• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Speech marks or single quotation marks?

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I hope that someone might be able to assist me with this query.

So I was taught from my schooldays that when a person is speaking, you use speech marks. However, I've noticed that in a lot of novels that I read, they use single quotation marks. This has left me feeling very confused. I did look online, but I couldn't find anything consistent. I also tried the search bar on AW, and couldn't find an exact thread on it.

1) Which of the following is correct?

"Right," said Fred.

'Right,' said Fred.

2) Do you know if there is a UK/US difference?

Thank you in advance for your time.

katfeete

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunsetgrillcomic.com
This is a UK vs. US thing. It’s one of the things that threw me for a loop living in the UK and trying to use a UK keyboard (the keyboard shortcuts for double and single quotes were reversed. So. Much. Backspacing.)

If you’re in the US your first example is the correct one. In the UK, it’s the second.

See this link for more info.

Last edited:

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, katfeete. Your comment and the link is incredibly helpful.

I'm a little disappointed because I'm from the UK, and I prefer speechmarks! Haha. I'll have to get used to it.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To my dumb eye that's not the clearest of links regarding speechmarks for direct spoken dialogue.

I'm in the UK, Animad345, and I've used speechmarks all my life as you have in your first example.
"Right," said Fred.

I'm not published, but I just bought a UK printed book and it has double quotes for direct spoken dialoge, too.

There does appear to be a difference between UK and US usage, but I doubt it's a killer issue - at least not here in the UK.

I also just had a peek at my UK printed copy of Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass and it has double quote marks for direct spoken dialogue, too.

Could well be up to the publisher's house style.

It seems the choice of using double quote marks for quotations is more loosely applied here in the UK than in the US - it appears to be obligatory in the US, hence the US preference for single quote marks for direct spoken dialogue.

Unless I've got it all screwed up as well (Was going to put a 'shrug' emoji in here but he doesn't want to appear!)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Printing books with single quotes is a publisher's decision, I write using double quotes.

I've said before in older threads, I remember when the switch-over to single quotes occurred in printed books in the UK, sometime in the '70s I think, and it was very unpleasing to the eye. Heck I had series of books that no longer matched up, earlier releases had double quotes, later releases had single quotes. Bewildering choice.

As said, now double quotes usage seems common again. I hope you didn't run and search/replace every double quote in your novel to singles!

I'd file this under "no biggie." :)

-Derek

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Also UK here, also use double quotes for speech. Use what you prefer in your drafts then leave it up to a publisher or typesetter to alter if required - just be consistent.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Bufty, Derek and onesecondglance - thank you so much, that is very reassuring. It's something that's truly mystified me for a while! This is helping me to not stress about it too much for now.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
The UK style is also correct throughout the Commonwealth. Apart from anything else, it's just a common courtesy to your editors to not make more work for them by using the correct speech marks for the industry you're targeting.

I think some of the confusion comes from being taught to use these "" when you're a kid.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
When using speech marks ,it is normal in US or UK , to use doubles " " and to use single ' ' If used within those doubles.
" maybe someone can call me 'Sir' for once ," said fred .
There are no hard and fast rules about speech marks. I have seen all possible variations recommended in different grammar books.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably offending every style guide maven at once, or at least the poor bastard who'll have to typeset this, by using single apostrophes typed twice.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The several recent books I checked (printed in UK and including a Harper Collins imprint) all used double quotes as speech marks for surrounding direct spoken dialogue.

I think one would have a hard time claiming there was a fixed 'UK style', and I doubt using double quotes for direct speech would be a submission killer- unless maybe single quotes were specifically requested.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably offending every style guide maven at once, or at least the poor bastard who'll have to typeset this, by using single apostrophes typed twice.

Why are you such a monster and what did pressing shift do to hurt you?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. As Stephen explained, for US publications, double quote marks are standard. The only use for single quote marks are quotes within quotes such as: The lawyer joked, "I know Susan prefers 'Sue,' but I'm afraid the shorter version might incite litigation."

However, much the same as the Beatles, Doctor Who, the Rolling Stones, and Midsomer Murders, lots of folks on this side of the Atlantic love to be Anglophiles. Many think single quotes are too cool and lazy not to show off. :greenie

Deafies still use two fingers on both hands to sign air quotes. I'm trying Albedo's double apostrophes. They make my forefingers tired, but it's good signing exercise. :applause:

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you such a monster and what did pressing shift do to hurt you?

Haha. And if you think that's bad, I think I've got LibreOffice's autoreplace configured slightly different on each device I use to write, so some of my drafts have a mix of curly quotes, straight quotes, or apostrophes depending on which computer I typed them on the day. Not to mention what it does to my dashes and ellipses. Word processors should be illegal.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A Canadian here, with no training, but a lot of reading.
Double quotes for speech. Single quotes for speech in speech, or non-speech in text?
I am a muddle, reading both British and American styles. As long as I can tell people talking from something someone said, or thought, in the past, I'm good.

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
UK resident here and another vote for your first example. It is how I have always worked and what looks right to me.

I would suggest you pick one version and stick with it. As others have remarked, should you ever be published, the publisher will impose their own house style on the text. I am sure they would appreciate consistency.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. And if you think that's bad . . .

Alex"s possessives might look like this in Peacock"s closed captions in the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express, starring Albert Finney as Hercule :crazy:. It's not computer-generated, because all other spelling and punctuation are correct. Only double quote marks in place of every apostrophe--don"t, you"re, Poirot"s. As someone remarked, at least it"s consistent. :greenie