Make sure you click the tiny Remember Me box

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth remembering that sequence of activities--it solves pretty much every tech problem at AW that's not happening to everyone. I don't know the why or anything, but I know it works.

Maryn, who knows her log-in by heart

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
I routinely have the same problem. I've conjured up a few work-arounds to save posting text, but otherwise get bounced out after almost any step here.

Re-launching the browser is an option, but adds workload for restoring other tabs needed when not here. Flush cookies/per day is a non-starter. Otherwise, I do a total clean up with CCleaner routinely.

"Remember me" is AFAIK cookie-driven. To date, it's never worked here.

I'll try a couple of other browsers in the event it's Chrome (default browser here) that's the culprit.

The user name & password are managed by LastPass and fill in as expected. For some reason, vBulletin, which I see/use on other sites, blanks the password but not username. However, vBulletin seems to accept that the password was there. Very odd.

How common is this problem?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously. Do this *in this order*

Log off
Make sure you know your login
Clear your cache and cookies
Completely shut down your browser, closing all tabs and windows
Log back on to AW
Make sure you click the tiny Remember Me box

If you do that, the server will not time you out UNLES you are inactive for 60 minutes.
In active means you:

* Have not requested a page
* Have not clicked a link
* Have not posted

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Small nit - clearing cache & cookies prior to closing the browser means the cache begins to refill, and possibly cookie(s) from AW are acquired. Since cache contents and any cookies center on activity with AW, when restarting traces of prior activity with AW are already present.

- - more - -

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
- - resuming - -

Very interesting...The post above went through without the otherwise usual "not logged in" state getting in the way of any activity - posting, editing profile, etc.

Right now response times are on par with most sites I use with any browser. If I get the AW info about activity around DDOS correctly, either loading is way down at the moment (1830 EST - GMT-5) or Firefox and AW get along much better.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Small nit - clearing cache & cookies prior to closing the browser means the cache begins to refill, and possibly cookie(s) from AW are acquired. Since cache contents and any cookies center on activity with AW, when restarting traces of prior activity with AW are already present.

- - more - -

Unless you actually do something, the cache isn't going to refill.

I didn't pull the process out of my ass.

• I've been adminning the server siince 2006.
  • I've been running servers and supporting server users since 1998.
  • I actually looked at the scripts with a debugger and testers running several OSs and browsers and two scripts to track what happened on the end users' browsers.
  • It will help.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
- - resuming - -

Very interesting...The post above went through without the otherwise usual "not logged in" state getting in the way of any activity - posting, editing profile, etc.

Right now response times are on par with most sites I use with any browser. If I get the AW info about activity around DDOS correctly, either loading is way down at the moment (1830 EST - GMT-5) or Firefox and AW get along much better.

I wouldn't use Chrome unless you paid large amounts of money.

Right now the security measures are toned down. The difference in traffic is considerable. If bot activity increases, the proxy kicks in, and things slow.

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Nobody, certainly me, is questioning your credentials. Without bragging or engaging in a p***ing contest, I've been an IT pro in academic, industry, military, and private settings. So what. Who hasn't. :)

OTOH, transposing cache clearing and cookie deletion and shutting down the browser costs nothing. Can't hurt, might help. As I said, consider it a minor nit picking.

Given the overall increase in performance, and absence of "not logged in" events, it suggests that reasonable measures to address attacks might cause some problems. Handshaking in the https setting isn't that robust or elastic, by intent. That's life in the big city.

Chrome works better for me, Firefox, Opera, Bravo, etc. work for you. I happen to like the color purple, too. It's all very so what.

Take a deep breath, enjoy one of the virtual bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape I sent just now. Salud! :)

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Me. I haven't.

Oh dear.
Count yourself blessed. Faculty meetings could be funny if they weren't so d*** long. Contract officers, with at least one very good exception, should not be allowed anywhere near their projects, for lack of competence Being a civilian contractor means having to park in at least the next ZIPcode, if not area code, from the main building. Being a sub means just that, kept under. I thought being a private consultant (oooh!) would be tolerable until I got a panic call, one dark evening, from a client "Machine won't work!! All is dead!! Work due yesterday!!" and calmly flipped the big red switch to make the pretty winky lights come on. At least I had a minimum plus T&M. Or the last client - who tried to stiff me for a bill. Literally minutes before filing a suit to reclaim same, he paid up (blind coincidence - honest). I retired. You ain't missin' much.

How was the Chateauneuf? :)

ADDED: 13.2K posts? I feel so in adequate. But don't mind me, I'm still here but my brain went home hours ago.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Count yourself blessed. Faculty meetings could be funny if they weren't so d*** long. Contract officers, with at least one very good exception, should not be allowed anywhere near their projects, for lack of competence Being a civilian contractor means having to park in at least the next ZIPcode, if not area code, from the main building. Being a sub means just that, kept under. I thought being a private consultant (oooh!) would be tolerable until I got a panic call, one dark evening, from a client "Machine won't work!! All is dead!! Work due yesterday!!" and calmly flipped the big red switch to make the pretty winky lights come on. At least I had a minimum plus T&M. Or the last client - who tried to stiff me for a bill. Literally minutes before filing a suit to reclaim same, he paid up (blind coincidence - honest). I retired. You ain't missin' much.

That certainly put me back in staff meetings.

ADDED: 13.2K posts? I feel so in adequate. But don't mind me, I'm still here but my brain went home hours ago.

If it makes you feel better, mccardey averages 3.6 posts a day, while you're on 10 posts a day.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, mccardey averages 3.6 posts a day, while you're on 10 posts a day.
:(

That's only 'cause I write books. And look after chickens and puppies and stuff. Also small children*

I could totally do ten posts a day if I put my mind to it...

ETA: *(not mine).

Last edited:

RBEmerson

Registered
Reaction score
By way of apology for missing on the virtual chateauneuf, I offer a choice of a nice Petrus or, if your tastes run to whites, might I suggest a very fine Riesling made with fruit from wife's personal vine (among others). Latter being no joke, she was given a certificate showing ownership one vine and one bottle per year. If this d*** covid ever lets us return to Germany. Grrr...

Re: 10/day, trust me, that will trail off. I'm not getting much work done on WIP. Or maybe I'm hiding out from (horrors!!!) proofing work to day date. Nice story but soooo many typos and soooo many... please don't let me write no more lists. Please. [/laugh]

Question: How do I default to "no emoji"?

Last edited: