• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Companion Permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
So I don’t know if this is where I ask this, but do you need permission to write a companion even if you’re the telling the story from a different perspective with different characters, and not mentioning characters from the original story?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I don’t know if this is where I ask this, but do you need permission to write a companion even if you’re the telling the story from a different perspective with different characters, and not mentioning characters from the original story?

Are you talking about fanfic?

The short answer is you can write anything you want, but if you want to sell it, talk to a lawyer.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

Are you talking about a person, or a book someone else wrote?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like fanfiction. I thought at first the OP was talking Doctor Who, but I realize they're probably asking about a "companion novel."

You can write all the fanfiction you want (you cannot bring it here, however), and there are websites that support the publishing of it (Archive of Our Own, for example).

The only way to trade publish a story in someone else's universe is to get permission from the right's holder and be asked to write it. So a successful YA author might be asked to write a story about a teenage Jedi who never met the characters of Star Wars, and that's called a tie-in novel. But if you're not asked, you can't make money off it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You need permission to publish anything that is derivative (derived from, or based on) a work covered by copyright, with very narrow exceptions that have to be granted by the courts.

You can't post anything here that is fan fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.