Runon words in quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
In a few instances I posted something with cut and paste from an external source with unhappy results. Where the text was dropped in, everything looks fine. In preview. wordsrunon with no apparentexplanation. I thought line breaks might be the culprit. Except three words might be jammed together as well as two words.

AFAIK, the only cure is to snip apart the runon words manually. A handful in a 1200 word paste. :cry:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
In a few instances I posted something with cut and paste from an external source with unhappy results. Where the text was dropped in, everything looks fine. In preview. wordsrunon with no apparentexplanation. I thought line breaks might be the culprit. Except three words might be jammed together as well as two words.

AFAIK, the only cure is to snip apart the runon words manually. A handful in a 1200 word paste. :cry:

If it's a handful, then it shouldn't be too arduous. The red squiggly underline will help.

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
The problem isn't finding the run-on words. The red squigglies point them out. They do not, as,perhaps,seen here,point out proper spacing around commas. The squigglies also do not "automagically" snip things apart. All in all... see below

Charlie Gordon said:
Oneof the difficulties of owning and running a saloon is the lateclosing hours. One of the joys of owning and running a saloon is thelate starting hours. Unless a trip to Clem, the saw mill, or even toShow Low, is needed, there is no great urge to rush out of bed,frantic to be present to wait on the first, no doubt impatient,customer.Imust admit to an urge to be the early riser in my bachelor days ofnot so long ago. Now, should the sun peep over the window sill, I donot feel great remorse in being called, as I was addressed some timeback, a “slugabed”.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Does it happen if you cut from your original external source and paste into Notepad?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You're attempted to paste formatted text into a Web page, essentially.

That's bound to be tricky, and it isn't going to work here.

Web pages, like the forum pages here, use HTML. There's a limited range of characters that will work.

Some of the formatting in a Word Processor is in invisible characters; printer commands, formatting code, special spaces, etc.

If you're going to copy and paste, try pasting it first in Word Pad or another text editor, or in some apps, even an email.

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Does it happen if you cut from your original external source and paste into Notepad?
That seems to be the fix. Here's a sample, buffered through WordPad. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the blank lines used to separate para.s. At least it's easier than "snip, snip" between words. Note that it does at least transfer "'¿Que Mama?' 'Abrazo, niña.'" with the correct Spanish characters.

The Gordons said:
Charlie: Anne was playing peek-a-boo with Lupe. Anza was stirring laundry and checking a pot with something good in it. Charlie was sitting on the floor, abandoned by a dog. Tragic, Charlie, tragic.

Anne said, “oh, Lupe! Look! Tío Charlie looks so sad! Do you think he needs a hug?”

“¿Que Mama?”

“Abrazo, niña.”

Oops – a step too far. Lupe giggled and went for Mama’s skirts again.

Anne: Poor Charlie. First Josiah, then Collins, and now Lupe… your day wasn’t going well, was it?

Charlie: It wasn’t!

Anne: Shhhh, niño…

Charlie: If I didn’t know what was coming, I’d have worked up a real pout! I would have! And what’s this “niño”? When did I become “niño”?

Anne: Shhhh, querido…

Charlie: Now I’m listening…

Anne: Despite what that person says, Charlie really was on a bad luck streak. Josiah knew Charlie was avoiding whatever Josiah was trying to ask him, Collins wasn’t going to be Charlie’s best friend, Lupe voted “no” on the hug. Rejection, human and canine. Poor Charlie… Who didn’t know that his loving wife (I really am her!!) had a Plan.
(narrated in past tense, husband and wife, not everything is past tense, there's some "real time" chatter, too - Collins is a dog)

Last edited:

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
TNX for links to stickies. I was advised in PM about buffering through "dumb editor".

I don't fret about indents or use "poetic" formatting. Adding a blank line after a para is irksome.

In SWYW or whatever, I received a request for five digit word chunk of WIP. The best I can think of is to post a link to Drive, Dropbox, etc. I assume there's no support for even transient .DOC, .RTF, etc. files?

Code:
Good idea about code
. I use
Charlie Gordon said:
on occasion, but see code as useful, too
. HTML tags must be in caps here?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
TNX for links to stickies. I was advised in PM about buffering through "dumb editor".

I don't fret about indents or use "poetic" formatting. Adding a blank line after a para is irksome.

In SWYW or whatever, I received a request for five digit word chunk of WIP. The best I can think of is to post a link to Drive, Dropbox, etc. I assume there's no support for even transient .DOC, .RTF, etc. files?

Code:
Good idea about code
. I use . HTML tags must be in caps here?

HTML isn't supported for security reasons.

Nor do we allow links to drop box, files etc. If you want to do that with users, you negotiate with them via PM or email; you don't link on the forum.

A dumb editor is end-user for text editor. NotePad is one for Windows. You read the SYW stickies you'll notice some suggestions about how to post for crit.

The formatting code used by the site is a version of BBCode, created just for forums.

If you want to live dangerously, you can using the WYWIWYG editor (see your Settings).

It has an option to allow copy and paste from plain text and one to paste from MSWord (top row of icons, third and forth icon from the left, tiny clip boards).

It's iffy at best, will require cleanup to some extent, depends on OS and browser for how useful it is.

It is slower.

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
In general, the wizzywig editor has failed to be a reliable friend. I changed to whatever the one between simple and wizzywig is. So far, we're doing a good job of bonding.

Understood about the Secret Codes of Word, etc.

C&P to WordPad preserves blank lines. C&P from WordPad to any editor here results in no blank lines between para's.

All of my para's are left justified; no indents. I'll try the hack floating around here. I won't fret if it indents para's but "rather not".

Gotit re: mass storage. No worries abut that.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you spent some time reading other people's crit threads in SYW (and critting yourself) you'd notice no one has paragraph indent. It's a PITA to create them. You're sitting on top of HTML. You can't directly access a style sheet. You're limited to ASCII and a tiny Unicode subset. Multiple spaces in a row in HTML are ignored. You can't use spaces for intents.

Returns in HTML conversion require an empty line/hard return between paragraphs. Other wise you won't see a paragraph indent. Again, this is the nature of HTML which distinguishes between a paragraph (a paragraph tag pair) and a line break.

Spend some time reading SYW threads. You'll get the idea of what is possible, and what crits are like, and what it's like to be critted.

Status
Not open for further replies.