Masks for Do it Your Selfers — including Masks for the Deaf

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Masks to be excellent to deaf lip-readers:

Masks-for-friends-of-deaf-and-hard-of-hearing.jpg

A luxury in these times of shortages, but sometimes it's the thought that counts. Learning a few ASL signs :ty: :ily: :applause: might be as effective. :greenie

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those are pretty cool. Do you need them for friends and family? Because I think I could make them, and I'm pretty sure I have the plastic in small quantity, leftover from a long-ago project.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Those masks are cool. I shared the original story and Chase's link on social media. It's one of those things I'd never thought of.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I am a hermit who orders everything online. I do go to the doctore every three months, though. And I have been concerned about people, like me :deaf: , who communicate via lip reading. Those masks are way cool.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a do-it-yourself option that doesn't require sewing.

Note that cloth mask without a piece of HEPA filter aren't great. This one could have a HEPA filter piece (typically made from unusued HEPA vaccuum cleaner bags) inserted.

Also note:

Use a mask. Wash the cloth ASAP in hot soapy water, and dry on high heat.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just to make the context clear: CDC Has New Guidelines

Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission

This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

So:

Wash your hands

Isolate yourself as much as possible

Stay at least 6 feet away from other people if you must venture into the wild public

And Wash Your Hands

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Warning yesterday on the news, those hepa filter vacuum bags have chemical in them you would not want to breath through right up to your face. I'm not seeing a link with the info. I'll keep looking.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This New York Times video on making a face mask (not medical but will help protect others) out of an old t-shirt and safety pins strikes me as something kids could do with a little help.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My masks aren't brilliant, but they're good enough that people have complimented them. We like the pleated ones more than the shaped ones.

I understand elastic braid and quarter-inch elastic are not to be found. If you don't have a stash, I found a work-around: a clean shoelace, the kind you pull from your athletic shoes before you throw them out.

Mr. Maryn's mask has a shoelace that he prefers over the elastic. The bottom of the mask has a loop of lace you put behind your neck. You pull the mask into place and pull the ends of the shoelace, keeping the length of the two ends about the same, until the loop tightens to a comfortable level. Put the two free ends behind your head, above your ears or higher, and tie a bow. If necessary, adjust the mask's gathers on the side. Easy-peasy.

If that doesn't make sense, I could be persuaded to do pictures.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My masks aren't brilliant, but they're good enough that people have complimented them. We like the pleated ones more than the shaped ones.

I understand elastic braid and quarter-inch elastic are not to be found. If you don't have a stash, I found a work-around: a clean shoelace, the kind you pull from your athletic shoes before you throw them out.

Mr. Maryn's mask has a shoelace that he prefers over the elastic. The bottom of the mask has a loop of lace you put behind your neck. You pull the mask into place and pull the ends of the shoelace, keeping the length of the two ends about the same, until the loop tightens to a comfortable level. Put the two free ends behind your head, above your ears or higher, and tie a bow. If necessary, adjust the mask's gathers on the side. Easy-peasy.

If that doesn't make sense, I could be persuaded to do pictures.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's among the how-tos that look both good and do-able by those who are less than expert but know how to work the sewing machine. Thanks for the link.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I've worn the 3D mask my friend printed a few times now. Seems to work well. The only suggestion I'd make is to criss-cross the strap material. He sent shock cord, like an elastic 550 cord, and I ran it top to top and bottom to bottom. I think it'd be more comfortable in an X, but that may be because I'm bald.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I find peace and comfort in making "ear savers" for healthcare and other essential employees. I can't sew, or really do much of anything anymore, but I found I can slowly, messily sew buttons onto lengths of ribbon. I gave the first batch to my hospice nurse, who shared them with her co-workers. She said her ears had been so sore and they really help. I can't believe I found a concrete way to help!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lucky to only need a mask for an hour or so, and even that short a time leaves my ears pretty tender. So good for you, getting these into the hands of people who are masked for hours at a time.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find peace and comfort in making "ear savers" for healthcare and other essential employees. I can't sew, or really do much of anything anymore, but I found I can slowly, messily sew buttons onto lengths of ribbon. I gave the first batch to my hospice nurse, who shared them with her co-workers. She said her ears had been so sore and they really help. I can't believe I found a concrete way to help!

What a great idea! I can relate.:hooray:

This is a good time for some inventors to better design N95s and the other masks. Those little metal strips at the top you are supposed to bend around your nose are almost impossible to get a good fit with.

I have some N100s* with soft, rubbery, inner-face pieces and they still hurt after wearing the mask for very long because you have to keep the mask so tight. So I don't think just padding the rim of the mask will help that much. But maybe someone knows of some magic spongy material that would keep the tight masks more comfortable.

*I'm not using these but so far none of the donation sites want them. These are the kind of masks I mailed off to a friend in Oz to use for the smoke. He hasn't used them yet and there didn't seem to be any health care agencies around that wanted them (according to him). I have ~10 left.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Surely I can't be the only person who hasn't had anything like a nylon stocking in the house for years. Maybe wadded in the very back of the dresser, behind a drawer?

Maryn, aware fashions change

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Researchers now suggest that a combination of cotton with natural silk or chiffon (yes, the material many nighties are made out of) could effectively filter out airborne particles. Since the coronavirus can be spread through respiratory droplets — say when an infected person coughs or sneezes — University of Chicago professor Supratik Guha and his fellow researchers set out to determine which readily available materials best filter out the droplets.

Article here.

Research paper here.

Again, this assumes you're still practicing social distancing, washing your hands and avoiding touching your face. This is a mask meant to assist in protecting other people. It is not a medical grade mask.