• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Bronzeville Books

Saraloves234

Registered
Reaction score
A new pub, Bronzeville Books is not paying its writers for a published book called Twisted Love which they took down. They are demanding a W9 but that is not legally required if the payment is less than 600 dollars. It is well below that and they did not ask any other writers before this publication for a W9. To be clear, they have paid other writers well above the 600 per year and not asked for a W9.

Here is a thread on it from one of the writers. I can't believe this.

https://twitter.com/kelli_owen/status/1257665997869322240?s=20

Look at the replies as well. They admit it they still won't pay her.

Last edited:

Saraloves234

Registered
Reaction score
A number of people I know are doing just that. Thanks for replying.

kelliowen

Registered
Reaction score
I have reported them to sfwa/victoria strauss and she is on it.

for here, for the record:
they are not only NOT paying me, they have now openly, publicly, on twitter, admitted they owe me and are blatantly refusing to pay me.

the bullet point details are at bit.ly/payauthorsBB (read the thread and all comments... unbelievable)

for those unsure about the W9 situation (or as I'm calling it: Stall Tactics 2.0):
California's new AB5 law is to designate between employees (W2) & contractors (1099). I fall under the 1099 rules. 1099 rules = contractors paid $600+ in a calendar year need to fill out a W9 & receive a 1099. They owe me less. thus no W9 legally needed. I'm an accountant by day and have explained this to them. THEY sent me an email yesterday saying if i didn't want to use my social security on the W9, i could get an EIN, and then they literally cited me the IRS page that explains what i just said about (re: contractors and $600 minimum)

PLEASE be aware of their nonpayment issues (apparently there's a history of this among other writers, staffers, editors, and freelancers who have worked with them. I know of at least two others still waiting for payment right now): don't submit to them, don't buy from them, and do research into those involved, not just the name of the company, because when this explodes in their face and they shut the doors, they'll likely come back under a different name with the same people still not paying on contracts...

hope everyone is healthy and stay safe!

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me understand why publishers do this. It's a story, not a full-length novel--how much could they possibly owe you? They're really going to let the entire writing community drag their name through the mud and ruin their entire company over a couple hundred bucks?? What a bunch of clowns.

kelliowen

Registered
Reaction score
Literally, it's $245. that's it. they actually involved a PR firm that costs god-knows-what rather than just paying it.

and in pulling it off sale to "reformat" they believe
1. they can just revert rights and take my story out, but first world rights have been used and they still owe me
2. when they republish it, it will be a "reprint" for all the other stories in it, and I bet they don't pay any of them for reprint rights...

as of tues 5/12/2020 - still not paid, and they have posted/pinned statements on the top of their twitter (https://twitter.com/BronzevilleB/status/1258806590343467008) AND their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bronzevillebooks/posts/550094729036850) pages stating they owe me and are blatantly refusing to pay until they get an unnecessary W9. withholding pay is illegal. they have contractual obligations. and while some may think it's only $245, it's not, there are other authors and at least one cover artist who haven't been paid either. it's a pattern, and the pattern has turned into email and now public bullying and demands. it's disgraceful.

HayleyWriter

Registered
Reaction score
So they are demanding a W9 - which they don't need - instead of just paying $245 and putting the matter to rest? Seriously, some publishers are so foolish they don't deserve to survive. Bad press stays on the internet forever. They will learn...too late.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, just file in small claims. Sue for total plus expenses. You'll win.

katfeete

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunsetgrillcomic.com
As someone who routinely collects W9s, this excuse is doubly lame. Even if one was required for a $245 payment (it’s not), all you have to do is document that you tried to collect one from the contractor at least three times and they refused. You put “refused to provide” on the eventual 1099 and it’s now the contractor’s problem. There is no earthly reason to treat a W9 as The End Of The World unless, you know, you didn’t actually want to pay the contractor for their work in the first place.

Good luck to you, and thanks for fighting the good fight.