• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta/swap for 89k sci-fi/historical fiction about time travelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
***UPDATE***
I have enough beta/swaps for now. Thank you, everyone!

I sent my manuscript to two beta readers just before the coronavirus thing hit the fan. Now they're both too busy dealing with the crisis to look at it. So I'm hoping someone out there is stuck at home and bored enough to read my manuscript. And I am perfectly willing to swap since I'm also stuck at home and bored (even though I'm still working).

Here are the details of my novel.
Genre: sci-fi/historical fiction
Themes: time travel, oppression, racism/genocide
Tone and content: Pretty dark but there are some lighthearted moments; contains violence and swearing
POV: 3rd-person objective (i.e. not in any character's head, and there's a reason for that)
Word count: 88,700
Brief description I just wrote on the fly so it's nowhere near perfect:
Time-traveling historian Dan Markowitz works for a government agency that solves modern-day problems by studying their roots in the past. Through his work, he has grown accustomed to the idea of correcting history's wrongs. But he takes that idea too far when he saves a feudal serf from being lynched for a murder she did not commit. Now Dan has illegally altered the past, and his agency's security forces are after both him and the serf with the intention of sending him to prison and sending her off to die. To escape, Dan and the serf flee through time. But neither of them knows to what degree the past has changed, and they certainly aren't prepared for the dangers that await them there.

Beta reader/swap partner:
I'd prefer my beta readers/swap partners to be established members of these forums (at least 50 posts) just so I know you have a stake in this community and are reliable. And if you do decide to beta read for me but find, after a chapter or two, that the story just isn't for you or you suddenly don't have time to look at it anymore, let me know so I can find someone else. Please don't leave me waiting for a response that will never come.

What kind of feedback I'm looking for:
Be as detailed as you want to be. I'm really interested in knowing anytime something is awkward or throws you out of the story for any reason, especially if something is too vague or so explain-y that it disrupts the natural flow. Also, any logistical issues you may spot, I want to know about them as well.

What I'm willing to beta read:
If you just want to read and not swap, that's fine. But if you do want to swap, I'm willing to read anything of a similar length (up to 100k) in pretty much any genre except romance and erotica. Literary fiction and contemporary fiction are also iffy with me. It just depends on the premise of the story. Also, please don't send me anything in omniscient POV. I can't stand being in every character's head and it would affect my ability to provide useful feedback. All that said, my preferred genres are adventure, sci-fi, horror, mystery, war, fantasy, historical, crime, thriller, comedy, and nonfiction (depending on the subject matter). I usually give very honest and detailed feedback but can tone down the bluntness and the level of detail if you ask me to.

Okay, I think I've covered everything. PM me if interested.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.