New here and looking for advice

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody else have over 20 years of handwritten on-paper stuff that they are trying to get into electronic form so they can try to wrangle it into some publishable stuff?

I wrote for many years without any intention of publishing anything. I have boxes and huge binders full of stories, ideas, and world-building. Some of it may be worthwhile, but I can’t type it; a couple of days at a keyboard recently left me in wrist-splints for weeks. At one point years ago I tried voice-to-text. That might work better now, but I don’t really want to spend hours off in a room talking to myself; I can use laptop and iPad with my family around me.

I’ve decided to use Scrivener, and with SelvyPen I can hand-write right in there (Ipad), and I’ve even found an app that can read my handwriting off paper (at least the relatively neat stuff I've tried it on), but both methods leave a mess for editing, and I haven't found anything on the iPad that can fix it efficiently. I'm not sure even the windows version of Scrivener can find and delete all the extra paragraph marks for me. So, route everything through yet another app? Any suggestions?

TIA

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody else have over 20 years of handwritten on-paper stuff . . .

I don't understand "hand-written." You mean like writing before Mark Twain was supposed to have written Tom Sawyer on a typewriter? :e2BIC: A girl once wrote her phone number on my hand. Maybe you mean that?

Anyway, :welcome: to AW where you need to input letters on a screen. :greenie

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
I have some printed on a dot-matrix printer, too. I wonder if that would be easier or harder to import?
We actually had a manual typewriter when I was growing up; those things were a nightmare.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Might try the gig economy.... People around the world bid on transcription jobs; lowest wins. Deem what writing is your best, scan it, and ship it off to the winner. Of course, this will take a lot of time to scan and upload.

Formerly known as odesk.com, https://www.upwork.com/ has been around for years.

Other Options:

https://www.rev.com/
https://www.mturk.com/ (Amazon's Mechanical Turk / work force)