Kinds of Galactic Governments?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Most SF stories about star-spanning governments model them on past governments. Empires are a favorite kind. Communist / soviet style dictatorships are another. Republics made up of several states are another.

Those seemed a bit far fetched to me. The distances between star systems of any stories I wanted to write suggested that any multi-system government had to be pretty loose. I'm a Good Old Suthen Boy so I naturally drew upon the American Confederacy for inspiration when I designed my galactic government.

Speaking of "galactic" I reasoned that the term is a misnomer. My Human Interstellar Confederation occupies one tenth of one of the four spiral arms of our galaxy. Bigger than Niven's Known Space but the same idea.

What other kinds of "galactic" governments might there be?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I gave shout-outs in the 'What We're Reading' thread to the Requiem For Homo Sapiens series by David Zindell. There's no official galactic government, most planets go their own way and there are countless systems not in contact with each other. But the majority of technology (including FTL travel) and all science is the sole property of the Order of Mystic Mathematicians and Other Seekers of the Ineffable Flame. They're sort of a combination of trade association, college, and mystery cult, and draw inspiration from none other than Herman Hesse's Glass Bead Game. There's no actual authority or governace involved, but anyone who wants to travel through space at all has to deal with them, and all scientific inquiry is pursued through their methods. So they're the default rulers of the galaxy, and no one will dare to cross them.

I always thought most forms of united space governments would work in some form like that, whatever their governing ethic. Something to the tune of 'You get to control everything within your atmosphere, we get to control everything outside of it'.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'd think available tech would dictate what kinds of governments are even possible across large distances. You can't govern what you can't reach, or at least communicate with, after all... and it would have to be economically feasible. Without some sort of Macguffin/handwave tech, you're probably going to be limited to fairly small (on galactic terms) governments that might form alliances or rivalries with neighbors, but the vastness of the void would likely preclude any true multisystem rule/government.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I will point out that historically “Confederate” style governments have failed spectacularly. From the Holy Roman Empire to the pre-Constitution US to the Southern Confederacy (which had the bonus of basing its economy of the horrific exploitation of slave labor). Not saying you can’t use it as a basis for a story. Weak, chaotic governments have loads of conflict and story potential.

I also believe you can have any sort of government as long as the travel/communications technology support it. Empire, republic, city-states. It’s all interesting and potentially viable, imho. Whatever supports the story

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The government in London managed to rule the British Empire before the invention of the telegraph with governors/viceroys and slow communication by sailing ship.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on technology in your universe. Say if there is no ansible-type communication technology, any direct control from a part of the government to another 'community' 20,000 light years away will be a joke. So maybe some sort of nominal governance. A state on the planet zxcvy-123 may adopt the powerful government on the planet qwer-321 as their lord government and will send one cybercoin as annual taxation but 'leave me alone otherwise.'

OTOH, if communication and travel are instantaneous, you can even revive and modernize the Roman Empire/Republic or Babylonia.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'd recommend looking into the political portions of the Battletech series. It's an incredibly diverse galactic system with multiple governments in charge of various planets in their sectors.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking into the political portions of the Battletech series. It's an incredibly diverse galactic system with multiple governments in charge of various planets in their sectors.

Yeah, they really had a bit of everything. There were idealistic constitutional monarchies, authoritarian shogunates, powerful, insidious techno-cults, and unstoppable barbarian raiders. And all have an incredible amount of backstory, plausible histories, and tons of nuance.