Independent Bookstores that Are Shipping Books during Coronavirus

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Thought I'd share a little good news in this thread. Powell's Books (mentioned upthread) has had so many orders, they've rehired 100 of the employees they'd previously laid off to fill online orders.

Powell's CEO Emily Powell said in a community message "Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for your incredible and unwavering support. Your kind words, messages of encouragement, ideas for perseverance, and orders for books have taken our breath away.

Powell said that orders may be slow as they take the necessary precautions to keep everyone healthy.

Powell's also said that while they don't know what the future holds, they will keep fulfilling orders and keep their booksellers employed and on health insurance.

Go, readers, go! Keep supporting indies!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The Curious Bookshop and/or The Archives in East Lansing.

We are still taking online orders and shipping packages. There have been some minor delays, but nothing newsworthy so far. As things go on, delays may become longer due to factors beyond our control, but that's the new normal, at least for now.

Curious Book Shop is a used and rare book store located in downtown East Lansing. Originally started in a basement in 1969, the store has since expanded to three floors of over 50,000 well-organized books, magazines, and other paper items.

We take great pride in supplying books to the community - everything from recent paperbacks to scarce antiquarian titles. Our staff members are knowledgeable and dedicated to good customer service. Shop specialties are science fiction, mystery, children's books, Michigan history, sports memorabilia, and old magazines of every variety. We invite you to stop by and browse.

They've started a GoFundMe to help their employees make ends meet during this time. Ray Walsh, the owner/operator, is a great guy and Sal, a bookseller at Curious, is an amazing young man with a bright future.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-curious-and-archives-book-shops

See also Archives:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Bookstore/Archives-Book-Shop-117683538258818/

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oblong Books
Millerton and Rhinebeck NY
Books, puzzles, music
This is a bookstore that still does hand-selling; they know their books
https://www.oblongbooks.com

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
This is an old thread and I could start a new one, (I'm wide open to advice and a slap), but this news article caught my eye and I thought it made sense to add it here.

The Bank of Books in Ventura, which is where I recently had a signing, is having its rent hiked up. They may need to close shop. They have a new branch in Santa Paula, but I thought I'd link the article for anyone who feels like helping out a struggling bookseller.

Reactions: Sophia