The project I started last year is about a pandemic...

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
What say you? Should I trunk it? I'm about 60,000 words in and I've put so many hours into it...

At least I got some of the details right... (not enough testing, long timeline for vaccine development, etc...).

I'm trying to decide if I should just shift gears to something else.

Oh well.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Your story line came true!!

The pandemic is all your fault!

Just kidding of course. I say keep writing your novel - maybe change a detail here or there to make it alt-history by the time you publish.

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like a lot of agents are saying they want light, fluffy stuff - like no one wants to read about something they're living right now. I do understand that impulse. But maybe after this is over they'll want it again?

I just don't want to invest a lot of time and energy into something truly repulsive to people in the business.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say keep at it. This will be over by the time you finish the novel, go through any editing and revisions, getting an agent, etc.

I don't think there will ever NOT be a market for this type of fiction. How can you use your real-life experiences and observations to give the book more pow? The best books, in my opinion, are those that can say something new about something I thought I already knew about, especially if I can say "I didn't see that at the time, but looking back YEAH! That's exactly how it was" or "I noticed that too but didn't know what to make of it." What can you say about this experience now that you've lived it? How can you give it that pow that will make me as the reader remember it?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I agree with Chris. Remember that what agents are responding to now won't see a bookstore for at least 18 months, and that's if it sells right away. You have some time.

It's not a matter of it being "repulsive" to an agent, although of course agents are subjective about what they like. If they think it's a good book (and they like it themselves :)) it's going to be a matter of whether or not they think they can find it a publisher. Pandemic-wise, I think that's a big question mark for everyone right now.

But it's all WAY too far off for you to be worrying about. Write, do it well, don't worry about the rest of the world.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Write the book that came to you to get written, and forget everything else till you get to the words 'THE END'.

:)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree that by the time your novel is ready, agents and publishers may be ready for pandemic novels.

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I appreciate the encouragement. I just spent over a year revising a different novel a hundred times for querying etc (pretty sure it was actually close to that number!), so I think I'm in that weary stage of "why bother if it's not marketable." I only have so many books in me, I guess. The longer I've been at this writing thing, the more discerning I try to be at the start.

The story takes place in an amusement park and is more about the vaccine than the virus, so maybe it will feel somewhat fresh. I actually pitched it to an agent six months ago, and she really liked it, but it wasn't done at that point so she told me to send it when it was ready. I figured if I emailed her again she would say she's no longer interested for obvious reasons, but maybe not.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I say keep at it.

One thing to consider is that the potential audience for your book is going to be more educated than before.

Example: In January, I started watching a comedy about a pandemic called "Medical Police." Before the pandemic really hit, nothing seemed off about it. But watching an episode recently, I noticed the flaws: no social distancing, no face masks in crowd shots, etc.

Another example from a pandemic movie several years ago, the name I forget: there was a scene where a late night comedy host walked onto his studio and there was no live audience, just empty seats. I remember thinking that the original implication was intended to be OMG everyone's sick and/or dead! But now, I'd just chalk it up to social distancing.

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Brightdreamer on this one. The process from starting a book to getting the book on the shelves takes so long that the people who are just looking around now and saying, "Hey, I should write a pandemic novel" have a pretty small chance of getting it out while it's still "relevant." You've just so happened to luck into writing a book that will probably be a trend for the next year or so. I'd say, full speed ahead before all those other books get written.

Also, yes, I'm sure there are a lot of people looking for light and fluffy escapist reading material right now, but then there are people like me who saw what was unfolding and interrupted the list of books I'd been planning to read in the next month or so to break out The Stand. For everyone who leans away, there are also people leaning in, and I'm sure there are agents that recognize that.