Writing About Controversial Subjects: Nazism, WWII, Modern Germany, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophecies

Registered
Reaction score
You'll have to deal with it if people disagree with you, too. This goes both ways.

You also have absolutely no idea about the backgrounds and experiences of other people on this forum.

Yeah, I know that, and there is no need to talk to me about the 'backgrounds and experiences of other people on this forum' like I'm a child, when I have not made a single presumption, besides saying that sensitivity readers come from mostly wealthy countries (which a) is true and b) I said 'mostly' which allows for some exceptions). To clarify, I've discussed this privately with the original poster. I'm willing to move on, and if anyone offers sensitivity reading here, I have no problem as long as you don't charge for it, or shame the writer. As for my knowledge, neither of those things happen.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Yeah, I know that, and there is no need to talk to me about the 'backgrounds and experiences of other people on this forum' like I'm a child, when I have not made a single presumption, besides saying that sensitivity readers come from mostly wealthy countries (which a) is true and b) I said 'mostly' which allows for some exceptions). To clarify, I've discussed this privately with the original poster. I'm willing to move on, and if anyone offers sensitivity reading here, I have no problem as long as you don't charge for it, or shame the writer. As for my knowledge, neither of those things happen.

You're the OP. And you raised the topic of sensitivity readers in your first post. If you need to clarify what you meant 25 posts later, maybe your writing isn't quite as nuanced as it could have been.

And pay people for their work.

Prophecies

Registered
Reaction score
You're the OP. And you raised the topic of sensitivity readers in your first post. If you need to clarify what you meant 25 posts later, maybe your writing isn't quite as nuanced as it could have been.

And pay people for their work.

So we disagree, and that's fine. But I didn't want to go off-topic, which this thread is becoming. No clue why you are saying 'maybe your writing isn't quite as nuanced as it could have been,' unless you are trying to pick a fight, which I'm not in the mood for.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But I've seen how Twitter misinterprets particular Young Adult books, and yeah, it saddens me.
Don't write a YA book. Just because your MC is a teenager at the start of the book, doesn't mean it 'has' to be YA. Write an adult book about a teenager's choices and give your book a better chance at the audience you're looking for.

Prophecies

Registered
Reaction score
Don't write a YA book. Just because your MC is a teenager at the start of the book, doesn't mean it 'has' to be YA. Write an adult book about a teenager's choices and give your book a better chance at the audience you're looking for.

Hello, thank you replying. My book isn't YA, my protagonist is 20 years old, and finishes the novel around 28. I mentioned YA because although not my genre, I have heard horror stories. I'll ensure my book is strictly literary, with some spec elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.