Looking for out there Science Fantasy

Torsten_Burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
I always enjoyed the idea of Science Fantasy, a genre where you can make fantastical moments without having to stay "real", if that makes any sense? Do you know any books that could be describes as Science Fantasy, and where I can find these books on the Internet?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Throwing a few out there; should be available as eBooks or through Overdrive (if your library system does that). Maybe some of these are what you're looking for.

All the Birds in the Sky, Charlie Jane Anders. A girl destined to become a prodigal witch and a boy destined to become a technological genius clash over the future of humanity.

The Star Rigger universe, Jeffrey A. Carver. An older SF series where hyperspace is navigated and manipulated via lucid dream; the Dragons in the Stars duet has a race of dragons living in hyperspace and manipulating the "Flux" like magic.

Starfire: A Red Peace, Spencer Ellsworth. Strong Star Wars vibes, in a galaxy where a clone army rebelled and conquered the spaceways.

Empress of Forever, Max Gladstone. On the verge of world domination, a woman is pulled from Earth into a far future, where a near-omnipotent Empress rules everything. This is the kind of universe where spaceships can be folded up like a blanket, and only exist for the pathetic few who can't teleport themselves through subspace.

Deathstalker, by Simon R. Green. Openly inspired by Star Wars, where a slacker lordling with hereditary powers becomes the reluctant leader of a galactic rebellion against an insane empress.

Arabella of Mars, by David D. Levine. A world where sailing ships ply the solar system, sort of like Jules Verne or Edgar Rice Burroughs might've written.

Revenger, Alastair Reynolds. Essentially a pirate story in a near-fantastic far future of artificial worlds, where "sunjammer" spaceships hunt down near-magical loot and relics of bygone eras.

Killing Gravity, Corey J. White. After escaping the facility that transformed her into a superpowered weapon, a young woman seeks freedom - and revenge...

A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe, Alex White. A space opera where almost everyone is born with a "glyph" of power that gives them special abilities, including the ones that run their spaceships.

Torsten_Burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your recommendations, I'll start reading them as soon as possible

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of self promotion, I sometimes call my novel science fantasy, having originally been brought to the term by McCaffrey's Pern Series, where dragons arise from genetic engineering.

I don't have dragons, but I do have impossible things thinly veiled with scientific explanation, like the ability to see air at the molecular level, and 'telepathy' occurring through vocalization/auditory ability outside the normal human range.

Aerovoyant (see sig) is the first published novel in my world. It's free on Kindle Unlimited and otherwise 3.99 for the e-book. Two novellas (one with a strong nod to mermaids) are free at my website.

More is in the works, including in my current project people who create electrical shock in their piezus bones, bones in the forearm engineered with electric eel genes, so that these guys can deliver an incapacitating blow through touch.

Again, not trying to self-promote, but I do think of this world as science fantasy--and you asked. I query as science fiction, formally, and if an agent mentions science fantasy then I adjust my query to that, since it feels closer to the mark.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I don't think it's really self-promotion when you're just sharing your personal experience/perspective as an author with your peers, something we all do, and usually find mutually beneficial. Providing details regarding where to find specific works (including one's own) may be deemed simple courtesy.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
God Engines by John Scalzi probably fits your bill.