Scientist for Sci Fi

booksnbrains

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been a fantasy and sci fi reader my entire life and I've been writing nearly as long. I've got nothing published and I'm terrible at finishing things, so those are the skills on which I'm currently working.

I'm a biology professor with a background in biomedical research (specifically neurophysiology). I run marathons (when they're not cancelled), take my three kids hiking (when they'll let me), and love camping.

I'm interested in making new writing connections and friends, as well as some accountability.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome:

We have a hard science fiction writer on the AbsoluteWrite Discord channel you may want to stop in and chat with. He's in Washington state, USA, and often on at night and the weekends. His name on the channel is Dave.C.Robinson. He writes 30's era inspired pulp fiction.

To connect to the Discord server: http://www.zanzjan.net/writing/awchat.html

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, Booksnbrains. I'm an ex-college prof (English), and know that although you may not have finished some stories, you have to be a habitual finisher to get your degrees and position.

Maybe now's the time to fall back on old habits and get a WiP or two to The End. :greenie

I'm currently finishing a mystery sequel featuring the silent world of sign language, then back to sci-fi.

:welcome:!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hi there! :hi:

There are accountability threads all over the boards. I frequent a monthly one over in Mystery/Thrillers/Suspense, even though I write SF - we take all genres in those threads. Sometimes we go quiet when we're busy, but we're a nice bunch. :)

Welcome to the boards!

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm a PhD-level molecular geneticist, and I've been involved in a number of research avenues. Have also taught sporadically at local colleges and in the CSU system--teaching takes a lot out of me and I doff my hat to those like you who make a career of it. Thank you for teaching!!

I'm mostly home the last couple years writing climate fiction (aka fiction to highlight the seriousness of climate change and climate science.) I'm writing science fiction/fantasy of a sort, genetic engineering on a colonized world and so on, with as much real science as I can cram in. :)

It's nice to meet you. There are a few other biology professors around here, and some health care professionals.

Last thing--if you are looking to get feedback on excerpts, AW is a useful website, but I'd also suggest to look on meetup.com for local writing groups. Here in southern California there are a good number of writer groups, and the person-to-person (virtual ATM, obviously, but until recently in-person) is hugely valuable for networking and finding good long term writing friends.

Last edited:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com

We have a hard science fiction writer on the AbsoluteWrite Discord channel you may want to stop in and chat with. He's in Washington state, USA, and often on at night and the weekends. His name on the channel is Dave.C.Robinson. He writes 30's era inspired pulp fiction.

Just had to jump in to correct a misconception as well as offer a welcome to the forums.

Much as I enjoy reading hard science fiction, it's very much NOT what I write. I do pulp adventures built on a foundation of pure handwavium; more "High Pseudoscience" than anything close to reality.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

booksnbrains

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, all!
I'm looking forward to finding other writers with a science background. I'm always looking for sci fi that gets the 'sci' right.
Thanks for the recommendations about in-person groups. I live in rural Oregon, but it would be interesting to see if I could find any around here. I may even try the Discord server - my gamer kid could probably help me get set up.
I'm definitely looking for an accountability thread. I'm taking my abortive spring break to explore and see what I can find.

Last edited:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Thanks for the welcome, all!
I'm looking forward to finding other writers with a science background. I'm always looking for sci fi that gets the 'sci' right.
Thanks for the recommendations about in-person groups. I live in rural Oregon, but it would be interesting to see if I could find any around here. I may even try the Discord server - my gamer kid could probably help me get set up.
I'm definitely looking for an accountability thread. I'm taking my abortive spring break to explore and see what I can find.

For what it's worth, one of the other writers in the Discord server also lives in Oregon, and there are a few with a science background to one degree or another. Come on in, the water's fine and I didn't even need my teenage daughter to set up Discord for me.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Also, there is an active Science Fiction & Fantasy forum right here on AW, with a Science Fact subchannel for all the crunchy sciencey goodness.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
writerblalley.wixsite.com

What am I, chopped liver?

Just kidding. I stumbled on this forum today only to realize I had joined it in 2015 but never participated. Weird. I don't write based on a particular era, but my work has been likened to Campbel-era science fiction, which is very flattering since it's a favorite of mine as a reader.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
writerblalley.wixsite.com
I'm mostly home the last couple years writing climate fiction (aka fiction to highlight the seriousness of climate change and climate science.) I'm writing science fiction/fantasy of a sort, genetic engineering on a colonized world and so on, with as much real science as I can cram in. :)

Interesting. My first novel involves the use of engineered microbiology and plants to effect climate change for a specific purpose. The solution subverts environmentalist efforts, but it's all in good fun.