Fashion (or "Fashion") For Fun

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've been working from home for a couple of years now, so I'm already convinced of the old "get up and get dressed just like you were going to an office" thing. But there are some things that I've found particularly pleasant to have in my arsenal:

1) Nice socks. My step-daughter's partner gave me some alpaca socks for Christmas. I didn't try them right away - my skin generally dislikes wool, and I figured they'd just make me itch - but there was this one day when I hadn't done enough laundry, so I put them on. They were warm, soft, and lovely, and they didn't aggravate my sensitive skin at all. I bought two more pairs. Not cheap, but they're as warm as slippers, and you can throw them in the laundry with everything else.

2) Fun hair color. I've been home-coloring my hair for about 33 years, but because my hair is (was) naturally dark, I always used permanent. Enter Overtone, one of a bunch of companies making semi-permanent hair color. Their product also serves as a conditioner, which makes it fairly easy to apply, although there are caveats: 1) if your hair is long, you're going to want to take the time to distribute it evenly, at least the first few times; and 2) some of the colors are pretty potent, and you may want to wear gloves. (It'll wash off your hands, but for the Extreme colors, the reds in particular, it may take some time.)

I stopped using permanent hair color a couple of months ago. I'll let y'all know how Overtone copes with my increasing grays. :)

Are y'all doing anything fun at home? Dressing in a formal gown for your video calls? Wearing angler fish slippers that light up? What's been fun and uplifting for you?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a regular customer at Sock Dreams for some time. While I own serious "adult" socks, I prefer the silly, since usually no one sees more than a glimpse. I didn't know alpaca wasn't going to be itchy, so maybe I should seek them out. Who makes yours?

I'm afraid to mess with hair color. Even being careful, I've had to repaint the bathroom due to covering my silver not once but twice. A smarter woman would have painted it brown in the first place.

But I admit I've grown bored with jeans-tee-overshirt every day, no makeup since Mr. Maryn literally cannot even tell, hair just out of my way. I think I need to declare a day for a decent shirt or sweater and some makeup, at least, and if I go all-out, perhaps a barrette. (Ooh-la-la!) I happen to be available Friday. What do you say, ladies? Friday we look nice, for ourselves?

Maryn, considering a skirt, oh my

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I have all my nice socks collected and organized, including a nice pair of fleur-de-lis ones I thought went missing. I almost never wear socks in the house, but having them there is a great comfort. Otherwise, I'm pretty much in black pants and a T-shirt with a dog on it.

Similarly, my SO's got the last box of Nutrisse Hot Tamale hair coloring anywhere in the city. Her bangs are great and she's got lipstick on to stay at home rewatching Tiger King.

So we're both in good shape, but it sounds like we're gonna get through this thing looking like every other LA hipster couple in their 30s-40s.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've been a regular customer at Sock Dreams for some time. While I own serious "adult" socks, I prefer the silly, since usually no one sees more than a glimpse. I didn't know alpaca wasn't going to be itchy, so maybe I should seek them out. Who makes yours?

I'm not sure where step-daughter's partner got the ones he gave me - I think they're from a local farm. But I did order two pairs from Warrior Alpaca Socks. Not cheap, but soft and warm and fuzzy. (I am wearing a pair now!)

I'm afraid to mess with hair color. Even being careful, I've had to repaint the bathroom due to covering my silver not once but twice. A smarter woman would have painted it brown in the first place.

:roll:Yeah, decades of practice have helped, but I still make a nightmarish mess from time to time. The beauty of the Overtone is it washes off - although sometimes it takes some bleach and a scrub brush. :)

But I admit I've grown bored with jeans-tee-overshirt every day, no makeup since Mr. Maryn literally cannot even tell, hair just out of my way. I think I need to declare a day for a decent shirt or sweater and some makeup, at least, and if I go all-out, perhaps a barrette. (Ooh-la-la!) I happen to be available Friday. What do you say, ladies? Friday we look nice, for ourselves?

