Program that reads a Word document aloud?

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using Word 2010 on a Windows 7 machine.

I'd like to have a program that reads my manuscript to me to help with self editing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I usually just find an online website that will do it for me. I used this one last time: https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/. There's two voices (female and male), and although they sound a bit robotic, they get the job done. You can even increase or decrease the speed. I usually put in a good amount (like half a chapter). I'm not sure what the limit is, but I don't think it will take a whole manuscript. I usually keep one side of the screen with that website, and the other with my word document, and can correct as I go. You can get other voices besides the main two, but its only a trial, and you have to pay to use them after that. But I don't mind the originals.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Microsoft Mike

Older versions of Word had a voice called "Microsoft Mike." He sounded like the robot he was. In those days, most of what I wrote was recipes and his crisp, technical voice made me listen carefully as he voiced my work. Try a few different voices and see what you like.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of MS Mike, I’ll check that out.

What was his relationship with MS Bob do you think? Friends or lovers? 😀