May 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research, or even just the everyday stuff you need to keep up with to support your writing.)

The idea is that repeating something daily will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
  • Try to do a little every day – even if it's just writing a sentence or two. It reinforces the habit of sitting down to write and makes it easier to get keep it up in the long run.
  • Be adaptive – You'll always be facing new challenges, and what works for someone else doesn't always work for you. What worked for you last week might not work this week. Try different types of goals, different times of the day, and different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, today.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and progress happens in tiny increments; you won't always notice it day by day, or even week by week.
  • Failure is a part of the process – Failure is a natural part of improving your skills. It lets you figure out what went wrong so you can do better in the future. When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar).

Remember: if you share your experiences in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days off. Find what works for you.

Good luck, and see you May 1st!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Since March 2, I've been working on my historical novel. Being adaptive is something I've really had to take to heart, and I'd say it's paid off. The pandemic has been a real boon to my work, allowing me extra time to fully work through processes that usually get short-circuited by my demanding schedule (work, martial arts twice weekly, church services, etc.) I've found some new tricks that are helping me work through my first draft and might become permanent fixtures in the tool box.

My goals for May are unchanged from April:

1. Work on the book a little every day, whether editing or drafting new words.
2. If, and only if, time allows, send short stories to market. Not planning to write any new ones at the moment, but who knows?
3. Keep scribbling ideas for future projects as they come, but don't get distracted from the WIP n omatter what!

Good luck, everyone!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Official fail on my second goal last month (short by four chapters), but goals 1 and 3 met. Thank you Magnus for the accountability thread.

For May:

1. Send short story to the 'Writers in lockdown' anthology, by May 10th.

2. Polish on 15 more chapters (up to chapter 26)

3. Add a blog post to website

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. Read
2. Write (at least 1000 words.)
3. Edit
4. Plan
5. (New) Research.

All of this on a daily basis.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
I actually get to start writing again!!!

Goal
- Write 500 words per weekday
- Write 1000 words each Sat and Sun.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ima keep on keeping on; Writing + Life = 1)Add to WIP 2)Responsibility/Self-care 3)Actions to increase prosperity

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
DAMAP = Do As Much As Possible

yoshinocho

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

New and putting my own oar in here for accountability. Will try and update frequently (is daily allowed?) or weekly or so. Just gotten started back up writing again after a long hiatus and I'm trying to develop a strong and sustainable habit.

My writing goals for May 2020:

Write 500+ words every day on 1st draft of SFF novel.
If possible, boost my daily word count closer to 1000 words.

Larger goal:
Finish WIP novel before Nanowrimo. Start a new novel for Nanowrimo. Rinse and repeat.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, once again today wasn't as productive as I'd hope. Went to bed with a headache, woke up with a headache an hour later, and although I feel better now I read over yesterday's work thinking "Huh?" and needed some extra time to get into the groove. Page and a half...I think.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome (back) everyone!

I'll be checking in later in the month. Currently I'm waiting for new glasses. I get tired if I read or write for longer than 15 minutes so I'm off the hook for a while. I'll be off on a hike to pass the time until I can focus properly again.

yoshinocho - You can check in every day, that's what most of us do!

Last edited:

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Day one update: I had the day off today and wrote over 1700 words of new material in Book 2 up through chapter 3. I will start on chapter 4 tomorrow.

Prophecies

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My goal is to finish my rough draft by the end of this month. But as it deals with historical events, coordinating time between research and writing is quite difficult. I'm so glad I wrote a scene by scene outline for my book, because it keeps me on track. Yesterday, I wrote 1 scene, less than usual, but it was 1,002 words. Aiming for 3-4 scenes today, around 750 words each.

Good luck everyone- there's a cold snap in Australia right now, and as House Stark says, winter is coming!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Here we go again!

Daniel - 1437 is a good word count (and 1K+ which means serious work) hope the ride is wild because you're enjoying it.
Prophecies - welcome aboard!
everyone else - get on with it! :)

I just gave up for the day. 1531 words done on Fishy Tail. Kaylee and Angela got attacked by a shark on the plane (it's underwater). Perhaps it likes Mermaid sandwiches.

184 words done on Dustworld. Etia and Rodney got on the guard wagon and learned their boss's name. He's called 'Boss'.

Research:

All about whale shit.

Non-writing

Another trip out for supplies.
Ordered some face masks, I'm hoping they come this year.

keep swimming... don't get the bug.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Great page & 1/2 Taylor :)
Have a good weekend April
Magnus!
Way to start the month, KR
Hello Prophecies
Congrats on all those words, Keity :)

Day 1

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - a wee bit of tidying & crafting
BP/$$ - earnig service

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor: I hear you. Hope your headache goes away and you feel better soon.

April: Enjoy your weekend!

Robert: Nice work! Good start to the month!

Keithy: You swam well! Good effort and progress!

Layla: Hey! Solid as always!

Me: Ouch. Today I only wrote 178 words. I woke up at 5 P.M. feeling exhausted and I’ve been lethargic most of the day. I’m just not able to do much today, methinks. So I’m glad I beat the blank page more than anything else. I’ll more than make up for my word counts on later days, methinks, so it’s not so much of a loss. I critiqued a story today though, so at least I accomplished that too.