Maryn, considering a skirt, oh my

I haven't dressed up since, um, oh, I think years ago when I took The Kid and a friend to the Nutcracker in Boston. For me, dressing up is wearing jeans instead of yoga pants. :) But I have been making an effort to do the sort of grooming I do when I'm out running errands. I've also encouraged The Kid to dress in something that makes her feel cute - she's much more into fashion than I ever was, and she's got a good eye for what looks nice on her. She hasn't done it yet, though - she's been busy cleaning her room, and I suppose that's not a sundress activity. :)

But YES, I think Friday should be about making ourselves feel good about our appearance! You wear a skirt. I will wear my outside jeans, and maybe even do my hair.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love that you have outside jeans. I truly do.

I have a decent collection of hippie skirts, but it's still kind of cool here for miles of thin fabric no matter how many tiers it's got. I think my Friday choice will be the ever-so-daring black mid-calf, with leggings.

I'm aware that I'm home schlepping around in don't-care so much that it's taking forever to accumulate a load of laundry that's suitable for lingerie. I changed the bed just to get that. (And because it needed it, I guess. Mostly, I need clean lingerie.)

Maryn, who dug out some fun pillowcases

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I love that you have outside jeans. I truly do.

I have a decent collection of hippie skirts, but it's still kind of cool here for miles of thin fabric no matter how many tiers it's got. I think my Friday choice will be the ever-so-daring black mid-calf, with leggings.

I'm aware that I'm home schlepping around in don't-care so much that it's taking forever to accumulate a load of laundry that's suitable for lingerie. I changed the bed just to get that. (And because it needed it, I guess. Mostly, I need clean lingerie.)

Maryn, who dug out some fun pillowcases

Oh, bedclothes! We just got a new bedspread, because our old one was torn and the cats were making it worse. The new one is green and blue and red and looks like peacock feathers. I love so much that Spouse is into mad color schemes.

On Friday I will wear my favorite deep blue fleece sweater and jeans that actually fit (I have a few pairs that are a little big; I'm in between sizes, or at least I was the last time I wore jeans!). I will wear alpaca socks and comb my hair. I will be unrecognizable. :)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I have been moving and breaking down things all February in old work-clothes so I have been dressing nicely and comfortably, but probably not fashionably, since the lock-down just to get a month of stained jeans and torn sweaters out of my system. But I haven't been doing any jewellery yet so far and I'm thinking of picking that up again just to feel pretty.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I make myself put in earrings a couple of times a week because one of the piercings feels tight if I don't. All these years, and it still wants to close? I think not.

We desperately need a new bedspread--well, a comforter, I guess is what we need--since ours is old and looks it, plus it's the wrong color for the new bedroom. We agreed when our new bed arrived we'd shop for it, but now the bed is "in the country, but at a warehouse" and isn't coming any time soon. At least we got the mattress already and have the old frame.

And of course the quilting fabrics I gathered over a period of years are also the wrong color. I had my chance to make a quilt that went beautifully, but no-o-o, I had to write books instead.

Maryn, all about bad choices

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:Yeah, decades of practice have helped, but I still make a nightmarish mess from time to time.

I confess sometimes when I shower after you, I wonder if I’m actually living with Hannibal Lector...

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, bedclothes! We just got a new bedspread, because our old one was torn and the cats were making it worse. The new one is green and blue and red and looks like peacock feathers. I love so much that Spouse is into mad color schemes.

“Mad”? Aren’t all bedspreads meant to have every color known to man? :idea:

You forgot to mention that was less than half-price on sale — Corona bonus! :tongue

Edited to say: I realize in perfect 20/20 hindsight that saying "Corona bonus" is in poor taste. Apologies.

In my defense, 1) I don't believe this was actually a sale due to this virus (it was billed as a clearance sale of older inventory), and 2) I actually am throwing a bit of money at places I've shopped before, local where possible, small / independents where possible, because I know they're struggling and suffering from weaker sales.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of sad about that. We've only recently moved here (in the fall) and hardly patronized any local businesses. I'd support the ones I liked if I liked any.

I had a self-pampering dilemma. (The horror!) We're almost out of hand soap in the master bath. Why not order something special, a little luxury? And maybe something nice for the kitchen and the powder room, too, since we're washing hands there so often these days. So I go to the website where I'd shop, and there are too. Many. Choices. Like sixty. I ended up not getting any.

