Excellent Use of #Gardening

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weirdly, given a year that began with drought, bushfires, duststorms and floods, my vegie garden and fruit trees are producing like mad things. So I have a text-message group of near neighbours, and I send them updates about what is pickable at the moment. They text me before they come, I stay inside, they wander and pluck in single numbers to their hearts content and usually leave a jar of honey or some soup in exchange on the doorstep. It's great because it gives us all another fist-bump for social isolating (which as we all know can be awkward when some people are and some people aren't) avoids supermarket trips - and it doesn't waste food that can be used. Plus - free honey and soup!

#Gardening

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is fabulous.

It snowed here yesterday, but I've already asked a friend to bring me two tomato plants (and them drop off on the patio because lockdown).

I'm trying to find seeds or plants for a few herbs; seeds have vanished here, and the mail order companies have them back ordered.

I'm actually eyeing these Sprout pencils if I can't source seeds.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hoooo boy.
tl/dr version: we raised a lotta money for charity through plants.

Longer version:
For a decade or more, I've been a member of one of my workplace's fundraising teams for the Cancer Society. We do bake sales, soup-and-bread-roll sales, quiz nights, sausage roll sales, quilt raffles... pretty much everything. This year was pretty poignant for me because one of our founding members, who was also my best friend, died of cancer.

Last week, I set up a fundraiser selling the excess 2 year old+ carnivorous plants from my wife's greenhouse. OMG. In a day and a half, we sold out -- 50+ plants -- and raised over six hundred dollars for the charity.

And everyone was delighted with the plants. And we were delighted with the fundraiser.

And ..... it's a good thing.

In retrospect, we realised that we're selling the plants for a lot less than the garden centres do, so we'll probably re-evaluate. But....In other news, my workplace has decided that they need to cut staff by 50% (no joke!), so odds are I'll be unemployed next year. In which case... we might start up a new business, selling plants, to keep us afloat. :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a lovely story. Well done on the fundraising - and I hope the new venture does brilliantly :)

Last edited: