Critiques from other races

Wevermonic

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if I was tripping, or not, but I feel that the critiques I received are a bit harsher because of the different culture of the story. For example, the story I am writing mentioned slavery, and that is because the setting is in the 1880s USA, but it isn't the main topic of the story. It seems to me like they feel I should be writing a story that is about slavery and the brutal past of African Americans. Uh...no. I am writing a thriller with some black women doing the killing, that's what I am doing.

Is there some kind of box people have for POC writers and their stories? Because if so, then I am worried.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a thriller with some black women doing the killing, that's what I am doing.

Is there some kind of box people have for POC writers and their stories? Because if so, then I am worried.
Are you of the culture that you're writing about? Because that might point you towards the problem. (You don't have to be of the culture, but you will need to treat culture with the respect that comes from knowledge. Obviously)

If that's not part the problem, then you might want to look at whether all the crit mentions the same issue. Crits are opinions. They're not cast in stone.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if I was tripping, or not, but I feel that the critiques I received are a bit harsher because of the different culture of the story. For example, the story I am writing mentioned slavery, and that is because the setting is in the 1880s USA, but it isn't the main topic of the story. It seems to me like they feel I should be writing a story that is about slavery and the brutal past of African Americans. Uh...no. I am writing a thriller with some black women doing the killing, that's what I am doing.

Hi, Wevermonic. Welcome to AW.

If you are asking if, as a POC writer, you are obligated to raise social consciousness with your writing, the answer is no, you are not. No more than a white writer is. You should be asking yourself the same questions, though: Why does this story need telling? What am I saying in this story? Am I the right person to tell the story? Once you've satisfied yourself on those points, tell your story.

If you aren't familiar with Black authors writing mystery and crime, I would recommend you read their works. Some of my favorites are: Frankie Y. Bailey, Tracy Clark, Hugh Holton, and Walter Mosley. There are many others, but I particularly like those authors' stories.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Whether you're a POC writer or not, if you are writing about a historical period, you do need to do due diligence regarding your depiction.

Gone with the Wind is not historically accurate in a number of respects, for instance.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score

Perhaps it feels like you should be writing about slavery and the brutal past of African Americans because slavery will impact your characters' thoughts and actions and motivations.