Self-Care and Maybe Some Self-Pampering

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tell us how you’re taking extra-special care of yourself and your loved ones in difficult and isolated times. Tips, funny stories, and product recommendations welcome.

I'll go first. While the stores are closed, a particular bath and self-care place that carries terrific scented body wash, bubble bath, etc. had a sale. I ordered favorites, and taking a shower or bath has gone from just fine to a hedonistic pleasure. I've added to it with relaxing music (Calla Lily turned me on to Adam Hurst, a welcome addition to my collection), candles, wine, and the occasional paperback. Oh, and it helped to clean the bathroom and get out the good towels, because why the hell not?

There's a rule: No library books and no hardcovers allowed for bathtub reading.

I emerge not only clean but damned near serene.

How are you taking special care of yourself and those you love?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My garden and my wildlife "pets" are keeping me sane right now. I normally have no use for gray squirrels, but there's one that comes around whenever I open the birdseed cans. It's a female, possibly pregnant, and has such a hopeful attitude that I usually end up giving her a peanut or two. This has been going on for a week now. I've started calling her Mooch. My neighborhood foxes continue to visit in the evenings, and I get a lot of pleasure out of reviewing their antics on my three trail cams. And of course, the birds are always there.

When I feel overwhelmed (usually after reading too many coronavirus articles), I resort to an online game of Spider Solitaire accompanied by the music of Keola Beamer, a Hawaiian slack-key guitar virtuoso. Here's his "Slack Key Music Box."

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've been drawing, mostly at the prompting of The Kid, who's a pretty serious recreational artist. The last time I drew with any seriousness was more than 20 years ago, but bits and pieces are coming back. My biggest problem is fine motor control - shading is my nemesis!

I've been doing tutorials from RapidFireArt on YouTube, who is actually one woman who breaks things down in a way that works well for me. I've also bought this book, which is beautiful but so far way too advanced for me. I'm also lusting after this book on lighting.

It's immersive and relaxing in a very different way from writing.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, work is helping a lot to pass the time during the day. I'm about to have a few days off, so we'll see if I go a little buzzy.

I'm getting more exercise overall, with an hour or two walk or bike ride each day now that I don't have the commute any more. I've tried a few recipes (shrimp scampi turned out really well, red beans and rice with Ethiopian berbere sauce okay but not beans and rice as I know it, hot curry fried egg sandwich was meh).

Lots of reading done, and online trainings through coursera, futurelearn and edx.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Lots of reading done, and online trainings through coursera, futurelearn and edx.

Oh, yes! I'm also doing an online course in React, which is turning out to be a lot of fun (and makes me feel not quite as rusty with the software stuff as I thought :)).

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a keyboard! It's been about 14 years since I played an instrument regularly, and when I did it was guitar...so this is an exciting new adventure for me! I played piano when I was a kid, but that's been longer ago than I like to think about.

After running through my ramen and mac n' cheez, I'm actually making an effort to cook for myself. Trout, mashed cauliflower and chocolate cake today.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a lot more focused on getting a workout in each day. I took a day off on Monday (the day after getting my first "perfect week (all activity)," "perfect exercise week," and "7 Workout Week" badges on my activity app), and I actually was pretty cranky, so I guess I'll keep it up, at least through my staycation. My gym has video classes available, my chorus choreographer has a few zumba classes via Zoom each week, and I've been walking a lot in the area when it's not too sunny, so I have a few options.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've been a lot more focused on getting a workout in each day. I took a day off on Monday (the day after getting my first "perfect week (all activity)," "perfect exercise week," and "7 Workout Week" badges on my activity app), and I actually was pretty cranky, so I guess I'll keep it up, at least through my staycation. My gym has video classes available, my chorus choreographer has a few zumba classes via Zoom each week, and I've been walking a lot in the area when it's not too sunny, so I have a few options.

I'm actually amazed at how well most of our household activities have adapted well to video. The Kid takes singing lessons, and she reports those going very well. I've had two medical appointments (neither requiring a physical exam) which also went well, despite one of the doctors having a slightly shaky internet connection.

The only thing that really won't work is The Kid's dance classes. She's never been very serious about them anyway, but I'm going to have to encourage her to practice. The instructor is still crossing her fingers that the June recital will happen. She's also told the kids to send her videos of them dancing, practice or otherwise. She really wants to keep in touch.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Has the instructor tried something like Zoom? It's a little difficult to use for chorus rehearsal (although we are) because we can't all sing together, and we're just following our director's hands and hoping that we sound good, but at least she can gather us together in one place (virtually) and give us some sort of direction. The biggest problem is that since she can't hear us, there's no way to know how our blend is, if someone's making us go flat, if there's an area of the chorus that's singing a vowel wrong, etc. Plus there's a slight lag time between when she's directing and what she sees us reacting to (much less that she can't hear any of us). This just makes it so we're just singing things over and over without knowing what we actually need to work on.

But I could imagine a dance instructor using Zoom and watching all the kids practicing via video to the music playing on their feed. The lag will still exist, but she could watch their moves more-or-less as one. I've been doing Zumba via Zoom, and had a lot more luck with the dance moves lining up to the music in the videos I can see (once the instructor increased her internet speed)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Your choir too, huh? We're doing that and it's a godsend, but dear goodness, the time we tried to sing together was a nightmare.

Self-care involves going to virtual choir practice 1x weekly; it fills me up socially and gives me something to work on. (Sorry, neighbors, I hope you like the soprano part of Mozart's Requiem!)

I've also taken to walking while listening to music. Usually I don't do that, for safety and a desire to be unplugged when outside. But now I am doing it because it lulls me into a meditative state. One earbud out, special attention at all intersections including alleys, walking in broad daylight in the safe part of town. (I'm lucky to live there.)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first batch of oatmeal/walnut/chocolate chip cookies are almost out of the oven.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be right over. I'll stand outside your window and you can toss me one.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*spends the next couple hours making adorable little cookie parachutes*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crafts are good when you're cooped up. Hope you made lots of those parachutes.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The cookie supply dwindled faster than the parachute production ramped up.

I don't need so many now.