Here’s hoping tomorrow goes better! I’m pooped and going to try and sleep.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 1

Word Count 241

Research - wrist gauntlets, having lunch on a crossbeam 104 stories above street level. Brands of tequila (I chose Patron. I’ve got to be careful about adding El to it, as in El Patron aka Pablo Escobar the Columbian coke Kingpin. Chalk it up to too much research on the crime novel. Brad Pitt wasn’t available to pose for my new book idea cover, but I found a quasi lookalike on iStock. He ain’t Pitt, but he ain’t the pits.

yoshinocho - Glad to have you! :hi:

Taylor - Good writing!

Donovan - 1700 is a great May Day word count

Propheses - Nice word count!

Daniel - Beating a blank page is BIG! WTG

Layla - Starting the month steady as you do!

Keithy - 1531 on Fishy Tail and 185 on Dustworld--you’re doing it write!

My word count is way below par when I show up. Lol. I did have three writing-oriented sessions yesterday, though. I proofed 9 chapters of the historical and fleshed my new book idea out a bit, came up with a character (Brad Bohannon) and the what, why, how, and where. The working title is Apocalypse. It was inspired by Covid 19, but I’m not sure I’ll use a virus.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 1- 616 words

April was kind of a wash, what with losing access to the Internet for two weeks and worrying about losing my freelance job as a result. Plus I may have bitten off more than I can chew by attempting to write an eight-book romance series. It's all one story, which means pantser me has to plot. It doesn't help that I'm writing the books piecemeal, and out of order to boot. No wonder my brain shut down.

So I'm scaling back a bit for May. I'm aiming for 500 words a day, random scenes from whichever "chapter" hits me, but primary focus on Book 2. Let's see if I can get that done by the end of the month. Book 1, I realize now, has a different feel and tone from the way the others are shaping up. I was writing Book 1 as a horror story while the others are lighter and faster. Book 1 will be getting an overhaul.

This is why I wanted to have at least the first three done in draft form before I contacted the publisher. Imagine if the first two-three books came out and then I hit a wall. I might have to write five or six now before I feel confident enough I can finish it within a reasonable time frame. Stephen King had to get hit by a van to get motivated enough to finish the Dark Tower series. I'd rather not do that.

One scene, one page at a time. Sounds like a plan.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote just under four pages this morning, thus concludeth my first draft of Chapter 7. The main difficulty has been writing about detectives when I have no formal education in detective work (or even how the true-life characters handled the investigation). The historical setting makes it more difficult. Whereas I was able to learn about an important divorce case in just a few days, these guys are having to assemble court records from different locations without the benefit of computers or even wide-spread telephone service (1910), so of course it would make sense that they don't know everything even after two weeks of work. Might need to find someone in my beta readers to help me with this aspect.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CindyT: Still, you beat that blank page too. Congrats! Also, solid researching!

Pterofan: Hey! 500 words/day sounds good. That was Hemingway’s word count! All in due time, methinks! One scene, and page, at the time sounds like a solid plan.

Taylor: Yeah, that sounds complex. Nonetheless, congrats on the (just about) four pages! Nice!

Layla: All of the things, yeah!

Me: 868 words. Doing better today. Edited, and completed, the second draft of the short story I was working on. I think it might be my strongest short story to date. Sending it to a beta/critique/editor friend of mine that’ll let me know. Fingers crossed! I’m going to do some loose planning tonight and I took my meds early so I can start tomorrow fresh. I finished The Collected Stories of Isaac Babel and am just about done Raymond Carver’s Collected Poems. Also, took two walks today (30 minutes) with my dog. A full day, indeed!

Until tomorrow!

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - ah don't worry about the odd bad day. Think about the average, that means you've got some really good days too.
Cindy - Ah I had an idea for an Apocalypse story a while ago... and I forgot what it is now!
Pterofan - yeah, usually I write sequentially but sometimes I jump about... and I never start at the top of chapter 1.
Taylor - arggh, detective work, I've spent so much time learning about terrorist investigations and forgot most of it now. :)
Layla - I'm sure your things were well done (even the cakes, unlike King Alfred.)

OK I had a semi-day off today. 823 words done on Fishy Tail. Kaylee and Angela have managed to escape the shark by squeezing through some crates on the submerged cargo plane, and they have the diplomatic bag they were after. I am considering having them be chased around on the island by the terrorists or straight back to base.

Dustyworld - making some decisions about tech level. No swords. It's a bit steam-punky, with rifles and a few repeaters. So about US Civil War era.

research

More cheerleading. :e2cheer: (I'll avoid those in Fishy tail)
19th Century weapons etc.

non-writing

the usual crap.

keep on swimming! Those sharks will get you otherwise.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 2

I formated and spot proofed 15 chapters.

Daniel - WTG on the word count. I'm reading Devoted by Dean Koontz. It has 130 chapters. Did I mention it has 130 chapters? I'm past 100 now. Lol.

Keithy - Sounds like a nice semi day to me. I have my doomsday premise written out, or I would forget mine too. Actually, I've never forgot a book idea--that I can remember, but I've forgotten whole scenes for my current book. D'oh.

Layla - :hi: as you speed by

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Cindyt: Good luck formatting. Oh how I loathe formatting.

Keithy: Sounds like a decent day to me.

Daniel: You are a champ of productivity!

Layla: Honk honk!

Taylor: Excellent job completing the chapter!

Pterofan: Great start to the month. That’s a very sensible approach re the series. I can only write open-ended series … if I lock myself in then my brain shuts down.

More musing yesterday and today. There’s a new character appearing in Book 3 and I need some time to figure out who he is. I don’t want to do too much—I like to find stuff out as I go—but I need a wee bit more before resuming drafting tomorrow.