• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Finding good surnames

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
I friggin hate surnames. In my fantasy novel the mages don't have surnames, while humans do. One because I am lazy and two it is a 'show not tell' way of identifying the mages.

In the novel I am querying for one character has the surname that means 'crow/raven' and if you know that, then it is a direct clue of who the killer is since drawings of crows pop up at each crime. Or Psyche being named after the goddess of the soul because it is ironic they are trying to determine if this feral child can even be human. In defense, it is not the character's true name, but the one they gave her to protect her identity.

The fun way of finding last names, I like to watch credits of movies, and copy down names I like. I used to drive myself nuts picking names that meant something, but I gave up. I hated being stuck in the parameters of what the name means. Why did I change Karyen to Karyn because it is always tagged as not being spelled right. Why is her last name Lee, because I never thought of anything better.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I suggest not letting the search for a name hold back your writing. In my current work, I changed the name of the FMC after the first draft was done... her name sounded too similar to my partner's, and FMC turned out to be a bit of a witch with a 'b' if you get my meeting.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Btdubs, gonna go against the grain slightly and say that I rather enjoy meaningful names, at least when they're setting-appropriate and not too on the nose. Helps that I write SFF usually in settings that have nothing to do with IRL, and I can make up the naming rules as it suits me. Different if you were writing, say, a modern day or historical romance novel and the MCs are named 'Dirk Swolthew' and "Purity Wantstoexperiment'. Tho those are both great names and I encourage everyone to use them.

In my current setting, everyone's given (or chosen) names are structured more like screen names, and you usually get to pick them yourself. So my MC's name in Moonbird and she's both kind quirky and travels around a lot. There's a character named Laughing Wolf who uses humor to mask his predatory instincts, another named Snaketongue who's a mucho liar. I even went a little far with it and named the main villain Loki. No clue if it works or not, but I think there are times you can get away with it and times you can't. I wouldn't be as interested if I had to think up names like 'Carthindriel' or 'Grugnax', but that can work too in the right setting.

Last edited:

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
In my current setting, everyone's given (or chosen) names are structured more like screen names, and you usually get to pick them yourself.

I like this. Unlike the convention where the parents name the character (you know what I mean), the character's name would reflect their personality in some way.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do you find good last names for your characters?

I use a notebook and a pen. When I think of a good name, I write it down. When I use it, I cross it out. The book goes back 40 years or so.

Jeff

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
I support your use of meaningful character names. Don't drop the idea because some people don't like it, do what's best for your manuscript.

behindthenames.com might be helpful for you.

drawrite

Forever a Newbie
Registered
Reaction score
I would agree to definitely try to do a quick search engine comb if you have a name in mind. But at the same time, it's hard to avoid; usually the more detailed you get, the more you'll end up sharing names with someone.
I suppose that's why fantasy writing with made up terms and names might be a way to get around this. Even so, if you're writing in a real world setting, on Earth (or an alternate one), you're probably going to end up with a real life match.
Also read an article on a website once, that said be careful with how you treat villains with full names too, but I often feel if you worry too much you won't get started. If you do get widespread famous though, there will always be some poor guy to bully for having the same name as "Bob the Stabby-Stab Man" or whatever.

I friggin hate surnames. In my fantasy novel the mages don't have surnames, while humans do. One because I am lazy and two it is a 'show not tell' way of identifying the mages.

I'm in the same boat. All the divine or higher magical beings usually don't have full names, or have fake names when they're among humans. I'm a fan of the whole title thing too: The Great, The Unchallenged, The Mesmerizing...Stuff like that. Works well for knights and fancy Medieval setting things.