Favorite Creatures/Beings

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
I like old school fae, the ones that are very "other", not so much the modern retelling where they're just humans with powers. I also like gods and godlike beings, especially when it's a behind the curtain's view of them.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
If they do speak, it should be in words and ways that aren't readily understood - or which are misunderstood - by puny humans...

I remember in Babylon 5, when the unimaginably ancient Vorlons spoke, the writers would write out what they were saying, then pare it down to the absolute minimum, which was usually just one or two words or an enigmatic "Yes." They were communicating in as simple a way as they could to the tiny-brained humans/other sapients, but the meaning and nuances often flew right past them.

Yes, that did work to keep a sense of mystery about them. It still made them somewhat knowable., but that's okay considering that they eventually became characters that the protagonists could argue with.

I'm thinking about the end of Schlock Mercenary, where the unknowable beings suddenly have dialogue and we even get a POV for them. I get what Howard Taylor was doing but for me it was a disappointment that the terrible Lovecraftian beings were suddenly snarking just like the mortal characters.

Faraway_

Registered
Reaction score
The Djin from Under the Shadow horror flick where the evil spirit rides in with the war.

Also the Seraphim angels depicted by Ezekiel in the bible, they are wild with their synchronised moving rings.

Matangi, a base goddess of Hindu mythology with her sweaty green skin, intoxicated eyes and red jewels, what an idol.

TheKingsWit

Registered
Reaction score
I have a weird soft-spot for Baku, creatures from Japanese mythology which eat dreams and nightmares. While like most mythological creatures their description has changed over time, one of the most wide-spread myths surrounding them is that if you call for one three times after having a nightmare, one will come and devour your nightmare. However, use caution, for if the Baku is still hungry it may eat your waking dreams, your hopes and aspirations. They're traditionally depicted as either a Tapir or a chimera made of the pieces left over when the gods finished creating the other animals, and are typically associated with protection. Of course, the version of the Baku which made me consider using them in my writing was the humanoid Baku seen in manga like Nightmare Inspector and Baku no Bikke, which tend to involve all sorts of cool dream shenanigans. Actually, I just love most creatures from Japanese folklore. Take Tsukumogami, for example, inanimate objects which gain sentience after 100 years. Kasa-Obake are a particular favorite, Umbrellas most commonly depicted with one eye, hopping around on one leg.

From European lore, I'm a fan of selkies, the more vicious take or sirens/mermaids. I'm certainly not against a good dragon either, though I've gotten a bit picky about how they're depicted these days.

TurbulentMuse

Muse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for anything like demons that can possess people, there needs to be more stories about people sharing heads. Also it's a bit embarrassing but I'll always love vampires.