• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for 70,000 Word Murder-Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Greetings, all. I am looking for beta readers for my 70,000 word murder-mystery, currently with the title Death & Love. I have been working on this book since November, 2011. Two separate writing coaches, published mystery writers themselves, have assisted me for payment in improving it. I’m a 57 year old man who has two Ivy League degrees. However, unlike others posting here recently, I do not have a MFA in writing and my contact with literary agencies is being rejected by them.

Prior beta readers have told me the beginning of my novel is weak and my protagonist comes off as unappealing. That just will not do for someone unknown hoping to be published. As a result, I’ve made changes, but need to know if things work now. Also, I need to be on the lookout for minefields later in the book that can prejudice an agent or publisher willing to read the whole thing. I need people to give me the unvarnished truth about what they think.

I’m quite glad to swap with you. I'm open to reading a wide variety of genres, except I have zero interest in fantasy or poetry. Let me know if you’re interested. Thanks.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, SA.
I see you're well on your way to 50 quality posts. Consider introducing yourself in "New Writers."
I also note you'll welcome comment on your opening, so when you reach 50, you might visit "AW Lab" and its "Brainstorming Sandbox." In the "Post the first three sentences of your novel for feedback" game, you'll get many valuable opinions.
:sarcasmWarning: If you go longer than three, players will leave no stone in your castle unscorched :mob:mob

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I recall your efforts in QLH and your other critiques on various excerpts. Nice to see you, SAWeiner.

A weak open can mean that you are starting in the wrong place or have too much exposition. Some other possibilities, of course.

The best advice I ever followed was looking through recent titles (last 6 months) in my genre. Have you done that? Copy ten opens from mystery bestsellers and analyze the heck out of them. You'll see patterns. Modify your open accordingly.

It works magic to get people intrigued.

This is only one of many hurdles we all face.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. Sorry, SA. I missed your post tally. :e2paperba

Couldn't possibly be aging eyes. :cry:No.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
I recall your efforts in QLH and your other critiques on various excerpts. Nice to see you, SAWeiner.

A weak open can mean that you are starting in the wrong place or have too much exposition. Some other possibilities, of course....

It works magic to get people intrigued.

This is only one of many hurdles we all face.

Patty-

Hi. I have a couple of people expressing interest so far. My new Beta readers will let me know if my new opening cuts it or not and can give me other tips. I'll proceed from there.

To All-

I remain open to new Beta readers until I say otherwise. Multiple opinions are good for knowing what isn't working. Thanks.

NOTE: I AM NOT SEEKING BETA READERS CURRENTLY!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.