• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Compound Help

Mel Born

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
Hi all,

Very quick question.

Is the adulterer's gone an okay compound for the adulterer has gone?

my gut feel is it is correct, but don't know why. It looks right, but feels wrong...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
The contraction is acceptable for dialogue, but only for dialogue because it's a normal speech pattern.

"Bob's got something up his sleeve," Mary said.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'd argue that it works in prose too, if it's what your POV character would say.

Was "contraction" the word you're looking for or are contractions called "compounds" in some places?

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
From the POV of a linguist (or and ESL learner) contractions are a sub-class of compound words.

The linguistic argument for contractions as compounds relies on describing "not" as a word rather than a morpheme or particle.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
From the POV of a linguist (or and ESL learner) contractions are a sub-class of compound words.

The linguistic argument for contractions as compounds relies on describing "not" as a word rather than a morpheme or particle.

Oh, interesting!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'd argue that it works in prose too, if it's what your POV character would say.

Was "contraction" the word you're looking for or are contractions called "compounds" in some places?

I'd agree with this. If it's fictional prose, and you are writing in an informal voice that resembles that of a character (or of a colloquial narrator), it works outside of dialog. It wouldn't think it works for a more formal or professional style of prose. AFAIK standard contractions (can't, it's etc.) are generally fine, even in more formal prose, nowadays, but it depends on the style preferences of a publication, and on the tone one is trying to achieve.

That is interesting.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is the adulterer's gone an okay compound for the adulterer has gone?

my gut feel is it is correct, but don't know why.

Your gut is right. "The adulterer's gone" is a perfect contraction for "The adulterer has gone."