• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

My one and only instance of Writer's Block and how I kept it from returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
writerblalley.wixsite.com
While writer's block is real, it is self imposed. I studied English, Literature, and Creative Writing in grade and high school and in college. I wrote many short stories and exercises during that time. I always applied what I had learned to every day writing, but had not written much creatively since school. Decades later I was struck with an idea for a novel that, for whatever reason, landed like a ton of bricks and wouldn't budge.
When I got home I immediately began assembling my ideas and writing the story, but after a few chapters I hit a wall in spite of knowing where I wanted the story to go. Adding to my inability to continue was the fact I was still working full time while experiencing increasing fatigue, to the point I was too tired to do anything when I got home. The book languished for years virtually untouched until my condition quickly worsened and I was forced to retire. With so much free time and a desperate need for a distraction from growing frustration and depression, I dusted off that novel and took another crack at it. Unfortunately I face the same issue: not being able to get past that spot that held me up for so many years.
It wasn't until I realized I was overwhelmed by the idea of writing a novel that I was able to overcome the obstacle. I dismissed the novel idea and decided to just write, and that whatever length the story ended up it would be the right length. Flash, short, novella, so be it. That simple shift opened the creative floodgates, allowing me to not only adjust and refine my story but write unencumbered by self-imposed minimums and daunting literary packages.
The words came, and continued. Ironically, by removing the word goal I ended up writing a 133,000-word first draft. My editor was just as shocked having expected a thin stack and instead receiving an entire ream of paper. Yes it was overblown and the published version is 40,000 words lighter (another lesson in efficiency and killing our darlings), but it completely altered my perspective of writing.
While the book was in the hands of my editor I decided to write another novel, both to prove the first wasn't a fluke and because I had an idea. Again I never considered word count and that novel topped out in the mid-40k range. It's light(ish) and fun.
I never experienced that kind of creative wall again. Sure I've had many moments where I found myself distracted and doing anything except writing, but I don't consider those moments to be writer's block. I realized very quickly it was my subconscious telling me I was on the wrong track, and by stepping away even for an extended period the solution always presented itself and the writing continued, and was better. That is why I do not subscribe to "Write every day" or "Write X words a day" and believe those concepts are the enemy of creativity. Had I pushed myself to meet such artificial goals my writing would be incoherent drivel, or non-existent in the case of my first book. Since I resumed writing, every word has been born of inspiration rather than obligation. Even when writing for contests or exercises I only participated when the provided prompt was of interest to me and I knew I could do something with it.
I can absolutely see why "Write what you know" results in writer's block, particularly with younger writers. How are you supposed to write what you know when you know so little at that stage of your life, or you've aged with limited academic, vocational, and personal experiences? I challenge writers to instead "write what interests and challenges you". I can all but guarantee if you do so you will experience far less obstacles to creativity, and you will expand your personal horizons in the process. I've learned so much by reaching beyond my comfort zone and am a better writer and person for doing so.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
While writer's block is real, it is self imposed. I studied English, Literature, and Creative Writing in grade and high school and in college. I wrote many short stories and exercises during that time. I always applied what I had learned to every day writing, but had not written much creatively since school. Decades later I was struck with an idea for a novel that, for whatever reason, landed like a ton of bricks and wouldn't budge.
When I got home I immediately began assembling my ideas and writing the story, but after a few chapters I hit a wall in spite of knowing where I wanted the story to go. Adding to my inability to continue was the fact I was still working full time while experiencing increasing fatigue, to the point I was too tired to do anything when I got home. The book languished for years virtually untouched until my condition quickly worsened and I was forced to retire. With so much free time and a desperate need for a distraction from growing frustration and depression, I dusted off that novel and took another crack at it. Unfortunately I face the same issue: not being able to get past that spot that held me up for so many years.
It wasn't until I realized I was overwhelmed by the idea of writing a novel that I was able to overcome the obstacle. I dismissed the novel idea and decided to just write, and that whatever length the story ended up it would be the right length. Flash, short, novella, so be it. That simple shift opened the creative floodgates, allowing me to not only adjust and refine my story but write unencumbered by self-imposed minimums and daunting literary packages.
The words came, and continued. Ironically, by removing the word goal I ended up writing a 133,000-word first draft. My editor was just as shocked having expected a thin stack and instead receiving an entire ream of paper. Yes it was overblown and the published version is 40,000 words lighter (another lesson in efficiency and killing our darlings), but it completely altered my perspective of writing.
While the book was in the hands of my editor I decided to write another novel, both to prove the first wasn't a fluke and because I had an idea. Again I never considered word count and that novel topped out in the mid-40k range. It's light(ish) and fun.
I never experienced that kind of creative wall again. Sure I've had many moments where I found myself distracted and doing anything except writing, but I don't consider those moments to be writer's block. I realized very quickly it was my subconscious telling me I was on the wrong track, and by stepping away even for an extended period the solution always presented itself and the writing continued, and was better. That is why I do not subscribe to "Write every day" or "Write X words a day" and believe those concepts are the enemy of creativity. Had I pushed myself to meet such artificial goals my writing would be incoherent drivel, or non-existent in the case of my first book. Since I resumed writing, every word has been born of inspiration rather than obligation. Even when writing for contests or exercises I only participated when the provided prompt was of interest to me and I knew I could do something with it.
I can absolutely see why "Write what you know" results in writer's block, particularly with younger writers. How are you supposed to write what you know when you know so little at that stage of your life, or you've aged with limited academic, vocational, and personal experiences? I challenge writers to instead "write what interests and challenges you". I can all but guarantee if you do so you will experience far less obstacles to creativity, and you will expand your personal horizons in the process. I've learned so much by reaching beyond my comfort zone and am a better writer and person for doing so.
Now that I've plowed through that wall of text—paragraphing is kind to your audience—here are some things you need to consider, BLAlley:

