How Well Do You Know Your Main Character, SFF Edition Returns

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thought it might be fun to start another of these, credit to Albedo for the old thread, and to Blind Writer for the one in the YA room.

To recap, I'll pose a question about your character, you'll answer it, and ask another question.

Me: What is your character's name?

You: Mittens the Destroyer doesn't have a name. He's from another dimension.

You: Why does your character love the feel of soft fur?

Anyways, I enjoy games like these. They're always good for idea-mining, and tend to bring around members of the community you don't see as much of otherwise. Let's start:

What is your character's favorite work of fiction?

Last edited:

greatdistractions

Registered
Reaction score
Nina Coppersmith likes historical fiction. she mainly reads stories set in the dwarven mountains where she lives, but occasionally she reads less socially acceptable stories like those starring elves, humans, or halflings. they aren't banned, per se, but more conservative dwarves would certainly judge her for reading them. best she read them at home with the curtains drawn, just in case.

what's your character's favourite day of the week?

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Ember was enjoying Wednesday the most, because it was relatively peaceful and her new guardian was teaching her about her heritage. However, he had to take a trip somewhere she apparently didn't need to know about, and he left his assistant in charge of her education. Unfortunately, he's a stuck up jerk face who thinks he's better than everyone. So now Wednesday sucks, too. But any day someone doesn't try to kill her is more positive than negative, no?

What's your character's most embarrassing memory?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What's your character's most embarrassing memory?

There are occasional moments of shame stemming from Moonbird's obsessive fear of not living up to the Nornish warrior ethos, but her most embarrassing memory is of being shot out of an airlock naked. Which really shouldn't bother her considered the Norns are big on sauna culture and don't really care, but exposing yourself to hard vacuum without clothes on is a rookie mistake.

What is one IRL musician your MC would like and why?

J.B. Rooster

Captain: Ankh-Morpork City Watch
Registered
Reaction score

What is one IRL musician your MC would like and why?

Violet Kaloure would definitely be a big fan of Katy Perry. Checks off all the boxes. 1) Music that's easy to dance to, check 2) Songs that idolize the freedom and exploration of the teenage years, check, 3) Risque topics that would make her father, King Crimson slightly uncomfortable, check, 4) Music that's not really all that rebellious, but gives the illusion of rebelling, check 4) A pop persona she can identify with that's what Violet would describe as "Quirky", and "Loveable", but is actually kind of annoying, self-centered and manipulative. Check.

What are your MC's phobias (1 minor and 1 major) and is there a reason why?

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Emira is claustrophobic and has minor arachnophobia. She doesn't like the idea of being trapped in small spaces or being buried under anything, which causes problems in my WIP. She doesn't really like spiders because come on, they're spiders.

What is your MC's favorite superhero? From our world or their own?

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
Superheroes aren't really a thing in Zendaria (there are folklore heroes, but it's not quite the same). From our world, though, I think Annette would enjoy X-Men because she's a bit of a mutant herself, having the power to generate electricity with her own body.

It's a hot summer day, what's your MC drinking?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Joshua-Gabe would probably drink a nice cold soda, though he knows they aren't the healthiest beverage, he still enjoys them.

How messy is your MC's bedroom?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Sleeps in a transparent plexi-glass bubble, and its still a pig-sty.

What would your MC title their autobiography?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Two of my MCs would name their autobiography the same thing for different reasons. Burning hot, burning fast. The other would name his Rock and a hard place.

Who is your MC's favorite family member who is never on the page and why?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hail is fond of his two children, Tornado and Cyclone, I suppose because they're his kids. They're off-stage because taking two tiny kids on a gruelling touring schedule would be cartoonishly irresponsible, and he's a good parent. Although Mum's in the band too, so where are they? Oh God, they are on the tour somewhere. Probably being raised by the drummers.

Your character puts their hand in their pocket, or their bag if they haven't got a pocket, and immediately feels something squishy. What sort of horror is it?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Your character puts their hand in their pocket, or their bag if they haven't got a pocket, and immediately feels something squishy. What sort of horror is it?

Due to the printer lacking obscure key elements, the casing on the Stigmata Pin just corroded into a formless mess (it's more gritty than squishy, but whatever). Now her bios is permanently corrupted, but the fun part is that any potential witnesses are going to driven insane with religious awe by the process. Who would invent something like this!?

​Who's Your MCs Frenemy?

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My MC hero Alphonse develops frenemship with my villain, because their goals overlap. It's an amazing thing, the overlap between environmental justice and the oil industry. Examples abound on our world of the two sides claiming kinship--usually fossil fuel companies claiming a green mantle rather than the other way around--but my environmental hero sees real potential in the idea of working with Turaset's version of Rex Tillerson.

So that's his frenemy and vice versa. Hmm. Will need to think harder about how these two exploit their relationship.

Who dumped your MC and left a permanent scar upon their heart?

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
Annette has only had one exclusive relationship in her adult life, a party boy called Denesh Patel whom she dated for 6 months a couple of years before the story begins. They agreed to date knowing that it would be a time-bound affair (his family had arranged for him away to work in his uncle's shipping business to straighten him out) but Annette was still surprised by how much it affected her when he left. She has lived her whole life on the same space station and it was another example of people moving on while she remained stuck where she was, a fear with which she is still grappling several years later.

