Looking for new adult recommendations

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the genre. I think I may have read one book, and I even forget what it was called. But I'm about to write a fantasy book set in ~2019 (none of this COVID stuff mucking up the world xD) with a very important romantic relationship in it, and I need to understand how to write it. One of the two leads is a sorcerer discovering what is basically free-form magic after being raised to follow a magical tradition based on long incantations and rituals; the other, a reincarnation of the Gnostic Godhead's female aspect and personification of wisdom, as well as an artist trying to find herself, soul ever yearning for an ineffable something beyond typical human understanding.

What should I read? >.<'

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I would be looking at adult fantasy romance, as the "new adult" label is really only used for contemporary romances, and publishers would prefer to market the story as either YA or regular adult fiction.

Is the book going to be a genre romance or urban fantasy with romantic elements? I haven't read much recently, but this list of adult urban fantasy books might be a place to start (ignore the idiots who added Harry Potter and Twilight to the list!). IIRC Jeaniene Frost's books have a new adult-aged heroine.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
My concept is an urban fantasy with romantic elements. Thanks!