What's Your Weirdest Quirk?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has a random snippet of dialogue ever popped into your head like that? It happens to me all the time. Please tell me I'm not alone.

That's pretty much how I write, most of the time.

Also, yes to the body-parts bags. (Not a serial killer, really.)

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I do/learn a lot of things for "research" or background information. I did fencing and archery for college gym courses, for example, since I mostly write fantasy, and normally I would stay far away from guns but when my friends went shooting I asked to join just so I could be familiar with how they feel in your hands, or the kickback from when they fire. I know way, way, way too much about Dr Who and Warhammer 40k because of some fanfiction commission work, and I've never watched/read/played anything from those IPs. The things I know about birds go way, way beyond what a birdwatcher or owner of a pet bird would know so sometimes it's hard to explain why I know what the analogue to the human thumb is the alula (alulas? alulae?).

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find that "I'm a writer" explains almost any weird bit of knowledge. They may think you're crazy, but it's a comfortable and easily-categorized sort of crazy. ;)

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
I was just making coffee when one of my grumpier character's voices popped into my head. He said, "Who ever said 'caramel' should go die in a hole... Please and thank you."

I laughed out loud. I have never written this and I have no idea where it came from.

Immediately, I build a scene where the speaker, a grumpy familiar, and his witch were trying to get order for their friends for ice cream flavors. The witch had warned the familiar not to be rude. Then someone asks for caramel ice cream. The familiar is so disgusted that he says "Who ever said 'caramel' should go die in a hole." The witch glares at him and he adds, "Please and thank you."

Has a random snippet of dialogue ever popped into your head like that? It happens to me all the time. Please tell me I'm not alone.

I love the witch and familiar scene you made from that!

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
I end up muttering lines of dialogue from scenes that I'm working on in my head without much regard for where I am at the time.
My search history is eclectic from research, as I imagine is the case with most writers.
As with a few others in this thread, I've picked up quirks from my characters more than once.

Muxy001

Muxy001
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmuxworthy.com
My friends and family have become paranoid because I write about them. Not fiction stories ... real stories about real things that happen in our lives. Sometimes, it gets me in trouble.

I'm getting close to finishing my first fiction novel. Much of the "thinking" that appears in my book has evolved from the interactions I have with people in daily life.

I'm passionate about lateral thinking creativity. I started a new page on my website a few days ago that features some of the dysfunctionality of our family. I talk about some of the problems we face and give examples of how I use lateral thinking creativity to prevail. Until recently, the family had no idea they featured so prominently in my teaching LOL

Anyway, my partner found the page where I talk about our family. She was soooo embarrassed because she found out about the page from her boss. She wants me to take it down. She says that it's not normal to tell everybody what goes on inside our home. I disagree.

My partner has ALWAYS known about my writing ambitions and my passion for lateral thinking. Does she have a point about privacy? Or is it reasonable to expect me (a writer) to relate personal experiences?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Anyway, my partner found the page where I talk about our family. She was soooo embarrassed because she found out about the page from her boss. She wants me to take it down. She says that it's not normal to tell everybody what goes on inside our home. I disagree.

My partner has ALWAYS known about my writing ambitions and my passion for lateral thinking. Does she have a point about privacy? Or is it reasonable to expect me (a writer) to relate personal experiences?

Where's this lateral thinking in writing about someone so obviously that their boss knows who you're talking about? Yes, she does have a very good point.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it lateral thinking, or is it trolling? I wonder if you've nailed the difference there?

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YES, oh brilliant creative lateral-thinking fruit-and-nut case, your partner does have a very good point. And, incidentally, all novels are fiction.:Hug2:

It's perfectly reasonable for anyone to relate personal experiences but it's completely selfish and unreasonable to do so in a manner that totally ignores the feelings of those who may be part of those experiences, especially if they are close family members.

QUOTE=Muxy001;10667254]My friends and family have become paranoid because I write about them. Not fiction stories ... real stories about real things that happen in our lives. Sometimes, it gets me in trouble.

I'm getting close to finishing my first fiction novel. Much of the "thinking" that appears in my book has evolved from the interactions I have with people in daily life.

I'm passionate about lateral thinking creativity. I started a new page on my website a few days ago that features some of the dysfunctionality of our family. I talk about some of the problems we face and give examples of how I use lateral thinking creativity to prevail. Until recently, the family had no idea they featured so prominently in my teaching LOL. I neither appreciate the link nor find that LOL in the least bit funny, considering the content of this and your next paragraph.

My partner has ALWAYS known about my writing ambitions and my passion for lateral thinking. Does she have a point about privacy? Or is it reasonable to expect me (a writer) to relate personal experiences?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Muxy001

Muxy001
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmuxworthy.com
My passion is lateral thinking and I hope to become the first successful writer of fiction that uses lateral thinking tools as tools of investigation.

My main character is like a lateral thinking detective, only he investigates alien encounters.

The thing about lateral thinking is that its approach mirrors that of humor. Mainstream thinking flows in a certain direction when "surprise", the answer is off on a tangent somewhere, on an exit you passed long ago without considering.

My quirk is looking for original creative humor and seeing how I can "shape" it with an alien twist. No kidding.

If anybody has some truly creative humor or puzzles they'd like to see up in lights, please send me a message.

Michael Muxworthy