Is there a market for Gothic Romance?

readitnweep

Registered
Reaction score
By "Gothic Romance," I am referring to a romance with suspence and paranormal elements to the story as well as references to old houses in gothic architecture and old ruins. My story has a modern twist to Gothic Romance, and I have found some good volumes on Amazon but I'm not finding literary agents that reference any interest in queries for this genre in my search, so I wonder if there is still interest in the genre?

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Vampires seem to be having a bit of a boost right now, if they are a part of your Gothic romance.

Michiru

Registered
Reaction score
Hi readitnweep.

Have you tried tracing the books back to their agents? If you can find out who the agent (and/or publisher, some publishers don't ask for agents) of the published volumes are, you can query to them.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of some indie authors doing well with gothic romances but don't recall seeing agents/editors asking for them recently (not that I've been paying close attention). I would, as suggested above, look at recent-ish books similar to what you've written, whether or not they are being called gothic romances in marketing, and find the publisher (and agent if applicable).

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Gothic romance eventually evolved into romantic suspense. If you wanted to write your Gothic as a romantic suspense with paranormal elements, or romantic suspense crossed with urban fantasy, I'm sure plenty of readers would eat it up.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favourite authors is Daphne du Maurier and she was the undisputed queen of gothic romance. Her books remain wildly successful with all demographics.

Micheala

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure about publishers, but from a reader's standpoint I would 100% read a gothic romance. I think the field needs more. I think with a bit of research you may find an agent or editor that is indeed wanting that genre. Check manuscript wishlist.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
On the types pf romance I read I see gothic romances fairly often ans they seem popular. Have a look on amazon in your niche.