• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How much should I say?

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
One of the issues I worry about is my disability. It devastates motor control, voice software is out because of the affect on my speech, but I worry about agents getting the book and seeing what some would consider simple mistakes. I go through everything a number of times, use the read out loud feature in Word. However, every time I edit a mistake I am at risk of making another and I am stuck in this cycle. Mistakes like doubling a letter: heerd or extra spaces, or not having certain punctuation or having an extra. I hope by eliminating the bigger stuff as to many -ly words, 'show don't tell' that kind of stuff. I catch these mistakes, if an agent wants 25 pages I go over that every time, but I make more. If I get to having an agent should I tell them about the disability and the challenges it presents?

This is it:Friedreich's ataxia is a rare genetic disease that causes difficulty walking, a loss of sensation in the arms and legs, and impaired speech. It's also known as spinocerebellar degeneration.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're facing this and I wish there was a simple, ready solution for it.

Not having been in your shoes, I'm unsure what to say beyond what I hope are helpful ideas. Have you considered a beta reader, and being specific as to what type of mistakes to look for? Obviously, professional copy editing and proofreading would fulfill the same goal, but this is expensive and not usually recommended for someone seeking an agent (the publisher will provide these services when the book is being published). This might be a lot to ask of a beta, but will catch most of the biggies. As to what to say to the agent, I imagine it will be important to bring up at some point, but leading with that out of the gate doesn't feel right somehow.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Chris.

While an agent is likely to be fully sympathetic to how difficult your illness makes writing, what they care about first is whether you've presented them with something marketable, not how horrendously hard it was for you to create it. You may have to seek a sympathetic beta reader to go over it as well as they're able, finding and fixing the kinds of goofs you mention. (Spell check will catch some, of course.) A pro edit will cost too much, but a skilled amateur can do a lot of good.

Maryn, who knows some folks around here are that good

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I wasn't going to mention the disability out the gate since it has no impact on the story no one in the story is in a chair. I do try my best to catch the mistakes, so they won't litter the story. I use editing software as well (Prowriting aid) and of course the Read aloud feature highlights as it goes. I do have to say I am nervous about beta reading, last time it triggered me, but that was before I got treatment (PTSD, BPD). I do miss beta reading for people, I loved that aspect.