Chickens, Please Stop Dying So Soon (RIP Zoey, 2014-2020)

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
As if all the anxiety about the pandemic wasn't bad enough, I've got another thing to worry about. Last year two my chicken-nieces, Annie and Chick, died. Now Zoey is starting to show some of the same symptoms they had. One sister says she didn't even come out for mealworms last night. Another sister confirms that she was just hanging around the nestboxes, like Chick did before she died. Zoey did come out later this morning, but every time she stands still, I get scared. I don't need this! This is a horrible time for a pet to die. We're all on edge already over Covid-19, and I still feel bad about Chick. We're low on money, too, so I don't know if we could pay for medical treatment for Zoey, even if there was something that could be done. And if she does die, then what? We might be able to afford to have her cremated and put in a nice little wood box like Annie and Chick, but with the pandemic, will that be possible? What if Arizona goes on lockdown before we get her ashes back? Or if the pet crematorium is shut down? What if 2 of the girls die? What happens to the Last Hen Standing? The answer, unfortunately, isn't to get more chickens. Mom put her foot down on that idea, and I understand where she's coming from. Chicken are expensive to care for, we're not getting any younger or healthier, and we can't count on my nephews (who really want us to get more) to take up the slack. (Plus, I don't think we can trust the dogs to behave around chicks.) I know it's not greatest thing in the world to worry about now, but I'm still worried.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any advice, only some hugs because chickens are lovely and it is very sad when they die. Poor little things.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the hug, mccardey. Fortunately, Zoey is doing much better now. Apparently she just had a touch of constipation and is now eating like a champ, especially the treats. :yessmiley

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh :( My little old girl just died. :cry: She was the one who didn't identify as a chicken, who spent her life protecting the hens. I will miss her. She was one of my first clutch - and she was lovely.

RIP, my darling old girl. Oh, I loved you.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:cry:

What do they die from? How long do chickens live?

I think they just die. They live for about seven years, but this old girl had congestive heart failure. The vet had said he could stent her, but she'd be unlikely to survive the stress of the op (chooks don't look sick till they're nearly dead because of the pecking order.) He also said since she was already seven, yanno.... to bring her back if she stopped eating or dust-bathing.

She was sitting on my knee this morning and telling me about god-knows what. And now she's dead. My little darling. She was a good kid. I loved her to bits.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh :( My little old girl just died. :cry: She was the one who didn't identify as a chicken, who spent her life protecting the hens. I will miss her. She was one of my first clutch - and she was lovely.

Oh, man. It's never a good time to lose a pet, but right now is probably the worst.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

:cry: Poor girl. I feel sad with you.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
AZ, could they be getting into something they shouldn't be coming into contact with. My mother had house fenches who reproduced and were doing just dandy until she put a covering of pine needles on the bottom of their cage, and that was it. I know fenches aren't chickens, but still they could be coming in contact with something.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Zoey was found dead in the coop this morning. She probably died of the same basic thing as Annie and Chick; oldish age and infection caused by an egg in the wrong part of the body. (We aren't getting a necropsy this time, but it's a reasonable guess.) She, too, will be cremated and put in a nice box.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your condolences. Zoey's ashes came back a few weeks ago in a little cedar box; appropriate for a Rhode Island red.

Mel and Silvie seem to be doing okay, though I'm really nervous whenever they do something abnormal. For instance, I had to be reassured last week that Mel panting heavier than Silvie wasn't a sign that Mel was next, but rather a sign to give them frozen peas. They ate them with gusto.

I'm not sure who's head of the pecking order now that Zoey's gone. I'm not even sure there's a pecking order anymore. No fighting, no posturing. It's almost like "you and me against the world, so let's be BFFs and enjoy free room and board together, okay?"

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It was hot, and frozen peas are one way we cool down the girls. They love 'em. They also have a pan of water to dip their feet in, but they'd rather drink out of it. We also put a block of ice in their real drinking water. When it's really hot we spray them gently with the hose; they don't like that at all.