• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Physics: Does Time Really Flow?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly stuff...

The laws of physics imply that the passage of time is an illusion. To avoid this conclusion, we might have to rethink the reality of infinitely precise numbers.

Quanta Magazine said:
Strangely, although we feel as if we sweep through time on the knife-edge between the fixed past and the open future, that edge — the present — appears nowhere in the existing laws of physics.

In Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity, for example, time is woven together with the three dimensions of space, forming a bendy, four-dimensional space-time continuum — a “block universe” encompassing the entire past, present and future. Einstein’s equations portray everything in the block universe as decided from the beginning; the initial conditions of the cosmos determine what comes later, and surprises do not occur — they only seem to. “For us believing physicists,” Einstein wrote in 1955, weeks before his death, “the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”

The timeless, pre-determined view of reality held by Einstein remains popular today. “The majority of physicists believe in the block-universe view, because it is predicted by general relativity,” said Marina Cortês, a cosmologist at the University of Lisbon.

However, she said, “if somebody is called on to reflect a bit more deeply about what the block universe means, they start to question and waver on the implications.”

Physicists who think carefully about time point to troubles posed by quantum mechanics, the laws describing the probabilistic behavior of particles. At the quantum scale, irreversible changes occur that distinguish the past from the future: A particle maintains simultaneous quantum states until you measure it, at which point the particle adopts one of the states. Mysteriously, individual measurement outcomes are random and unpredictable, even as particle behavior collectively follows statistical patterns. This apparent inconsistency between the nature of time in quantum mechanics and the way it functions in relativity has created uncertainty and confusion.

Over the past year, the Swiss physicist Nicolas Gisin has published four papers that attempt to dispel the fog surrounding time in physics. As Gisin sees it, the problem all along has been mathematical. Gisin argues that time in general and the time we call the present are easily expressed in a century-old mathematical language called intuitionist mathematics, which rejects the existence of numbers with infinitely many digits. When intuitionist math is used to describe the evolution of physical systems, it makes clear, according to Gisin, that “time really passes and new information is created.” Moreover, with this formalism, the strict determinism implied by Einstein’s equations gives way to a quantum-like unpredictability. If numbers are finite and limited in their precision, then nature itself is inherently imprecise, and thus unpredictable.

Physicists are still digesting Gisin’s work — it’s not often that someone tries to reformulate the laws of physics in a new mathematical language — but many of those who have engaged with his arguments think they could potentially bridge the conceptual divide between the determinism of general relativity and the inherent randomness at the quantum scale.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score

Fun topic.

I'm of two minds about intuitionism, despite its embrace by Brouwer and Poincare, among other luminaries. Although I've published a few papers in applied mathematics, I'm a physicist, not a mathematician, by training. My concern with intiutionism, however, is that taken literally it would result in a profound impoverishment of mathematics. (Neither Poincare and Brouwer actually ceased doing non-intuitionist mathematics!) That, however, says nothing about the nature of the physical universe, to include descriptions of temporal phenomena. It could well be than any physical quantity must, properly speaking, be represented by a number with a finite number of decimal points--however necessary physical models constructed from manifolds such as spacetime would remain as a descriptive mode.

So there may well be mail to answer on that score.

The synopsis given of Gisin's work, however, puzzles me as it seems to imply that present-day physics is based on the spacetime described by General Relativity and that time is a unitary phenomenon.

News to me, on both counts!

General Relativity is a classical theory than must be the classical limit of some, as yet unknown, quantum theory.

And so far from time being a unitary phenomenon . . . many years ago I spent about an hour thinking about all the different, to the point of inconsistent, ways physicists think of time. If memory serves, I came up with about a dozen ways. Let me see how many I can write down off the top of my head. I leave it to the reader to decide in which of these senses time may be said to "flow:"

1. Start with Einstein's notion of time as a fourth spacetime dimension as just described. It exerts a powerful hold on the imagination of not just physicists!

2. Add to that his notion of proper time, the subjective (if you will) experience of the passage of events by an observer

3. Time as a Lyapunov variable, i.e., the moving finger that writes, and having writ, moves on . . . The quantum version of this is distinct from 2.supra; the search for a consistent proper time formalism in quantum theory began in the early days of Feynman diagrams, and continues to this day, I believe. As an aside, time is NOT always a Lyapunov variable in General Relativity; in the maximally extended Kerr-Newman geometry, the Lyapunov variable as seen by a distant observer is not time, but an angular variable. I promise not to mention time machines. The center cannot hold; things get confused.

4. Time as a degree of freedom in quantum mechanics, relativistic and no

5. Time as a DOF in quantum field theory. QFT brings with it a whole raft of conceptual, mathematical, and technical complications over and above single-particle QM. As an aside, in almost all calculations in QFT one looks at the change in a system from infinitely far in the past to infinitely far in the future (true in most ordinary QM problems); There is a lovely quote from Feynman I'm unable to locate about how it may not even be possible to describe the present moment in QFT that is nicely apposite to Gisin's concerns.

6 Heat death and the time maiden: "Irreversibility" of time as a metonym for the growth of entropy; Vide. Lochscmidt's paradox

7. Time as an affine parameter in senses other than 2 supra, such as the parameterization of generic Feynman paths. As an added wrinkle, massless particles such as the photon do not experience time. What they do experience is sometimes called "affine parameter" in what might be considered a tacit admission of our inability to imagine how the universe looks to a photon.

8. Time as the canonical conjugate variable to energy, specifically for conservative systems, the Hamiltonian. This one, while formally true, raises eyebrows in some circles; Lev Landau in particular made a dismissive crack about it.

9. More generally, time as a generator of canonical transformations. This is actually four distinct senses, in that nonrelativistic dynamics, classical or quantum, is described by a different Lie group than relativistic dynamics, classical or no, but I'm listing 'em all under one head. The relation to count 8 supra . . . lies in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. In my defense, I never claimed that all these senses of the word "time" could be cleanly distinguished.

10. Psychological time: the qualia that measures out our life seconds numbering: The relationship of this sense to all other ones remains obscure, I hardly need note. Not even clear it should be considered a sense in physics, despite the death grip;) it has on the imagination of us all.

I am certain wiser heads than mine could discover additional meanings attached to this little four-letter word in physics.

Last edited: