Music Library Software

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of re-organizing all of my multimedia, and cleaning out my libraries of junk that I've collected over the years since a recent SAN crash left me in recover mode. I thankfully have recovered probably 99.9% of all my 6 TB of data, and am in cleanup mode now where I am removing duplicates, and hopefully streamlining things for easier future management.

This Herculean task includes coming up with a new system for managing all my multimedia, ranging from photographs taken, to audio files, and videos. I realize that one all-encompassing app to manage all these libraries is likely non-existent. Even if there was one, it would probably be too heavy-handed to deal with the various metadata fields that span different file types. So, I'm trying to organize things by media type.

Photography
The lions share of my files are photographs from over 10-15 years, and this is already pretty well dialed in via my Adobe Lightroom software which has its own database of metadata tags for things like f-stop, shutter speed, etc. When I finished the SAN recovery, the Lightroom database was intact, so that's pretty taken care of.

Music
I am still in search of a good platform for the music files (though video is coming soon too). The current mainstream ones like Apple iTunes, Google Play, and Microsoft Media Player are all well and good for music native to their libraries, but I've got music from all of them (plus my own content that I've created). I've already talked to a few musicians (my boss - a drummer, and my brother-in-law - a composer), and they both admit to just using folders and filenames in their operating system to organize things. I'd rather let an app do the work for me though, so am wondering: is there any sort of desktop-based software that is good at organizing/managing music files? My primary goal here is to be able to organize my music by artist, genre, and album. Additionally, the ability to update/correct ID3 container information for things like bitrate, codec, track number, release date, etc. would be nice too. Currently I am using a free utility called MP3tag, but that's only for ID3 editing, not really for music management. The best thing I can think of is to ask others, so here we go: what music management software do you use for your audio files?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
what music management software do you use for your audio files?

It's not great but I use iTunes.

* You can copy (rip) CDs.
* You can import and play non-Protected (DRMless) music from other sources:

https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/import-items-already-on-your-computer-itns3081/windows

You can add metadata by hand or semi-automate track ids:

https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/change-song-and-cd-information-itns2937/windows

There are a bunch of Windows alternatives though:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-music-management-tools-for-organizing-your-mp3s-2438774

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
For organizing and playing, look into Music Bee. It supports editing tags (AKA Metadata). If you're using primarily MP3 files, MP3Tag is your friend. I've done some massive changes, adjusting who directories/folders at once. Both of these are Win10 and free although I suggest MP3Tag's Florian should get a donation now and again. He's "good people" and he ...ah... busts his butt to keep MP3Tag up to date. Too bad he doesn't hane .WAV files.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
.WAV doesn't support metadata, so that's not something that can be fixed. MP3tag is good for MP4s as well as MP3, so I second that recommendation.

I've been looking at Media Monkey for a Windows replacement for iTunes - seems fully featured, and it offers iPod syncing, which Music Bee doesn't. TBH that's the only reason I haven't already gone with Music Bee, though.

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Purely asking a question for enlightenment - I just finished sorting out a CD I ripped (I own the CD - really!). The meta-data (or what ever) had some errors. What was I tweaking to get the names right?

Onward! I tried Media Monkey and it just didn't light my lights. OTOH, I have no I-anything save a scanner tool cleverly name iCopy. Point being iTunes ain't no thing here. [/ grin]

Once again I escape the dread grasp of the bitten Apple. LOL

MusicBee has its quirks but, surprise, either I've learned to ignore them or work around them. Beats WinAmp and VLC.

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so an update here - it turns out the recovery software missed some files so I dejectedly had thought I'd lost a few hundred dollars of music I'd purchased in CD form over the past 20 years. Then, like an angel from above, the idea came to me to check the C drive for the iTunes library to see if there was anything in the Music folder in there, and glory be - there were all 4700 files (and about 40 GB of data) that consists of my MP3 music files - the rest of the 2 TB is video and image content mostly. Tax forms recovered too, which was the other big "yikes".

Anyway, now that I have all my music and it's sorted into artist folders and sub-folders, I am giving MP3Tag another go here and I noticed a convert function key (ALT + 1) whereby the filename can be updated to match the title name. Since there are often times where a song was ripped from two different CD's (say Allentown by Billy Joel off his Greatest Hits CD and the Allentown CD)...I no longer am running into problems because each album is in its own sub-folder.

