Fun Ways to Estimate Six Feet

Abbeysroadlesstaken

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when my mother finally allowed me to push the shopping cart and I kept running into her when she would stop to pick something up. She told me I had to be three floor squares behind her at all times. Probably seven feet in total, as long as I have a shopping cart I won't run into the person in front of me. If I don't I might not pay attention and run into them. Luckily I'm still wearing a mask so I might be able to get away with it.

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious and gave me a much needed pick-me-up from the isolation. I've heard "If you'd be comfortable tossing me something glass, we're too close."

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
Here in Maryland, where we are all about our blue crabs, I saw a 6 feet is 3 bushels or 15 large crabs point to point. Clearly a regional reference, but fun!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I like that one!

I've thought about making a chalk hopscotch board with six-foot squares, but that sounds like more work than I'm willing to do...

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use piano keyboards? An octave (8 white keys) is approximately 7 inches. So figure most of the keyboard (88 ish in total) is approximately six feet, ergo, the length of a piano would give you more than a good six feet.

Guess this means we all need to tow a piano around?

Ever since I read this post, which was back when it was first posted, I have been visualising piano lengths between myself and other people. It is very useful, seeing as I can play the piano (albeit very out of practice these days) so it's not hard for me to visualise a piano.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can we lay an adult sturgeon on the keys?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this going to end up as Keyboard-Roasted Sturgeon? Because I'm thinking maybe we need some rosemary or something on the parchment under the fish.

Yesterday we had a group of kids come to the door with a cat they thought was ours. (It wasn't.) Before they rang the bell, they counted out the feet from it, then one ducked in and rang, then stepped back. They were practically lined up right about six feet away.

Maryn, who saw a well-fed healthy cat whose owners clearly let it go outside

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Mm, yes. I don't cook fish so you season it. I'll look for a lovely rice recipe. Bring your own plate, please. We will not be sharing with the cat, who clearly gets fed at home.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday we had a group of kids come to the door with a cat they thought was ours. (It wasn't.) Before they rang the bell, they counted out the feet from it, then one ducked in and rang, then stepped back. They were practically lined up right about six feet away.
If kids can learn this, why are adults so bad at it? Maybe it means there is hope for the future. I hope you complimented them on a job well done?

And, I found this and wanted to post it here:
BB12t9Dn.img

Vancouver Parks Board - informing, encouraging, and reminding people to keep small dogs on a leash, all on one sign.

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
As someone already said, the advice in the UK is 2 metres which is more like 6 and a half feet. I thought of tall actors I know and Chris Hemsworth clocks in at 190cm, so if I can't imagine one horizontal Thor between me and the other person with neither of us kicking him, they're too close.
At the very least, it makes queuing to get in the supermarket more amusing! One John Krasinksi, Terry Crews or Dave Bautista also work.

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh ... I like that cane idea. Now that is something I can easily visualize via a ski pole.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my banks has spacing stickers on the floor with the number of various coins needed to make up 6 feet -- X many pennies, Y many dimes, etc.

My other bank just has circles with shoe-print shapes in them. I told them they ought to have waltz steps marked out -- and then I danced from one circle to the next. The tellers were amused.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I finally took pictures of the bank's markers, so I could get the denominations right. Six feet is 28 bills, 75 quarters, 96 pennies, or 102 dimes.

At the noodle restaurant: 6 ft = 7 Spaghetti Noodles.

At the pet store: That's 2 Great Danes, 4 Cats, or 16 Hamsters.

At Quality Dairy, which is a local convenience-store chain: Mooove back six feet. Be LegenDairy - Respect Social Distancing. We Cowculated 6 Feet. And yes, you knew it was coming: Just an udder day of standing six feet apart.

Also, not a six-feet thing, but given all the shortages in the stores it amused me. The local bookstore has a display for book clubs, and if they don't have a book in stock there'll be a note that it's on order. One of the clubs was reading a book called Almost Everything. So of course the note said, quite cogently, "Almost Everything is on order".

sphynge

Registered
Reaction score
A cartwheel away from someone?
Maybe a sturgeon making a cartwheel to the tune of a broken piano 🤔

Or, stay at the distance you’d want a “bad breath MIL eating with her mouth open at thanksgiving dinner” away from each other. Oh wait. That would be 6,000 miles. Will keep thinking.

Sphynge, who wonders how many variations of sigs Mary keeps in her closet