COVID-19 | Coronavirus May 2020

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly! There is no reason that front-line clerks should be forced to act as mask police. Particularly in the US where you've got idiots with guns wanting a fight about their 'rights'.
If anything, in these times, the manager or supervisor should be up front, sorting the sheep from the goats.

I am the Assistant Manager, and if I'm at work, I'm the manager on duty. I barely have time to serve my customers and try to keep the number of customers in the store down to the law mandated 5 at a time (there's usually a lot more in the store waiting). I certainly don't have time, nor inclination to battle the customers over masks, not for 16.50 an hour. We are understaffed, and over-worked as it is.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In case anyone wants a handy compendium.

All the President’s Lies About the Coronavirus

The Atlantic said:
President Donald Trump has repeatedly lied about the coronavirus pandemic and the country’s preparation for this once-in-a-generation crisis.

Here, a collection of the biggest lies he’s told as the nation endures a public-health and economic calamity. This post will be updated as needed.

On the Nature of the Outbreak

When: Friday, February 7, and Wednesday, February 19
The claim: The coronavirus would weaken “when we get into April, in the warmer weather—that has a very negative effect on that, and that type of a virus.”
The truth: It’s too early to tell if the virus’s spread will be dampened by warmer conditions. Respiratory viruses can be seasonal, but the World Health Organization says that the new coronavirus “can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather.”

When: Thursday, February 27
The claim: The outbreak would be temporary: “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle—it will disappear.”
The truth: Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned days later that he was concerned that “as the next week or two or three go by, we’re going to see a lot more community-related cases.”

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump's lackeys carrying his water:

NPR: CDC Director Says New Analysis Exonerates Agency On Testing Delay

Yeah right.

Not to mention at this point in time it wouldn't matter even if it were true. There were no tests when we needed them. We still don't have enough now.

I remind the gentle readers of this Lancet Editorial posted earlier: The Trump administration's further erosion of the CDC will harm global cooperation in science and public health, as it is trying to do by defunding WHO.

Mr Baby-tantrum-in-chief makes all kinds of threats he really doesn't have the authority to carry out. It's unclear if he can really 'defund' the WHO in his 'blame everyone but himself' fantasy world. And in his tantrum over Twitter daring to call him a liar, Trump made a bunch of hollow threats.

And on the, 'play Trump's handling of the pandemic up' front we get this unqualified claim:
Defense secretary says coronavirus vaccine will be available within months, but experts skeptical

Of course the claim is coming from other experts, which makes one wonder how much stock they all bought in Moderna just before the announcements. That stock went up 10% today.

Other experts are saying if a vaccine is made that fast it will be because normal safety tests have not been done. That worries me because I will likely be getting vaccine to vaccinate the EMS providers I work with. Health care workers are high on the priority list for COVID 19 vaccines. I was in the loop for the 2009 flu vaccine. I trusted that vaccine. Trump wasn't sticking his filthy little fingers into the pot.

Last edited: