Midnight bird excitement

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, we’ve gotten in the habit of letting deliveries marinate on our front porch for a day before bringing them inside. Yesterday we had a package dropped off. I noted it was right on the edge of the porch, in a cardboard box.

Last night around midnight, I heard rain begin. Because I was worried the box-on-porch might get soaked, I decided to go shift it inside.

Turned on the porch lights. Opened the door, and left it open behind me as I stepped out to move the box. And then remembered that we have our annual bird in a nest above one of our porch lights. Said bird freaked out when I stepped out, and… flew into the well-lit house, chirping loudly and flapping madly about.

I was most worried that our two cats would catch the poor thing before I could. I needn’t have worried about our big black idiot Dexter; he got as far as the stair landings upstairs, took one look downstairs, and Noped Out Hard back into our bedroom where he hid under the bed.

Cow-colored Zoidberg ran downstairs and was VERY VERY interested in tracking this flappy-flappy thing around the living room, kitchen, etc. When it finally landed on the living room floor, exhausted, I thought for sure she would pounce. But no, that it seems was the final straw for her, and she Noped Out Hard behind the couch. “WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING AND WHY IS IT IN HERE!?"

Poor bird did manage another flight into the kitchen, where it fell behind flower pots on the window sill, and I was able to catch and release it out the front door. Poor wee thing was terrified, and had worn all of the feathers off the top of its head from banging against ceilings and walls. I left the porch lights on, so that hopefully it could find its way back to its nest. Hope it survives.

The cats, meanwhile, took a looong time to creep back out. Zoidberg especially looked reproachfully at me, because I always accuse her of hearing things that aren’t there. “THERE WAS A FLAPPY THING IN THE HOUSE, MAN!? I TOLD YOU, WE’RE NOT SAFE AND YOU IDIOTS NEVER BELIEVE ME!!”

I love our cats, and I’m grateful they are morons.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Today, the cats are like "Yeah, we saved you losers from the Evil Bird Invasion. Worship us."

Or, more likely: "What are you talking about? Nothing happened last night. Worship us." They are nothing if not consistent.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
"Worship us" is definitely the cat default! :)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, the 'worship me' pose. Seated, head up and with tail delicately curled around front paws, right? That's the pose that Ming held for 30 minutes while he watched me try to evict a rat-'atuwee' from my kitchen. He did, however, turn his head to keep an interested eye on said rat as it sprang from floor to stove to kitchen curtains to counter tops and back again. Fascinating bouncy squeaky thing perused by shrieking hoomin. You have to admire his poise. He held it right through the final capture, which took place behind the fridge (with the help of a tennis racket, welding gloves and large hessian bag). Then, when rat had been removed to the great outdoors, he calmly mooched off and took a nap on the sofa. Clearly exhausted by the intense activity. Poor thing.

Busy_Sample

Registered
Reaction score
Love the cat story. I have two myself.

I had ran out of food the other night so in the morning, of course, both of my cats were at my door staring up at me, impatiently saying, 'Feed me human.'

I didn't want the two to follow me around, but I also had to work from home, and couldn't get to the store. I fed them each a half can of emergency wet food I keep around and went about my home office job.

About an hour later, I was trying to work when a fluffy white fur ball landed on my keyboard. 'Feed me human.'

I shoved him off and said, 'Later, Jake, leave me be.'

A moment later, a black blur rushed behind my computer, then a paw landed on the screen. Green eyes stared at me. 'Feed me now human.'

"Fiona," I groused. "I'm trying to work."

About fifteen minutes later, I heard the most painful chorus coming from the hall, "Meeeeeeoooooow. Meeeeeeeeoowwwww. Feed me human!" both cats at once.

I shook my head and took an early lunch just to get them cat food.

My son and I made memes later that day, just to dedicate to the hungry cats. It was a picture of their bowls with the words, 'Feed me human.'

You could make a meme from your story. I could see it on dumpaday.com, LOL