Maryn, in a scented daze

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We patronize a local farm, nice people good products, but we’ve got too much of their meat in our freezer to buy more now, so I’ve been trying to steer others their way.

Soap, yeah. A billion options there. I buy bulk Ivory bars for our bathrooms, and handmade goat soap bars for kitchen — doubt our annual “farm days” fair will happen in town this year, though, and that’s our source. :cry:

Wish I knew local sources for more things. We just don’t live in a densely-populated place, so there’s not much of anything here. Our local pizza & sandwich shut down for a few weeks. Not much else in town for dining.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Okay, it is Friday.

And I will confess: I am not put together. My favorite sweater is still in the wash, and my hair is clean and combed but not "done." I have also not boosted my color in a few days, because I need to open a new bottle and I keep forgetting to do it before I get in the shower.

BUT I am wearing a lovely fleece-lined lilac sweatshirt that is beautifully soft, seriously comfortable gray yoga pants, and my best pair of alpaca socks. And it's possible my unmentionables are sporting a festive pattern of some kind.

I got up. I had breakfast. I'm thinking. I'm laughing. I'll take it.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're way ahead of me. I'm in an oversized bathrobe I made for Mr. Maryn six or seven years ago, only it was too warm. My master plan is yard work by day, then clean up, wet-hair sewing of face masks for future use, then hair drying, mascara, and who knows where that might lead? OMG, are we talking lip gloss?

Actually, I think I need a period of looking good in the mirror for myself. Mr. Maryn will not notice unless I ask if I look nice. He routinely replies that I do before he actually looks at me. Whether that annoys me or pleases me depends on my mood.

Maryn, who trips on this too-long bathrobe and should retire it

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually grabbed a top out of the "Goodwill Pile" and put it on this morning, and Mr. Hunny said: "Wow, you got dressed up today!"

*It took everything within me to keep from ROFL* :roll:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I applaud unmentionables in festive colours.

I didn't dress up on Friday as it was cleaning day here at Froggy's house and today garden work was on the agenda. But I dug out my jewellery box out of the junk pile it had gotten lost in, and have sorted my earrings. So on Monday when I pick a clean outfit I will be all set for matching jewellery!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I love my jewelry so much that I never take it off and often forget I'm wearing it. :) I'm wearing two necklaces given to me by Spouse, my engagement and wedding rings, a tungsten carbide ring engraved with a name from my books, and a bracelet with my kid's name on it that she got me for Christmas.

I love earrings, but it's been so long I'm going to need a needle to get anything through the holes!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did it, for the record, wearing a skirt and makeup and everything. And he followed along, sort of, a button-front shirt with his jeans. We then proceeded to a humorous muck-up.

See, it was the warmest day yet, so we had a glass of wine outside, then went in to make a dinner we've made many, many times, only we messed it up and ended up eating in courses. Salad, okay, that can be a course. But it's not usually followed by the potato course, the fish course, and last, the vegetable course. It wasn't that much wine, but that's all it took to forget to preheat the oven, put the water on to boil, or actually put the food and heat source together.

It was still a pleasant evening, for the record, and I looked fabulous. In my own mind, anyway.

Maryn, not that fabulous now

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried styling my hair differently to see if my wife or son will make a comment. Mind you its short, so my options are limited. I use a gel or hair paste to style it. I tried perfect Ken hair, cotton swab hair, grunge hair, bed head, right part, and spiked. My wife asked me if I was going to take a shower when I wore bed head (I showered the night before and went to bed with it wet)

I still have to try center part, center mohawk, combed down bangs, and brush top. I'm sure there are more I can try. We have a virtual hangout via Zoom each Thursday with my coworkers and I went with spiked. No one said anything.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
LOL, that's funny. Our son had to come home early from Africa, so we're putting him to work on all sorts of projects.

In all seriousness: she's been cleaning her room, which is no small task. She's determined to make her space what she wants it, and she figures now is the perfect time. We've told her when all this is over we'll look into updating her furniture.

I have to stop myself from rooting through everything she wants to donate, though. She's brutal about Stuff. I am hopelessly sentimental.