Western pulp

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpfoot

Registered
Reaction score
Do you read it? I will confess that I do. I am a big L'amour fan. These quick paperback westerns are a guilty pleasure for some and for others just trash. What do you think? Although I do have to say that my favorite L'amour is not a western, I have to go with The walking drum.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read a western from time to time, including L'Amour. I don't really classify L'Amour's books as pulp though (the old pulp fiction westerns were done using a formula approach). I think L'Amour books are a cut above that, and some of them are excellent.

My favorite writers in this genre would probably be Jack Schaefer (Shane and Monte Walsh) and A.B. Guthrie (The Way West).

stumpfoot

Registered
Reaction score
True, L'amour is definatly better then most of those guys. I guess I called them pulp, refering to the era in which he started. Though your right, he is better than that. I guess I could add another question, Do you think L'amour's portrayal of the west was accurate? I mean putting his bigger than life characters aside, did he get it right?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
L'Amour was famous for his library and his knowledge of the west. I'm guessing he got it as right as he wanted to. Still, many readers of westerns expect the mythical west that they're familiar with. In some of L'Amour stories, he didn't stray too far from that kind of story. And, personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it that way. Some of his other books were more historical in nature.

I think Schaefer (at least in Monte Walsh) and Guthrie probably came as close to anyone in "getting it right".

By the way, there's a member here named James Ritchie who has written some western books. I read one of his a couple of years ago. You might see if you can find one of his books and read it.

ac

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
stumpfoot said:
Do you read it? I will confess that I do. I am a big L'amour fan. These quick paperback westerns are a guilty pleasure for some and for others just trash. What do you think? Although I do have to say that my favorite L'amour is not a western, I have to go with The walking drum.

I love Louis L'Amour, but most of his stuff is NOT pulp.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, L'Amour and Zane Grey especially -- and when I was buying them they were yellow backed softcovers made from the cheapest paper -- the very defintion of pulp. It may be seen as derogatory now but the term is just descriptive of popular genre books issue in cheap formats -- which he was. (not so much now but then who publishers mass market westerns now?)

stumpfoot

Registered
Reaction score
James, I didnt mean to use the term pulp in a derogatory way or insinuate that his stuff was cheap. I love LL as well and have every book written by him on my shelf including his book of poems (Smoke from this altar) and Frontier (Photography). I think Comstock lode is one of the great books about Virginia city. Again when I used the word pulp I was refering more to a time period and the fact that nearly all his books were released as paperbacks and not hardbacks.

stumpfoot

Registered
Reaction score
I've never read Ralph Compton, But I definatly have seen his books. Whats the chance of picking his brain? Getting his take on writing and getting published and what not?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
He's actually pretty danged accessible & approachable, which is how I met him to begin with. Actually, in person, he'd probably go up to you and introduce himself, he's really personable/friendly.

What state are you in, stumpfoot? There's a conference in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, where he is on the board, always out & about visiting, selling books in the main area, and presenting. It's pretty inexpensive, too.

I went to an all-day workshop he gave back in February. Thing is, anything he says can be applied to any genre. :) I'll see if I can find my notes from his presentation. I'll get them typed up and send you a copy. (It might be a while, though, with everything else going on here. Company from California will be here Monday.)

stumpfoot

Registered
Reaction score
I am in Oregon. I didnt notice my little blurb had been erased I guess I will have to go back and redo all my personal info. by the way I noticed you are in SE Ok. What part? I used to live in the Tahlequah area when I was younger.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Ah. Yeah, Oregon might be a bit far to travel for the conference. It's a good, although small-ish, one.

I grew up in Ada and now live in McAlester. I would love to live in Eureka Springs, but -- barring that -- I'd like to live in Ada again.

Today was a long one work-wise, so I'll look for the notes from Dusty's workshop later this evening, type them tomorrow after work is done, and get them to you either tomorrow evening or Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.