Just donated $10 to the cause...brilliant software! :)

Course I still have to press the ALT+1+Enter key like 8K times - wonder if I could record a macro on this repetitive set of keystrokes and automate that even further.

Giddy as a school boy :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Purely asking a question for enlightenment - I just finished sorting out a CD I ripped (I own the CD - really!). The meta-data (or what ever) had some errors. What was I tweaking to get the names right?

CDs themselves rarely carry metadata. The vast majority of music ripping software looks up the metadata for a CD on a service like GraceNote, using the lengths of each track as an identifier - if you think about it, very few discs will carry the exact same number of tracks with the exact same lengths in the exact same order. GraceNote serves up metadata to the ripping software and you can then tweak it at your end. If there's an error, it's usually from when the GraceNote data is input by the music publisher; humans being human, mistakes happen. What you tweak is only changed at your end and not fed back up to GraceNote, allowing you to categorise your ripped files as you please (I for one have a very small and defined set of genre names used across my entire library, to keep things cleaner).

(There is a thing called CD-Text, that attempts to bring metadata to audio CDs, but it's not part of the Red Book CD standard (the thing that tells CD players how to play a disc) so not all manufacturers support or bother using it.)

As a sidenote, CDs don't actually contain WAV files. The audio on a CD is in linear PCM format, locked to 16 bits / 44.1kHz. WAV is a software implementation of linear PCM and supports many different bit depths and sample rates.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
CDs that are commercially produced use Redbook audio.

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
I know about CD's and WAV - it's the ripper's job to make the ripped usable for the ripee. I use Audiograbber out of habit. It uses FreeDB for title, etc. which I don't take be giving me the gospel truth. Better'n a poke in the nose, anyway.

Regardless of where "CowboysHoedownLament.wav" came from, it still says the artist is Hiram Hickenlooper, the album is When It's Two In The Morning, it was released in 2018, and the genre is Smooth Jazz. I look at the thing in MusicBee, and decide the artist is spelled Hyram. Where's that data living in the .wav?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
.wav can store metadata; the part you want is in the INFO section of the file.

Windows Media can edit .wav metadata for sure; we used to use iTunes and VLC player, also available for Windows as well as macOS and Linux.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I work in telephony and it's astounding how many telephone engineers don't know the basics of PCM and CODECS in the audio world. I start the discussion with "Who can give me an example of a codec?"

When I get crickets for the response, that's when I say "Anyone ever rip a CD to mp3 or wav files?" Unilateral yeses...those are codecs people! You are enCODing an audio file for playback using a specific format. When you go to play it back, then the player DECodes that format to make it an actual sound wave that you can hear. See how that works? enCOde and DECode?

Then I say Let's look at the wav format - what rate are you sampling at? Blank stares...
Can anyone help me understand sample rates? What's a sample rate you ask? Ok, let's go back to basics. How many times per second an audio sound wave is sampled? It depends on your usage. Anyone know what rate telephone audio is sampled at? Maybe one or two says hesitantly "8 khz per second"? Yes, but do you know why? Uh....

Ever hear of Nyquist theorum? Still blank stares...

All kids today think is T1's, SIP and bits, but they have no idea how that 8 bit depth is so critical to getting the 64kbps (8khz at 8 bits per second = 64 kbits/sec) that goes through just a single DS0.

Some don't even know what a DS0 is...they just go immediately to the T1 standard of 1.544 Mbps - not even realizing the math doesn't work out because of the 24 channels in the North American standards. (64kbps x 24 DSO's = 1.536 kbps - so where's the extra 8 bits coming from?) *clueless stares

It's funny but scary to think these are the same ones that are setting up the next generation of services by our ISPs in 5G worlds...

[/rant]

Back to your regularly scheduled audio discussions, and thanks for letting me rant :)

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Nyquist theorem...?

Yeah, I've sampled that...

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Not likely. You seem to be a Jeep and not a dragon. Jeep slaying rarely does well in fantasy novels.

See SYW shortly for a sample of a Jeep being cloven by The Claymore of Jeeps' Bane.