Puppy pickup in the age of Covid

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Back in happier times, I placed a deposit down for a working kelpie puppy from a really nice litter (born on Feb 1). The breeder is in Nevada--about a 2.5 hour drive from my home, and she's been posting videos and pictures on FB and we've agreed on which pup is mine and all that. I've never purchased a puppy before; all my animals have been rescues. But at this point, dogs of the breeds and mixes that work for me are not available in rescue anymore, and I've missed my own kelpie dreadfully since he passed 2 years ago. I've been doing all the research about puppy socialization and training (the trainer uses a method called puppy culture, which produces very emotionally resilient, people-oriented dogs).

Well, a lot has happened since the pups were born, let alone planned and conceived. So the pup will be ready to pick up on April 5. The logistics of driving out to Nevada and doing a pick up have become infinitely more complex and stress laden. I'm coordinating with another person who lives in northern CA and also has a pup from this litter, and just one of us will likely do the pickup and the other will meet that person halfway and pick theirs up, but I'm still feeling anxious about whether or not picking up an animal is an "essential errand" (animal care is considered essential, so it may be within the letter, but is it inside the spirit of the order). I think there is a way to do this that will make the risk of exposure in either direction very minimal--less than a trip to the grocery store, and waiting a month or two--or longer--to pick up the pup will create a lot of issues too.

I also have a cousin in Carson city who wants me to visit and bring puppy. This would have been enough of an issue without Covid-19, because I don't want to expose the pup to situations I don't have control of while he's still in his sensitive period, but with possibly two puppies (one of whom won't be mine) and the whole "limit contact with people outside your own household" order that is in place in CA (but not in Nevada at this point), it's impossible. I don't know if she will understand this, since her own state's directives are much lighter than CA (simply limiting meetings to fewer than 10 people), and there are only a few reported cases so far in her own county.

I also have no idea how to properly socialize the pup from weeks 9-12 of age (the end of his open socialization window) when there is no chance of puppy parties or having neighbor kids over, and carefully taking him to agility class to experience that environment and so on, as I originally planned.

So I'm stressed about something I was so looking forward to! And I feel silly and guilty for stressing about this when I've been really fortunate in this whole catastrophe--being able to work from home, myself and my family healthy so far, and living in a state and city where the earlier shelter in place orders appear to be having a beneficial effect!

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I found this: Socializing Your Puppy While Social Distancing. Some of the tips may be more useful to you than others but I saw several that seem promising.

Thanks!

I do have a sound socialization CD to use, and we figured we'd be wearing different clothes and hats around him. My hubby has a beard, so at least the pup will hopefully be okay with "guys with hats and beards." I jokingly told Doug he could let his nice, well-trimmed goatee become a big, bushy mountain man beard for a while, but that got me a look and a dismissive grunt :p

I'm sad that the really good puppy socialization class, and the puppy foundation workshop (for agility) I was planning to enroll him in aren't going to be available now.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, we went and got him today. Rook, as we will be calling him, was a good little traveler and worked on his stuffed kong toy for a bit, then fell asleep.

He's a pretty good boy so far, aside from a little squeeing when he's not the center of attention. Taking it slow with my other two dogs, as they are interested in but a bit concerned about their new "brother."

xh32IAQR_t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just think how spoiled he's going to be with everyone home.

Thanks everyone! And we're actually going to have to work on his handling being alone for varying periods of time, because us being around all the time is a definite ingredient for separation anxiety once we have to go back to work.

Right now he's a bit bewildered, because he's away from his litter mates for the first time. So far (sigh) my two older dogs are not really sure about him. Austin is refusing to look at him or acknowledge him in any way, while Flick is alternatively intrigued and put off by his barking and rather forward approach to play. He's already getting the idea about going potty when taken outside and not (so far) in the house. His breeder got the litter off to a good start there. Us being around makes potty training easier too.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
He's got that herder stare, or as we like to refer to it, the ocular patdown. I don't know kelpies very well, but it's safe to assume he'll be the kinda dog who gets mad when you go to the bathroom with the door closed.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
He's got that herder stare, or as we like to refer to it, the ocular patdown. I don't know kelpies very well, but it's safe to assume he'll be the kinda dog who gets mad when you go to the bathroom with the door closed.

Indeed. Almost every dog I've had has been at least a herding mix. They do not want you to leave them out of anything!

Austin, pictured below, throws his "holey roller" ball through the bathroom door for me to toss down the hall for him. Austin is 3/4 border collie and 1/4 Australian cattle dog.

F8nTQ2An_t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Austin! Just by looking at his picture, I'm disturbed by how much smarter than me that dog is.

Nate's lazy for a herder (fortunately, because we live in an apartment), but guiding, guarding, and herding is a full time job for him. Any sudden movement, excessive gestures, or physical contact will be met with barking and pummeling. Harsh rules, but it's his home and we just live in it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Austin! Look at the ears on that one! No sense closing doors - he can hear you moving around in there!
As to separation anxiety, if Rook starts hanging with the other dogs, maybe they will reassure him that the people will be back. Or, you can all start hiding in the garage/attic/wherever the dogs can't go, until he gets that you will be back.

Hope the other dogs adjust to the Rookie in their midst. Have to say, I love the mask and the bar along his nose. So neat, so tidy!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loooooove herding dogs. So smart and fun. I just don't have a lifestyle where I can keep one entertained and exercised properly. Idle snouts find trouble when their people are at work!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
aaah. I LOVE dogs. I don't have a pet, so I just say hi to other people's dogs and pet them - but since the Covid, I've stopped :( Could be me leaving it in the dog's fur, or maybe the owners, or the last person to pet it could have left covid on the dog :( So I just tell people 'please give your dog and extra cuddle from me'.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I loooooove herding dogs. So smart and fun. I just don't have a lifestyle where I can keep one entertained and exercised properly. Idle snouts find trouble when their people are at work!

Normally, we have agility classes and occasional trials to keep Austin feeling purposeful. My yard isn't huge, but there's enough space to set up a few obstacles for practice.

This is what I see when I try to watch TV on the living room couch!

Austin does have an off switch, though, and will eventually curl up with me and snooze when I'm feeling more slug like.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard that some people with border collies buy a flock of ducks for them to herd, as buying the dog its own personal flock of sheep is too expensive. How much space to you have? :evil

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard that some people with border collies buy a flock of ducks for them to herd, as buying the dog its own personal flock of sheep is too expensive. How much space to you have? :evil

My partner's brother's dog would round up the cats, when someone rang the doorbell, a part of which display called for doggo to grab the nearest cat and thunder upstairs. The cats, not being too impressed at being covered in dog slobber, apparently quickly got wise and made themselves scarce. Pandemonium whenever anyone rang the bell.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
My partner's brother's dog would round up the cats, when someone rang the doorbell, a part of which display called for doggo to grab the nearest cat and thunder upstairs. The cats, not being too impressed at being covered in dog slobber, apparently quickly got wise and made themselves scarce. Pandemonium whenever anyone rang the bell.
You know there's a reason why 'like herding cats' is proverbial. Apparently this dog hadn't heard that one. Would have gone viral on YouTube, though!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of border collies getting loose and herding both teams at a pee wee soccer game. No hits on YouTube yet, but realistic enough it's probably not urban legend.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they'd probably make great childminders for active kids. If only they could be trained not to nip the slow or recalcitricant ones.