How to get the page numbers to begin on the 3rd page instead of the first in Word?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have finished with my linked short story collection, but now as I try to make the title page and the table of contents so I can upload to Draft2Digital, I can't figure out how to get the page numbers to start where I want. On the very first page I have my title. On the 2nd page I have my table of contents and, finally, the story starts on the third page.

Is there anyway to get number 1 to start on page three?

I'm not sure what version of Word I have, the latest, I believe. I can check with a more tech-savvy family member if you need that info to help me out.

I was about to rip all my hair out trying to figure this out, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I think you need to find the 'Page Number' option in the 'Header and Footer' section of the 'Insert' tab, then click on 'Format Page Numbers'. In the 'Page Numbering' bit you should be able to experiment to get what you're aiming for? (Hope that helps or that someone more experienced might be able to help if my bit doesn't work! :))

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I think you need to find the 'Page Number' option in the 'Header and Footer' section of the 'Insert' tab, then click on 'Format Page Numbers'. In the 'Page Numbering' bit you should be able to experiment to get what you're aiming for? (Hope that helps or that someone more experienced might be able to help if my bit doesn't work! :))

I tried this, but it didn't really do what I wanted. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? What should I do after I get to the Page Number Format box?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I've just tried it on a document of my own. It looks like the nearest you can get would be to have the page numbering start from zero, thus making your table of contents page 1. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to suppress the page numbers on the first two actual pages in my version of Word either - sorry! (I mean, you can change it to 'Different First Page' in the 'Design' tab, but that only hides the actual page number from view.)

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hi Second Moon,

Confusingly, what you need isn't actually in the "page numbers" part -- it's a section break (which you'll find in the Layout tab in MS Word). Hang on, I'll try find you a short How To...

Okay, try this one.

Last edited: