Favorite Creatures/Beings

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what everyone's favorite creatures or humanoid beings are? I welcome insight into what is trending and what is up and coming, too. Why are they your favorite or what do you like about them?

Also, are there any you don't like?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First one that comes to mind is the plant on Little Shop of Horrors. "Feed me. Feed me!" I wouldn't say it's trending. :tongue

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what everyone's favorite creatures or humanoid beings are? I welcome insight into what is trending and what is up and coming, too.

If you're thinking of "catching a wave", I suspect that's not possible. Something already trending popular is likely going to be saturated in the fiction market by the time you'd be pitching a novel (or maybe even a short). "But everyone loves vampires!" is not what a publisher wants to hear, if they're looking at hundreds of vampire novels already out there.

But if you're just curious, I'll always have a soft spot for Larry Niven's "Pak" from his novel "Protector". An alien humanoid species, they were our colonial progenitors (hand-wave at the complete inability of the fossil record to support this idea -- it was the 1970s, yo). Turns out Earth lacked a crucial soil nutrient to successfully grow their "tree of life" plant. The root of this was needed to hormonally spur an adolescent Pak into transitioning to adulthood. Adolescent Paks were violent promiscuous idiots who lived only for the day, whereas the adults were long-term thinkers with radical body modifications (like a second heart, stronger bones, skin like leather) who couldn't breed. So, the Pak colonies quickly diverged into a collection of... us. It was a typical example of the fun world-building of early-career Niven.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm obsessed with anything angel-related, especially depictions that highlight their more terrifying, incomprehensible aspects.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The only way to know what's "up and coming" is to know what's selling now; there's a lag time of a year or more between sale and publication, so if you're chasing a trend based on what's hitting the shelves you're already behind the curve. That's why it's a better idea to write a story, not a trend-catcher. Even if it doesn't sell right away, a story will keep longer for future resubmission than something written specifically to capitalize on a trend.

For favorite creatures, though, I'm going with dragons, with close second to gryphons. There's just so much one can do with dragons and still retain their inherent dragonness.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
Two of my favorites are fairly venerable:

Fred Hoyle's Black Cloud (of ilka novel), an intelligent interstellar molecular cloud.

Hal Clement's Hunter, in Needle. The Hunter is a small intelligent viral blob that spends most of its time as a symbiote living in cellular interstices inside a mammal. Its name reflects its day job, that of a detective. When it ends up stranded on Earth, it is there because it is chasing a psychopathic member of its own species, and must conscript a human host to chase it down. (Disclosure: I had been revising my WIP for some time before I realized that a main character shares many features with the Hunter)

Note that neither of these creatures is remotely humanoid.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Conflicted beings—angels, especially the fallen; vampires; the minor Greek deities. The more conflicted and complicated, the better.

I don't care for any beings who are all sweetness and light.

greatdistractions

Registered
Reaction score
I love fae, especially stories that emphasize the weirder parts of the lore: counting spilled salt, leaving their children in human homes as if they were coocoo birds, being unable to cross running water (which now that I think about it crosses over with vampiric lore). merfolk are great too, especially creepy ones inspired by deep sea fish.

for what I don't like... I don't think there are any creatures I inherently dislike, it all depends on how they're written. I'm kind of sick of zombies, but I still liked The Girl With All The Gifts because it did something new with them, you know?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I like sentient people/aliens/creatures who are very much non-human: different in biology or psychology or weltanschauung, or all of the above, while still being relatable in some way. Especially as protagonists. Probably because this genre is all about exploring a story space that's different (to the real world), and extending that as far as viewpoint is a powerful extension of that.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I'm curious mostly, and not trend chasing. Just like to see how my likes compare to others and to see if there's anything interesting I've missed out on. I believe the reasoning behind our interest can be more beneficial than the actual creatures themselves in creating an engaging being.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I deconstruct every mythological entity I use, so I dunno if there's anything out there that I really love as-is. I see mythology as "everything's made up", so why not play with it? I keep them rooted in their core concept--Odin is a scheming storyteller with one eye, elves are snobbish and care about nature, clurichauns enjoy a drink, selkies are associated with seals, centaurs are half-horse (so does that mean they have two stomachs, and are hungrier than a human? Yes. Yes it does).

Celtic mythology in particular is a sandbox that I love to play in (thanks, Roman Empire, for wiping out their culture!), so I'd say that's my favourite. But there's so little we know about Celtic mythology, so I dunno if it's really fair to say it's really what I'm playing with.

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like mermaids/sirens have seen a rise in popularity recently and I know I love reading about them, as well as other creatures mentioned above. I also really like when authors create new creatures that are similar to well known ones. I have a soft spot for dragons too.

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
I would say, trend is not all in: I might like fairies as one out of five, however rare that might be; because fairies often pull at our outwardly perception. One other way to introducing mythical creatures, however, is by the representation you would ascribe to archetypes, such as a gnome for a trickster - besides that the dragon, too, is hard to approach for all the myths, tales, sagas, etc. that circulate in history. Inc.: If, for example, a siren has a lovely voice and is depicted as a woman in many olden tales, not necessarily as a friendly mermaid - and not necessarily ugly, which seems an important aspect to match the siren's voice -, I might ask myself why she has those characteristics; such knowledge will help a lot in dealing with beings of folklore.
Hope this helps. To answer your question directly, I like the unicorn.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit obsessed with winged creatures. But winged with teeth, so manticore is one I've used a few times. Or I make up creatures that stick with the Greek myths/ Egyptian world of just mashing up different animals to make some terrors in the sky.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'll admit I'm still very fond of dragons, in spite of all the bad press they seem to get these days. And I enjoy seeing them presented in a variety of ways, from highly intelligent or superior beings, to bestial, and from benign to malevolent, and from cooperative with humans to having their own agenda. Sometimes I despair of world building that doesn't consider the effect that large, flying, carnivorous creatures (even if tame or relatively benign) would have on an ecosystem or on human economics and activities, though. I enjoyed Novik's dragon books, but I had a bit of a problem with history being exactly the same (in terms of where cities were located, in terms of which countries existed and where their borders were, and in terms of how the economy worked) even though there were these domesticated flying creatures who ate an awful lot of meat (I don't think it's a coincidence that carnivorous domestic animals are generally on the smaller side compared to, say, horses and cows even). I ignored it, as these assumptions were kind of needed for the premise (Napoleonic wars but with humongous Dragon "airships"), but it reminded me I was reading a book from time to time.

I also like "wise beasts," or fantasy where there are certain animals who can think and communicate as well as humans and who have their own goals and agenda. I prefer it when these animals still have values, personality traits, and abilities that make sense for members of their species, though, and aren't simply humans in fur suits. I kind of like beings that are modeled after animal types too, like the badgerlike "gnols" in T Kingfisher's books, or the Kajiit in the Elder Scrolls worldbuilding.

Last edited:

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
I think some of my favorites are creatures derived from humans, but different enough to make you aware they aren't part of us anymore. Some are frightening, or chilling, and others blend in, until the moment they choose to show their "otherness".

Ursula LeGuin's book, The Left Hand of Darkness, was based on this idea. What if you changed humans to only have one sex? How does that change society, and relationships? Martha Wells has a book with humans deliberately mutated to survive a upcoming ecological catastrophe, called City of Bones, but I don't think she explores the change enough.

Staccata

Registered
Reaction score
I really like mermaids and winged beings. I would love to see more books with winged characters who aren't necessarily angels - somewhere I have a list of examples.

Also, it seems to me like dark scary fae are trending right now, but I still have a soft spot for the idea of tiny flower fairies. I guess that ties into creatures I don't like - I've picked up a few recent YA books about the fae and I feel like they're becoming a little homogenized. I loved Frances Hardinge's Cuckoo Song because its fae and magic system were unabashedly weird.

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
I love dragons, especially the ones from Pern (and the related fire-lizards), the screen adaptations of How to Train Your Dragon, DragonHeart, Age of Fire, and the ones from Carrie Vaughn's Voices of Dragons.