Nothing about writing is absolute for everyone; our experiences with the creative process are as varied as we are—and each story brings its unique challenges, as well—so please refrain from such blanket statements as "While writer's block is real, it is self imposed." While you may have found in your own experience that writer's block is self-imposed and some others may have found that to be true, it isn't true for everyone nor is it true for every story. Please read the sticky: Famous writers on The Block.

"Write what you know" is about as useless a piece of advice as can be found. It has been attributed to a number of writers from Twain to Hemingway and who knows who in between. At the very least, the original meaning has been lost. Does it mean write only what you know; or write what you can find out; or write who you are (yeah, I've seen that one, too); or write to common, identifiable experiences? Nobody knows for sure. It's a short four-word sentence with no inherent substance.

And, finally: Also read the room description and this sticky: Guidelines for Participation in Outwitting Writer's Block. I'm pretty hardcore about the continued participation angle. But please do give tips and techniques that helped you cope with writer's block. We're here to help each other, after all. We're not here to redefine writer's block for everyone else.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can absolutely see why "Write what you know" results in writer's block, particularly with younger writers. How are you supposed to write what you know when you know so little at that stage of your life, or you've aged with limited academic, vocational, and personal experiences?

:Ssh:

ETA:
"Write what you know" is about as useless a piece of advice as can be found.
<<snip>>
It's a short four-word sentence with no inherent substance.

+1. I so hate seeing it turn up. Although I'm sure it's not always intended as such, to me it always reads as something likely to silence the young, the not-"sufficiently"-educated, the not-mainstream, the not-middle-class - in short, the Other.

(Oh, and women, of course...)

Last edited:

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
writerblalley.wixsite.com
Well, it wasn't that mashed together when I wrote it. There is no way writer's block can be external. Such an interruption is merely distraction or delay, not a creative blockage. Also, did I not explain how I got past my one true instance of writer's block and also explain why I didn't allow other moments of uncertainty to become blocks? Maybe I'm talking out of my ass and don't realize it but this has been my experience and I thought it was fairly clear.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I am not going to argue with you over the definition of self-imposed. Now, if you're unhappy with my statements as a mod in this room, you can make your case to me via PM or you can take it to MacAllister, the owner of the forum.

You are, however, done with arguing with me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.