Pugs, Teaching, and Acting Oh My!

Wariforever14

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm not new to forums, and I've been part of roleplaying forums for a little while now, forums that unfortunately no longer exist. I'm a fourth grade teacher in the United States and, since I'm now finding myself at home most days, I actually have time to write!

As the title suggests, those are just a few things I love! I've always had animals (horses, dogs, cats, you name it). When my husband and I moved into our house, we knew we needed some furry friends. I'd never had little dogs before, but his dream dog was a pug, so I compromised.

And fell in love.

So now we have two pugs (Samwell and Gilly, points if you get the name reference) and a cat (Kyo, more points if you get his name).

My husband and I both are avid actors and always have been (we are currently in Shrek the Musical, now postponed until...???) and I really think this love of acting helps with my writing! I'm able to get into my characters.

I LOVE historical fiction. Michelle Moran is one of my favorite authors and inspiration. I also very much love fantasy, though find world building difficult.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forums! :hi: I'm Kat. I teach second grade. Well, I used to teach second grade, then we had a global pandemic and now I'm a fourth-rate YouTuber. How are you holding up?

So are you writing fantasy, historical, or both? What period/place of historical do you like? (I like historical fiction as well.)

This is a wonderful forum and I'm glad you could join us. Enjoy! :)

Wariforever14

Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited to be here!! Aww I love second! If I wasn't teaching fourth- or, you know, in a global pandemic...- I would teach second or Kinder! How long have you been teaching?

I'd say it's a bit of both? Or more like...gosh. Okay. It's hard to describe. Historical in that it takes place in the 1940's. I'd say it's more sci-fi than fantasy, though. There's no magic.

But I'd LOVE to write historical fiction and fantasy someday.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Wariforever. Former teacher here, too, but long retired, so staying home isn't as foreign.

However, some things are strange and different in these times: Yesterday, our doorbell rang (and flashed inside strobes for me :e2photo:) and on our porch sat a pot of flowers for Kay and a pack of alcohol wipes to sanitize the gift. The givers waved from their car, and we signed :ty: from a distance. :greenie

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited to be here!! Aww I love second! If I wasn't teaching fourth- or, you know, in a global pandemic...- I would teach second or Kinder! How long have you been teaching?

I'd say it's a bit of both? Or more like...gosh. Okay. It's hard to describe. Historical in that it takes place in the 1940's. I'd say it's more sci-fi than fantasy, though. There's no magic.

But I'd LOVE to write historical fiction and fantasy someday.

Five years this year, so I'm a spring chicken. How about you? Public, charter, private?

Historical that takes place in the 1940s . . . ooh, there's a book you might enjoy. Fantasy + World War II. A Green and Ancient Light by Fred Durbin.

Wariforever14

Registered
Reaction score
Five years this year, so I'm a spring chicken. How about you? Public, charter, private?

Historical that takes place in the 1940s . . . ooh, there's a book you might enjoy. Fantasy + World War II. A Green and Ancient Light by Fred Durbin.

Ooooohh I definitely need to check that out!! I LOVE reading anything having to do with WWII (I took a class on it when I studied abroad, it was fascinating!). Also, I must be a new chick then because I'm only in my 3rd year!!

:welcome:, Wariforever. Former teacher here, too, but long retired, so staying home isn't as foreign.

However, some things are strange and different in these times: Yesterday, our doorbell rang (and flashed inside strobes for me :e2photo:) and on our porch sat a pot of flowers for Kay and a pack of alcohol wipes to sanitize the gift. The givers waved from their car, and we signed :ty: from a distance. :greenie

Oooohh that's so sweet! Our neighborhood is doing a ton of chalk art so whenever we go outside there's new artwork to work at.

Last edited: