Audacious April - 500 words/editing a day, all genres welcome

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Half way through the month and not much to show.

Hope you're all doing well

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hang in there, Zan. These are those interesting times we were warned about.
Cindyt, great work as always - and so consistent!

Chapter 41/44 completed for me. Right in the thick of the final action, now. My wife must hate it, cos that means I've got the music up loud to keep me in the right spot ;).

Best to all of you. We can do this.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 15

Word Count 1569

onsecondglance - Congrats on your progress!

I am into the next to last big part with a sort one between and then the epilogue.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A while ago I created a simple word count spreadsheet keeping a daily record of words written. I've done a version for April (what's left of it), May and June and it can be downloaded from:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VRp6Hm0ufrW40qxb8ji7epiu6S9f1Tu-/view

All you need to do is download a copy and save it locally. There is an instruction tab included to give you an idea of how it works.

Thought it might be worth sharing as a tool to keep people going during lock down. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I will vouch for BlackKnight's spreadsheets. I've been using them since late last year, and they are easy to use and very helpful. :)

Cindyt - I'm the same way. :)

BlackKnight - I've had the same experience, books being too long mostly due to tangents and figuring out what the story is, and then rewrites, cutting, and lots of revising to massage them into shape. I've gotten better at writing cleaner drafts since then. However, The Vanishing might just kill me.

Zan75 and Liz - Hugs.

OSG - Huzzah on getting close! And I am a big fan of loud music with my writing. ;)

Due to an 8-day migraine, I haven't written in forever. Or what feels like forever. Today I wrote 1,551 words on The Vanishing. Feels good. Hope I can continue.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 19

Word Count 1717

Saoirse - With me it's depression. It's not paralyzing, but I can't write. And antidepressants kill my desire to create. So I just ride it out.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Cindyt - I suffer from depression too. I haven't had antidepressants take away my creativity, but I have heard of that happening. Hugs to you. I've weaned off one of them and am weaning off the other due to side effects I can no longer tolerate. I haven't noticed a difference yet, but it hasn't been that long.

229 words last night on The Vanishing. Going to try to write some more tonight.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
A patchy couple of days, but another chapter down. Just one more of blowing stuff up to go, then it's onto the aftermath.

Big push, everyone, for the last week of the month!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I had a decent day yesterday, another thousand down. At this rate I might just squeeze "THE END" into this month... April has 45 days, right?

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Well done everyone!

Cindyt - well done on the output, that some serious numbers!

OSG - great to hear you're nearing the end, keep going, you've still got another day to go!

Saoirse - hope you're healthy and getting some words down

Despite being flat out with work, trying to maintain something approaching fitness and taking care of all my usual day to day stuff, I've FINALLY finished my 6th pass of editing. My word count is down from 290k to a little over 208k. Which is better, but still far too high.

After deleting two bit part players (including one of my favourites, I'm running out of things to cut (without majorly affecting the plot or a sub plot that feeds directly into it). Never mind, I guess it's worth one more pass before I give up and start on my next project! :)

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane.

Last edited: