• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

How do I let my brain refresh?

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I've stalled in my novel planning. I know what kind of idea I need to make work; I just have a few holes in it. I need to take a break, I think - get a fresh take on it after the froth in my brain has settled. I keep trying to step away, but my brain keeps running back to the project and hammering itself against the block. How do I get my attention to shut up and take a break?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Do something else that takes mental focus or attention. Here's some things I've done:

Count the number of slats in your blinds
Go for a run, do yoga or other exercise
Play with your pet(s)
Close your eyes and listen to a favorite song
I make zipper pulls with paracord and keyrings, but some other idle hobby that keeps your hands busy like knitting, needlepoint, or whatever

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Jason's idea of some kind of handwork - something that you have to think about, to keep your mind off fretting. Knit, crochet, origami, whittle, etc. If it weren't for the current Covid mess, I'd suggest a nice long walk, but let's skip that, unless there's a private space nearby.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
You have to give yourself permission to rest and remember that rest is just as important if not more than writing. Whenever I come back from a break, my creativity is on adrenaline, my mind is crisp, and my outlook is more positive. I used to be a write-a-holic who refused to take breaks. I'd jump from one book to the next and guess what happened? I got burned out and stressed more and more. It wasn't until I realized I needed to give myself a break, that things got easier. Your brain is an organ too and needs rest to function properly especially concerning creativity. So go rest and give your brain a much-needed break. :sleepy:

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Try the reward system. What do you enjoy doing daily? Do you have a favorite snack or TV show you love to watch? Make a deal with yourself that you won't do ANY of that unless you allow yourself some rest. Just like the reward system can work to motivate us to write, it can work with almost anything else. Vow not to allow yourself to partake in that reward until you've let yourself get some rest each day. I'd suggest taking a week or more away from writing but if that's too hard for you to do then incorporate two hours or so a day just to rest. Step away from the computer and don't even get online until you've rested. Watch TV, exercise, go for a walk. I would say go to your favorite hangout but that's probably not possible now. But you get the idea.

Isn't it something? Only writers have to bribe ourselves to rest. We always feel guilty for taking breaks but that's often exactly what we need.

VRanger

Registered
Reaction score
the South. Faulkner would be my inspriation if I'd
From only my own experience, I'm not sure you need a break. Possibly you need a different idea. In my first novel, I reached an absolute stuck point at the end of my 12th chapter. I kept thinking how to proceed from the situation I'd written to end that chapter. I never liked the continuations, and I didn't continue for a very long time.

Eventually I figured out my problem was not how to continue, but what I'd already written. I really didn't like it. I blew away the crisis I'd ended that chapter with, and wrote a different crisis that I was happy to solve. LOL Writing part-time, I finished the novel in a matter of a few months. It had taken me, literally, years to get to chapter 12.

I had written the first 12 chapters completely as stream. I went ahead and outlined the last eight. As it turned out, I only followed that outline only in very broad terms, but anytime I got stuck for an idea after that, I found one in the outline, whether the rest of the story followed that outline or not. (And as it turned out, the rest of the book diverged from that outline by a LOT).

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I recommend a spot of market research.

Settle down with a good book for a while.

Also, I find a nice warm shower does wonders for my stiff joints and aching limbs, and it also seems to help in watering new ideas, too. I have lost track of the number of times I stare at my shampoo bottle, while mulling over a new idea that has popped into my mind.

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Writing is an entirely (well, unless you count flapping your fingers) mental activity. This probably doesn't work for everyone, but I've found using the other parts of your brain really helps. Do something physical. Go for a run or walk. Do a few pushups. Go outside, observing social distancing rules of course. Use your body and let your brain rest. When you fire it up again, it'll be refreshed and sharp.

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on the person but I tend to do a week or more "re-fresh" to totally let my brain ease out.

1) I avoid writing forums that get me thinking about writing as it always leads back to my current problem. That's why sometimes I have large spats of time not active on here. I find the brain space helps
2) I read. Usually something totally different to what I'm attempting to write
3) I do physical exercise. Go for walks, catch up on my social life that often gets neglected
4) catch up on mundane tasks like house work and laundry.
5) Mental Stimulation. I watch documentaries and movies. I research a topic that interests me. I play games.

Hope this helped you

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
It's a dangerous tact, but short stories are wonderful ways to break. The danger comes in the unintended creation of a million projects and no direction. Of course you can also jump over to SYW and write a prompt that is less than a short story, but great for flexing your writing muscles.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
When I need a break from writing, I find that reading and watching films/TV is good. The way I see it, writing is me producing stories. Reading books and watching films and TV is me consuming stories. You can't be in production mode all the time and not hit roadblocks. However switching from production to consumption mode for a bit - with no pressure to do anything except enjoy the book/film/TV series* - is good for both having a break and coming up with new ideas once you get back into production mode.

*you don't even need to enjoy it but if you're not enjoying it, switch to something you will enjoy

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when I have a writer’s block I find it helpful to watch a show or read a book or listen to music that really astounds me and gets me inspired. Then thoughts about that show/book/music swirls in my head, taking up the space from my writing for a bit. It also reminds me why I like writing so much and kind of calms me down.