Isolation

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
(This might not be the right place so move or delete as you will)
If you have seen my posts are here then you have seen the novel I am querying focuses on the recovery of a feral child. A child raised in complete isolation for thirteen years. I went from a fantasy/horror novel writer to what people are telling me is a contemporary fiction. There is a reason I started studying feral children, even working on a Masters degree on developmental psychology. When I was last active in this forum, I was in the midst of my own isolation. Not from abuse, but I am in a wheelchair, with a super rare disability (there is one other in the state with it and I have never met them), and lived in a rural area. I couldn't transport my powerchair so I spent five years trapped in a house, with very limited access to other people, I didn't leave the house except maybe a handful of times a year just due to lack of resources. I spent five years like this before I broke mentally, I stopped eating, seeing color, I just sat in a room until my grandmother had me sent to a hospital, after about three months of impatient treatment, I resolved to never let it happen again, I ditched the powerchair went in debt for a manual chair that can be broken down and transported, and debt for a car, I found resources, went from a client at an impatient day program to a volunteer, started volunteering in schools and as a tutor, even worked as a substitute teacher until the disability got in the way. But I still have breakdowns, like if I got stuck inside for weeks due to weather or on the farm when everyone but me left for vacation meaning I was alone for about a mile radius. One of those times I wound back up in a hospital. So, I changed that again and moved into in November, I was just in the process of finding places to volunteer, even about to enter a training program to lead classes for people with chronic illness. It might appear that I do a lot, but I don't belong to anything, I never make friends. I have been working at the same radio station for three years and they 'love' me, but beyond the station I have no relationship with them. I am very aware that I am in a lot of these places because of the disability. Pardon the analogy but when racists deny being racist because they have a friend of the nature, so they can't be -- I am very aware I am that friend. I play into it because I can do a lot of good, but it does make one lonely and the feeling of isolation worse. I have no social media and perhaps two friends I talk to on the phone. So, when the episodes come it is easy to sink because there is no one to stop you. I have been quarantined for three weeks, not because I am sick, but because the chair is to hard to disinfect (you constantly touch the wheels on a manual chair), now our governor has shelter-in-place until June 10th, I don't went to be selfish, but I am terrified of sliding backwards and right now there is no mental health help besides talking to my therapist and case manger on the phone. I feel guilty to be worried about it. But there it is, I found what I love though not the absolute worst, but some terrible years of my life. Now, it is all gone.
I have this query letter and another WIP to occupy me.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would hope you also have us to occupy you, and the vastness that is the internet, with many sites with good people who seek connection. Find sites for whatever interests you have. Observe without joining at first. Consider a new email just for joining those sites, so your real email won't fill with clutter if that's what they do.

I would hope you have books that take you to other worlds with other people who have other problems.

I would hope you have TV or movies to do the same but at a lesser depth.

I would hope the hands that can use a keyboard can also attempt simple crafts with materials likely to be in the house, and that you'll laugh at early failures, because there's always a learning curve. Take a look at Pinterest for craft how-to featuring torn paper and home-made glue, for starters.

And as always, it's the right time to be thinking about the next book.

Maryn, who may attempt a pie today

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
You have us too. :Hug2:

Of course you're worried about it. You've worked really hard to get where you are and to lose all that ground because of something that's out of your control is just awful. Your feelings are completely valid and nothing to feel guilty about.

The good news is that you haven't truly returned to zero. Everything you've built up? It's still there, dormant and waiting to reemerge when we all awaken from this mass hibernation event. What's important is keeping yourself in the best condition possible, both physically and mentally, to jump back into the fray when they sound the all-clear.

How exactly will you do that? I don't know. Everybody is different. One thing I've found really helpful, though, is that a few of my friends started an ongoing group text. There's no particular topic (although Coronavirus is, of course, discussed at length - especially as two of our number currently have it). It's just chatter... but chatter that makes us all feel better, simply by existing and letting us know all is well with the others (at least... mostly well... two of our group have Covid-19). Perhaps you could try to set up something similar with your work friends?

I've been spending a lot of time in my tiny backyard, too. The city is so quiet that I can suddenly hear birdsong everywhere, and I'm getting to recognize the individual lizards on sight. If you have access to an outdoor space, take maximum advantage of it. Garden, play music or sing, do anything that might help fend off the looming cloud of depression (a battle I know well). I know you said your place is rural, so I don't know if you have neighbors within earshot, but if you do, strike up conversations. If not, there are always your animal neighbors to observe.

And keep us posted here, too!

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for replying! I live in an apartment now in an urban area near two major hospital currently we are light on cases, but I expect that to go up. I am going to start breaking down my chair and moving it around to not lose the muscle memory, unfortunately I can't replicate the transition into my car. I am reading a lot, currently 1984, and I had a subscription to a book box, the idea was to expand what I read. I also have my homophobic and slightly racist grandmother to keep me entertained. Though she is getting to me. Also for the first time in my life I have high speed internet, so I watch free movies on Youtube. I also ensure I call the folks from my church who didn't act early enough due to their faith in Trump who was still holding off long after my doctor told me to stop going, so I do worry about them taking it seriously.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You've got us too.

If you've got broadband, you might keep an eye on the Be Excellent forum. Many of us are listing free content, including YouTube and streaming video.