What would I find on your character's bedside table?

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
After eleven hard years surviving as a scavenger, Lena keeps weapons nearby at all times, even now that she is in a more civilized environment. Her favorite sheath knife sits on the bedside table, its 22 cm blade razor sharp.

What is the one secret your MC will never reveal?

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
That when she escaped from prison war camp, she left behind a younger sister.

What's the one piece of technology (or magic) that's normal in your world but your character is a bit clueless about?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All of it, honestly. He learned just enough in school to pass class, but promptly forgot it when the tests were over. He's that rarest of rare things: a true Null. His very existence can negate magic, so he did feel the need to learn about it as a kid--like all the other kids who have magic do. However, as a detective, he's had to make up for lost time and come to some understanding, but he still can't do it.

What is your character's favorite piece of clothing/outfit?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
All of it, honestly. He learned just enough in school to pass class, but promptly forgot it when the tests were over. He's that rarest of rare things: a true Null. His very existence can negate magic, so he did feel the need to learn about it as a kid--like all the other kids who have magic do. However, as a detective, he's had to make up for lost time and come to some understanding, but he still can't do it.

What is your character's favorite piece of clothing/outfit?

Feathered half-cape. Do not go into battle without one.

Continuing my IRL music questions, what would be your MCs theme song?

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Her theme song would probably be Ichigo's theme from Bleach "Number One". My MC is a ridiculously powerful magic user at a very young age. It has made her really arrogant! That and her lack of social skills drive half of her problems. The other half are institutional racism so hey, a little arrogance is healthy sometimes. :)

What is your main character's relationship with his/her mother or father?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is your main character's relationship with his/her mother or father?

They're very close. He's an only child, born when they were older (totally a surprise--they didn't think she could conceive). Since they were older, they had more time for him while he was growing up. Now that he's in his 30's and a police officer and on a very weird schedule, they have a system of emailing so they're not missing each other constantly, they are keeping in touch, and Mom doesn't freak out every time something happens in the city. His father's a minor celebrity and his mother owns a staple business in the city, so he has to deal with "Are you related to...?" all the time. Good thing he loves and is proud of his folks.

Who is your main character's childhood hero/ine?

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Who is your main character's childhood hero/ine?

The character has no hero, but the closest person would be the priest who trained and raised the character from early childhood. The two are close but sometimes quarrelsome.

What is your character's relationship to violence?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What is your character's relationship to violence?
Hail considers himself a pacifist, even if one of his shows was later banned under several conventions relating to antimatter weaponry. He used to be a literal weapons designer, then got burnt out, had a quarter-life crisis, fell into a rock band, and now uses his mastery of high-energy laser physics to produce rather over-the-top concert visualisations.

What's one sound or smell your character just cannot stand, and why?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What's one sound or smell your character just cannot stand, and why?

That smell when everyone's stuck on a starship together too long and everything becomes a melange of different BO funks.

It's not an irrational hatred, just a somewhat reasonable rule I think she's a bit too stuffy about. If you are ever going to serve on Moonbird's starship you will be asked to keep good hygiene and wear a bodysuit for all but the most intimate of extracurriculars. It's not a 'bodies are gross' thing, just that interstellar crossings can take decades and no matter how fresh you think you smell, after a long enough time in an enclosed space your body odor starts to cling to the walls.

What's your MC's favorite weapon? Things like 'Pacifism', 'Diplomacy', or 'The Power of Heart' can count as a weapons depending on your mileage.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
So there are three main viewpoint characters in this sequel. Alphonse returns from Aerovoyant as one of them. I suppose his favorite weapon is leverage, specifically when crafting law. He says to a hunting buddy: "I've wrangled plenty of laws, but I've never wrangled, you know, a moarab." He also says of more traditional weapons and physical fights: "I'm more used to using my fists."

Odile's weapon is her tortured past, and a blade. She was trained as an assassin along the lines of Joseph Goebbels, and the muscle memory and ability to see a person as a collection of tissues and organs is still in her. She doesn't want this part of her past to exist at all, she calls the dissection rooms the torture rooms, she sees it all for what it was and so her past is a wound for her, but when she needs to fight she uses that training to distance herself emotionally from whomever she is fighting. The training gives her insulation against feeling the hurt she is causing.

And Gareg's favorite weapon is power, as he has amassed quite a lot of it. It comes in the form of money and position but more importantly an understanding of human nature (and how to direct people with that extensive knowledge) as he has built an understanding in his almost-three-thousand-years of life.

If your main character found themselves at a theme park, what would they want to do first? Rollercoasters, food stands, theatrical shows/parades, shop, leave, other?

Last edited:

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
This seems fun!

If your main character found themselves at a theme park, what would they want to do first? Rollercoasters, food stands, theatrical shows/parades, shop, leave, other?

Probably the theatrical show. She isn't the adventurous type - she has enough adventure in her life without seeking it out. And she has constant stomach problems (for reasons I cannot disclose ;) ) so food is out. And she's not really into "things" so I think she would go for some sort of entertainment when she could sit an relax.

I know she sounds lame, but really, she's not.

If your MC was stranded on a deserted island and he/she could only bring three items, what would they be?