How Well Do You Know Your Main Character, SFF Edition Returns

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
If your MC was stranded on a deserted island and he/she could only bring three items, what would they be?

A tattooing needle, a pot of ink, and a walking staff. (Hopefully "too much confidence" does not count as an item. If it does, nix the walking staff. :D )

What does your MC most often dream about?

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
What does your MC most often dream about?

Being an inventor, he dreams of potential future inventions. Dreams being what they are, however, not all of them are feasible in the real world. For every useful invention such as a sonic amplifier, there's one that simply won't work, like a device that allows him to talk to squirrels (both because the technological hurdles are insurmountable, and because they likely wouldn't have anything interesting to say).

What is your MC's social status (rich, poor, well-liked or not, etc.)?

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
What is your MC's social status (rich, poor, well-liked or not, etc.)?

The society I'm primarily writing at the moment is pretty balanced in terms of access to resources, but for the rest:

Morgan: deserted the battlefield in a culture where that is considered one of the most shameful things one can do, and he was already considered a bit odd before that. He's currently under house arrest (his society doesn't have a prison system).

Tobias: has a good reputation as he has a talent for consistently fulfilling what's expected of him. His standing is however being dented by his continued closeness with Morgan.

How much does your MC care about what others think of them?

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
How much does your MC care about what others think of them?

It's a tough balance of wanting to be known and wanting to dissolve into the background. She's in a situation she doesn't want to be in so for most people she would rather they don't think of her at all, or that she does what she's supposed to do and not stir up trouble. For the few people she does care about, she wants them to be able to trust her and think well of her and her abilities. When the one person she considers her closest friend didn't answer right away to "do you trust me?" she was very hurt. But she also knows how hypocritical she's being with her own secrets she guards so closely; she's terrified they'll find out and leave her.

What's the best gift your MC has ever received and who was it from?

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
What's the best gift your MC has ever received and who was it from?

A staff from a mentor figure, used for self-defense but more symbolic in nature as a symbol of priesthood.

What's the greatest gift your MC has given, and why did they give it?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the greatest gift your MC has given, and why did they give it?

The greatest gift Marcan's ever given is the gift of silence. Even though his brother has risen to the position of High King because of his silence, he remains silent to this day because, frankly, he doesn't want to be High King himself. If people learned that he was the hero of that long-ago encounter, he'd be stuck with a life he never wanted AND deny his beloved brother his life's ambition.

What word or phrase just ticks your MC off and why?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score

Janet, my Snow White character, has a stepmother as per the original, but in my version her father insists that she call her stepmother "Mother." Unacceptable consequences for disobedience ensure that she complies, and her father is so powerful that her dead mother is never mentioned, except by Janet. So that whole thing really got under her skin.

What is your character's favorite dessert?

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score

Janet, my Snow White character, has a stepmother as per the original, but in my version her father insists that she call her stepmother "Mother." Unacceptable consequences for disobedience ensure that she complies, and her father is so powerful that her dead mother is never mentioned, except by Janet. So that whole thing really got under her skin.

What is your character's favorite dessert?

Chepi doesn't have that much of a sweet-tooth, but when the hankering takes her, anything dark chocolate with hit the mark. She's a fan of devil's food cake, but a 80-90% dark chocolate bar is her jam.

Emet is a robot, but he's very fond of baking and loves to make pie, usually blueberry.

You're MC is given ONE MILLION DOLLARS (or equivalent) and is told they must spend every last nickle in a week or their head will explode. What do they buy?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sammy pays cash for a great little apartment on West St with a Hudson-facing balcony and pays the maintenance & tax for a year. And if there's anything left she'll buy some furniture, so she doesn't have to sit on boxes to enjoy the view.

Lucien puts it all into his foundation to help fund some of their ongoing development projects -- even in remote & low-cost places, a million dollars disappears quickly when you have to cover salaries, facilities, equipment, supplies, scholarships, transport, etc. But if you don't spend your money to help people, what's the point of having it in the first place?

What's the most recent decision (big or small) your MC made that they really regret?

Astropolis

Registered
Reaction score
Knowing my MC she's smuggle her teleport gear onto the island and be gone inside 2 minutes. However without that I think sturdy clothes, a tent and her energy weapon, which she has used in the past as a rather violent heat source for cooking.

What is your MC's favourite type of music?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hail likes several genres of music you probably haven't heard of. Most of them are based in scales derived from maths that humans physiologically can't even process, let alone perceive as music, due to a neuronal development mutation that happened in our tree shrew ancestors several tens of millions of years ago. So, like, you wouldn't enjoy it, man. Mind you, almost noone else does either, and naming that kind of crap your favourite genre is like saying you only listen to musique concrète, or something.

Sartorial splendor. Your MC's getting dressed to the nines, or their conception of what is Fashion, anyway. What are they wearing?

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
As a former "decorated" general, Thaleen loves dressing to the nines. Most Ocholturi (a race of humanoid big cats like Jaguars) traditionally barely wear clothing at all, and most don’t care about clothing outside of utilitarian function. However, formal occasions give Thaleen an excuse to show off that he knows fashion without having to come across as overtly showing off.

Upper Body: Emerald-green short-sleeved military frock jacket (featuring thick shoulder pads and white epaulettes) over a tight fitting white broadcloth suit double cuffed at the sleeves, custom made buttons shaped like small emeralds

Lower Body: White breeches that do not go past the shins

Shoes: No socks, white hunter heels (athletic high heels that adjust to the balance of Ocholturi, custom made by Tatters)

Don't know if the person below me has a universe with "advanced media" like tv, radio, film, etc., but hypothetically, if they were watching a movie, what element would cause them to turn it off immediately, even if they have an otherwise strong stomach? For example, I know a lot of parents can't watch scenes of kids in peril even if they can handle gore because they picture it as their kids. What would cause them to get up and say "sorry I can't watch this" that is central to their fears, traumas or insecurities?

Last edited:

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Liora, the MC for my new WIP, would have to turn off a movie if it had an emotional scene with a military commander losing a soldier, especially a young soldier.

She has lost too many soldiers herself to the vampires, nachtrapp ravens, and cockatrice that live in the hills above her town.

What culturally expected thing did your MC miss out on as a child? Are they upset about it or do they feel like it was for the best?

TurbulentMuse

Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Riley never went to a single party as a teen or in college. They didn't really have very many friends since they knew magic exists and had to keep it secret. They figure it was probably for the best as they're pretty socially passive and awkward. After age 7 they didn't even have birthday parties where anyone other than family attended.

What would your character dress up as for a Halloween party as an adult and why?