Miraculous May - 500 words per day editing/writing - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Holy crap it's MAY!

How'd April go for you? Did you make your goals? Did you fall a bit short?

What are your goals for this month?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
April went okay. I wrote a decent amount of words, nothing huge, but enough to keep moving. Still struggling with migraines/pinched nerve headaches and that's affecting my productivity. Usual stuff.

This month I'd love to finish The Vanishing. Deadline is July 1st, and I need June to revise, so this is do or die time. I've got about 11k left to go, maybe a bit more, so it is doable. As soon as I figure out what happens next. ;)

I also have a short story due June 1st. Haven't started and have not a single idea. Hopefully I'll get hit with lightning (figuratively speaking) soon.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So April went pretty well for me :)

I'm giving myself a week off to recharge and get some distance from the book, but after 19 months the first sections are pretty distant as is. My goal for the rest of the month is to get into editing - that's it, no hard targets, just get started.

Best of luck to everyone!
:Hug2: Saoirse, you can do it!

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
April was okay, although I am really running out of steam for editing - which is unfortunate, as that's what I'm doing in May.

I think this will be the 'final' edit (although I've said that before) at least until I've queried it for a bit and started my next project. I'd like to get the count down, but realistically, whatever I am left with after this pass is what I'm going with for the time being. I don't expect to be finished with the edit by the end of May, but if I can get somewhere near halfway through it will give me a target for June and hopefully a finish line.

OSG - I think you've earned a bit of a rest!

Saorise - Here's hoping that you get The Vanishing finished :)

My other hope for this month is that by the end of it, we're starting to put Covid19 in the rear view mirror!

Good luck everyone!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
April was weird. I wrote some. I crawled under a rock for part of it. I got less done than I wanted, and more done than I'd have expected.

May 1 I got editing notes for Finished Book. I need to organize those, and continue to make progress on Unfinished Book.

I also have a (very) small, tangentially writing-related project I'd like to get done, but we'll see.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations all :hi:

Hope you're all well and in good spirits.
April was pretty much a wash for me. My focus was elsewhere so not much accomplished on the writing front. May isn't starting out well either, a few hundred words so far, but hoping to gain a bit more ground by the time the end rolls around.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I'm back into it now. Got the draft printed out (all 400+ pages) and took my red pen to the first quarter yesterday.

This month will be tough for us all with the state of things right now, so hang in there, everyone. All we have to do is make it to June. Then to July. One day at a time. :Hug2:

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Almost the half way point of the month already!

I'm still editing and am up to page 83. Hoping to hit the midway point by the end of the month. It's the thought of moving on to either a query for my WIP, or starting my next project which is spurring me on!

Keep going everyone :)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
::cheers everyone::

I'm coming up on the ending of The Vanishing. Had to sit down and brainstorm some things. Getting there. :)

And I do have an idea for my short story, yay!

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
April went well, if a little tempered by the lockdowns.
May goal was to get invested in writing again.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello once again. Congrats on pushing ahead. Salutation InkFinger, best wishes for the journey. Lockdown life has certainly mixed things up.

I'm doing a little better this month, but still not outputting the numbers I'd like. I'll see where the second half of the month takes me.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
:hi: Inkfinger!

Good work, Saoirse - the end is always a nice feeling! And here's hoping for a strong second half, Zan.

I got another four chapters done today. Another ten to go, then I just have to implement all these changes... eek.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
InkFinger - I hear you on the lockdowns. :( Good luck with your goal.

Zan - Hope you can get back into the groove.

OSG - Thanks! The implementation of changes is always the hard part. Good luck with it.

I had to switch gears and focus on my short story, so that's been happening. I wrote 662 words on it today. It's about the daughter of the characters in the Reaper girl Chronicles, The Vanishing being book 3. I am fending off a spin off idea. :eek:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I am on revision for my 3rd 4th novel (second for my new agent) and have been doing about 600w/day - which is not bad for me, but I need to keep up the pace through June. So I thought I'd get a head-start here, and check in each day. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
OSG - Wow, four chapters today! Amazing work, way to go.
Saoirse - Thanks, working on my groove :)
Mccardey - Best of luck :) Keep up the word count.

I've come up with some ideas to round out my characters a bit and managed to get a few hundred words added. Not super duper progress but I'm going in the right direction.

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
Now deep into May and struggling with various projects. My novel in draft form is ... well, not where I want it. Am considering a major rewrite, even to introducing new elements. We'll see. I have a story due June 1 and am doing okay with that. Got some good feedback which is always helpful. I'm new to this site but I really like the idea of 500 words or writing/editing per day. I'll see if I can stick to that.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
:hi: Goshawk, mccardey! Best of luck to both of you.

I finished red-penning the draft, so now I just have to make all the changes. This is the bit where comments like "make less crap" become rather easier said than done. Still, I got through a decent chunk today. I suspect it will get harder towards the (less-polished) end.

A few more days of May to go - we can do it, gang :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I'm a little over a third of the way through this editing pass, and I feel it's going well. I am exhausted, though. It is so mentally tiring working at such close detail for so long. I wouldn't dare admit that anywhere other than a writer's board - it's not like it's physical work.

(I think this is my five-thousand-and-first post. Having totally missed the 5k anniversary, let me say now: woo! :hooray::ROFL:)