Howdy all

nomdepioro

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I hope you're staying safe and sane.

I'm Matt. I joined a few months ago with the intention of rededicating myself to the goal of becoming a full-time writer in 2020... and well, we'll see how that goes! So far not so good.

Perhaps the most important thing to say about myself is that I am a planner, not a pantser. Discovering that distinction recently was a revelation for me, even if I still have a problem with finishing most of my writing projects. I also discovered the Snowflake Method, which I have to admit I find pretty cool.

I'd like to apologize for the pun in the previous sentence. That was honestly unintended. I don't mind admitting that I'm a dork who likes the Snowflake Method, but I don't want anyone to take me for a punster. I'm strongly anti-pun, and I don't associate myself with punsters. I have not spoken to my uncle in several years.

What else. I like to read. I'm not sure I have a favorite genre. I tend to enjoy stories that mix genres creatively. At the same time, most of my outlines morph into mysteries, even when I try something like straight-forward science fiction. So maybe I belong in the Mystery section. I used to read a lot of Ray Bradbury, and the first real grownup book I remember trying to read was the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes. I remember the vocabulary being impossible for me to wade through.

What I've been working on recently: I'm trying my hand at blogging, which I should have started doing long ago. Perhaps it's the pantser nature of it, or the fact that blogs did not exist during my formative teen years, which explains why I have had difficulty with the format. If you're interested, you're welcome to check out my first post, in which I collect my favorite quotes about writing (as motivation for myself in the new year). Initially I thought the post might come across as too depressing... but now it seems quite apt!

My other project at the moment is building a website for ESL students. My day job is as an English teacher, and I was hoping to transition to online teaching even before my school got shut down due to the pandemic. On a related note, I'm curious to know if anyone here writes in English as their non-native language. I would like to share some recommendations for writing books with future students. Are there specific books that have helped you improve your English writing skills?

My apologies if there's a more appropriate thread to pose that question, and if there are any other points I should have addressed in my self introduction. I'm happy to answer any questions!

(PS. Can somebody explain to me how to change my avatar? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Everything you want to know about avatars.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.