April 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research, or even just the everyday stuff you need to keep up with to support your writing.)

The idea is that repeating something daily will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
  • Try to do a little every day – even if it's just writing a sentence or two. It reinforces the habit of sitting down to write and makes it easier to get keep it up in the long run.
  • Be adaptive – You'll always be facing new challenges, and what works for someone else doesn't always work for you. What worked for you last week might not work this week. Try different types of goals, different times of the day, and different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, today.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and progress happens in tiny increments; you won't always notice it day by day, or even week by week.
  • Failure is a part of the process – Failure is a natural part of improving your skills. It lets you figure out what went wrong so you can do better in the future. When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar).

Remember: if you share your experiences in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days off. Find what works for you.

Good luck, and see you April 1st! :D

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Thanks, Mag!

My goals are SOSO.

1. Finish Dress Her In Chameleon.
2. Continue A Deadly Spill of Scarlet.
3. Write another Growing Up Buford blog article.
4. Do whatever it takes to tamp my depression down enough to write.
5. Do not contract Covid 19.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Well goshamighty, it's that time again

Writing + Life =

WIP - add words to my WIP
R/SC - one action of responsibility or self-care
BP/$$ - 'Big Project and Prosperity' - one action to be solvent or increase my prosperity, or one action of improving where I live (mostly Konmari but a few other things too)

I'll allow myself 1 skip day per week in each category.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just keep on swimming.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Count me in:

Goals:
1. Finalize query letter
2. Write Synopsis
3. Pickup drafting of Book 2

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Ha, Cindyt! Yeah, I'll nick your last goal too.

This is my favourite month, obvs. My goals are: finish my wee novella and start editing, publish book 1 of my new series (just waiting on cover designer), and revise book 2 so I can send it off to my CP.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll just write a bloody book.

:)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I have few goals right now, so far as writing is concerned: continue the new WIP, write a chapter each week if possible and then edit it while my brain percolates on how to tackle the next one. Daily word count? Anything, so long as something gets on paper. My dog got spayed and is now wearing the cone of shame for a week, so this is going to make things a bit more awkward. Can't even take her on walks for the moment and that was the one way we can get out of the house. Oh well. Good thing I've got plenty of books to read.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Also having trouble with the drafting here. I suspect last night's wine is to blame.

Still, managed 695 words (=one messy mini-scene) and with yesterday's progress am on track as April gets underway.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor - Yeah, I'm generally going one bite at a time at the moment - plan a couple of chapters, write them, have a rest and onto the next two.
April - woops!
Patty - 695 is good. My mini scenes tend need stapling to something bigger, and they don't fit.

I just gave up for the day. 2025 words written on Fishy Tail. The first half was relatively easy, the other a real slog. Kaylee got let out of her locked room, and was told everything that she didn't know before. After that, they get her to help find a certain important missing person. Her watery talents will be in demand.

I may have a saggy middle here, alas. But information must be put across.

non-writing

Does eating count?

keep swimming!

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
-- April, it’s still a way better start to the month than a blank page
-- Patty, congrats on the 695
-- Nice, Keithy!

Day 1

WIP - 5000 words! Nah just kidding. April Fools :D :D — it was a one sentence day for me. But it was a good sentence ;)
R/SC - finished painting the room. I have one more step to fix up the chalkboard wall (you have to prime it after it cures…)
BP/$$ - earning service

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
722 words. I guess there was a reason I put writing these mini-scenes off, last month, because I'm just not caring about them. But the story needs them and they're getting drafted. Good enough.

Congrats Keithy, Layla (a good sentence is a good sentence, after all), Taylor. And Cindy, I hope the new mouse and tech arrives raring to go.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m sorry about being absent for the last month.

Between yesterday and today I’ve managed about 500 words.

In other news found out my coworkers wife works for a small publishing company and she wants to look at what I’ve written.
Kinda nervous but hopefully this is the start of something good.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ach Cindy! I hope that gets sorted out soon!
Nice work, Taylor
Congrats on the 722, Patty
Hello blake!

Day 2

WIP - 1/2 page!
R/SC — grocery shopping, and an early bedtime
BP/$$ - earning service

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a driveby today.

Everyone - well done for every word done.

I've been tired all day so only did 346 words. It's the first part of a scene where Kaylee and a bunch of federal agents go on a raid. I'm thinking she'll get injured, possibly poisoned with interesting consequences.

non writing

Another bout of food shopping, this time for us.
I'm feeling quite nervous about shopping now. What are we bringing into the house? :(

keep swimming!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 2

Word Count 2277

Research - Pancake hats and use of hat pins.

Layla - Nice ½ page! It’s all cleared up now. Got a new mouse for the desktop and the lappy started behaving.

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Nice work, Taylor!

Cindyt: Excellent effort again. Now, you say pancake hat, I think: pancake on head. Am I wrong?

Keithy: God, ah know. I think it’s safe to assume that every surface in the shops is one big coronaparty :/

Layla: 1/2 page! Early bedtime sounds wonderful.

Wrote 2k and revised a chapter. The final scene is really ropey … I think this particular chapter will go through heavy revisions in the coming drafts. Joy!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm on board! I'm about a third through a first draft of the first novel in an Urban Fantasy trilogy. I've been holding steady at about 1100 words a day. My mojo has been seriously damaged with the Covid madness, so this makes me happy. *(My normal daily goal was 2000 words a day).

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Cindyt - oh, 2277 is a lot of words, worthy of copious hat doffings.
April - same as Cindy (that's lazy, sorry)
greendragon - welcome aboard to our merry ship!

Today's effort on Fishy Tail was 1213 words - somewhat better than yesterday's. Kaylee managed to capture a bad guy, but not before he stuck her with a poisoned barb. It sends her into convulsions and she's being taken to hospital. She's unable to switch her tail for her legs, which will raise some interesting questions when she arrives.

non-writing:

Sleeping.
More sleeping.
Wondering what to do with Easter eggs bought for nephews. (Eat them, perhaps?)

keep swimming! :)