I've also recently developed an interest in Gryphons, though besides Narnia, I haven't really encountered them in anything. I know there are novels that focus on Gryphons, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

As far as space-faring aliens are concerned, my absolute favorites will always be Pilots and Leviathans from FarScape and the Thranx from Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love dragons, especially the ones from Pern (and the related fire-lizards), the screen adaptations of How to Train Your Dragon, DragonHeart, Age of Fire, and the ones from Carrie Vaughn's Voices of Dragons.

Have you read Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? The plot petered out a bit by the end, but an excellent re-imagining of world history to allow for sapient dragons.

The dragons in Mercedes Lackey's Halfblood Chronicles are also great, shapeshifting to meddle with humans and elves.

Though one of my favorite dragons is still Tiamat from Bruce Coville's Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher.

I've also recently developed an interest in Gryphons, though besides Narnia, I haven't really encountered them in anything. I know there are novels that focus on Gryphons, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

If you want a decent gryphon-centered book, try Jess E. Owen's Song of the Summer King. MG/YA, but excellent gryphs and a decent story.

Mercedes Lackey (again) also established a lot of gryphon lore in her series starting with The Black Gryphon, a standalone arc in her larger Mage Wars series.

And Rachel Neumeier has an interesting take on them in her series starting with Lord of the Changing Winds.

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
Have you read Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? The plot petered out a bit by the end, but an excellent re-imagining of world history to allow for sapient dragons.

The dragons in Mercedes Lackey's Halfblood Chronicles are also great, shapeshifting to meddle with humans and elves.

Though one of my favorite dragons is still Tiamat from Bruce Coville's Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher.

I've read the first three books of Novik's Temeraire series. I took a break after the third book but have yet to get back to it. A symptom of an ever-growing reading list.

I might have read one of Lackey's dragon-themed books. I don't recall the title, but it doesn't sound like it was part of the series you mentioned. What I do remember is it parodied the whole damsel-in-distress trope.

If you want a decent gryphon-centered book, try Jess E. Owen's Song of the Summer King. MG/YA, but excellent gryphs and a decent story.

Mercedes Lackey (again) also established a lot of gryphon lore in her series starting with The Black Gryphon, a standalone arc in her larger Mage Wars series.

And Rachel Neumeier has an interesting take on them in her series starting with Lord of the Changing Winds.

Thank you for those recommendations.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
This may be a surprise for some of you, but birds/avians (and paraves in general). Especially if they're imagined in ways that isn't the "standard" way i.e. not the Greek front half X back half Y. I also really like intelligent species that are wildly different from humans, like the Elcor and Hanar from Mass Effect, instead of the "human, but X" kinds. I loooooove speculative biology, both xeno and future Earth. When I was little I loved "The Future is Wild" and "Alien Planet"; as an adult I've been buying Dougal Dixon's and Wayne Barlowe's books whenever I can find them at a good price, since so many are out of print. Barlowe did the creature designs for James Cameron's Avatar and some of the kaiju from Pacific Rim, so you're probably already familiar with his work.

For the less fantastical, I'm super into animals from the Cenozoic (you can blame Animal Planet/Discovery Channel specials for this, too). I mean, look at giant ground sloths, terror birds, andrewsarchus, cave [thing] and sabertooth [thing]. They had sabertooth salmon, how can you not love that?

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Big fan of dragons, always have been. I love faerie creatures, especially ones that adhere more closely to the old tales about them.

I also love ineffable lovecraftian horrors, though they are so often ruined in a story when the author makes them speak. It can't be unknowable and speak!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I also love ineffable lovecraftian horrors, though they are so often ruined in a story when the author makes them speak. It can't be unknowable and speak!

If they do speak, it should be in words and ways that aren't readily understood - or which are misunderstood - by puny humans...

I remember in Babylon 5, when the unimaginably ancient Vorlons spoke, the writers would write out what they were saying, then pare it down to the absolute minimum, which was usually just one or two words or an enigmatic "Yes." They were communicating in as simple a way as they could to the tiny-brained humans/other sapients, but the meaning and nuances often flew right past them.