• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Feedback Addiction - Break it or work with it?

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
So I had a bit of an epiphany a while back about my writing, and while it didn't really fix the problem I have, it at least gave clear context as to why I have it in the first place.

I've been a writer since about third or fourth grade, but I didn't really expand into writing longer-form fiction with plot, subtext, original characters, dialogue and the like until I was in my college years. I was interested in a particular fandom, and was invited by a friend to join a LiveJournal RP community. For those unfamiliar, the basic premise was that every player created an online journal to represent their original or canon character in the universe, and would 'play' by starting a single journal entry and adding comments, playing off of everyone else's reactions and words to create a (more or less) comprehensible stretch of writing. At its height, I could have multiple scenes ongoing, and have dozens of comments to respond back to in a day. It lasted for about three years before many of us went our own ways, but the experience was a fantastic immersion for me, an ongoing workshop in character voice, in shifting from dialogue to action, in adapting quickly to someone else's plot twists... everything.

However, I now see that it's also the source of one of my biggest weaknesses now that I'm writing solo. I'm now addicted to that immediate sort of feedback, of commentary, and it's at the point where I've been stalled on more than one major project for months. I'm not at the point where I think I'd feel comfortable handing any of them over to a beta-reader as all of them are only about 20-25% written, but I've stalled out in writing anything. Not to mention the last time I tried an official beta-reader, they stalled out and stopped responding about 2/3 the way through the MS. Multiple times I've tried sharing a few recent chapters with friends who read the same genre and writing friends whose opinions I value, just to check for readability and general positive/negative response, only to be universally met with crushing silence; I've heard nothing back from the most recent one (but only on that topic) for over a year. I'm feeling like I'm crippled for not knowing an answer to 'is this good?'; if it is, I can continue, and if it isn't, then at least I know I should rip it up and start again.

I've tried writing for myself (fizzled). I've tried writing something I would want to read (and now I've stopped reading for fun for months). I've tried staring at where I've left off for actual hours, and I cannot physically type any decent sentence to continue any one of seven different chapters, even if I've already sketched out the plot. I have ideas, I just don't know whether they're good or bad, so I don't know how to use them.

So. Is it worth it for me to just roll with this weakness and try to seek out a committed writing partner from scratch, or has anyone else suffered through this same problem and found a way to break the need for an immediate audience?

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a weakness to need feedback, although I can see how you'd be worried, since you got used to having a lot of feedback for relatively small pieces of writing. If you haven't tried SYW yet here on the forums, I think it'd be worth it, but I also think it's equally worth pushing yourself to finish a first draft without feedback. Not that you need to write in a vacuum all the time, but it's a good skill to have when you need it. I find that pushing through bad sections almost always leads to good sections, so I kind of write through the peaks and valleys, knowing I'll find something to enjoy even if I'm not loving the current spot.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, this sounds really challenging! That sense of paralysis is the worst and you have my sympathy.

My advice completely depends on what your ultimate goal for writing is. Do you want to write original fiction professionally? If so, you can’t rely on external validation. The professional world is pretty brutal and there’s a lot of waiting and silence (I say querying agents and getting the expected silence/form rejections). I also don’t think it’s necessarily fair to ask someone to read as your designated cheerleader, unless the favor is reciprocal. Reading takes time and effort. Asking someone to drop everything and read so you can continue is probably not going to be a viable solution. You might be able to get away with swapping chapters once a week or something, but as you’ve discovered finding CPs like that is very hard.

If you are just writing for fun, then why not try something like Wattpad or another fan community? The comment system might give you that hit of validation you need and you’ll be able to meet people who also enjoy whatever you’re writing about. I’m not involved in these types of things, so advice with a grain of salt. But if you comment and engage with others, that will probably increase the odds of them engaging with you.

Either way, I think it’s important to commit to finishing something, regardless of quality, so you can get over your fear. Developing that resilience and internal compass will help regardless of the path you pursue

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I used to be addicted to feedback and would endlessly hassle friends to read my WIP despite many of them not being big readers or not being interested in my genre. It was exhausting, for all of us, and I learned to stop asking.Eventually, I would only give samples to people who'd actually asked about my work and seemed genuinely interested. This was not a big group, but their feedback was very valuable both in terms of good suggestions and validation that I was on the right track.Mind you, some years went by between these two situations and I know I was a far better writer by the time people were genuinely showing interest in my work. Maybe that showed in the way I talked about the work? Maybe I'd learned to tease the interest of an interlocutor the way I'd learned to tease the interest of a reader?The biggest change came when I finally got published. All of a sudden everyone (even friends and family) was taking my authorial pretensions seriously and keen to read my WIP. These days I am in the fortunate position of having a dozen or so enthusiastic betas, but boy did I have to work for it.They're very hard to get when you're starting out. The only advice I can offer is concentrate on improving your writing, and learn to intrigue when talking about your work. Make them curious and you're more than halfway there. Oh, and don't bother with people who don't read much - that's a surprisingly (and depressingly) high proportion of people.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot there to pick apart, and others have offered many good suggestions.

My eye caught in one sport: the "is it good?" question.

Rather than thinking of writing for yourself, give yourself permission to write crap (and rewrite later). "Is it good?" isn't a useful question to ask anyway because it's too high-level--many people find "it was good" some of the harshest feedback to receive, since we write to move people, to make them think, to engage them. When you're used to getting frequent feedback you're also getting fairly useless feedback. Not to diminish the pleasure of it, mind, but if your goal is to do this professionally--and it doesn't have to be--then you should look at feedback as a diagnostic tool, as something more valuable than just eyes. If your goal is to get people to read your work recreationally, and you're writing for reading markets, then the "feedback" you really want is sales, reviews, etc. Not that you can count on that, as Pyrite Fool says, but you can use it as a goal to keep you pushing when things are tough.

If just read/response is what you most want, then I'd suggest a site like Wattpad. But be aware there can be major downsides to putting a story up on Wattpad. Think about your goals, and what you want as a writer.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
I did try SYW about eight years ago on a previous draft, but I'm currently sitting on the first 40k of the reworked project, and I know that is about ten times too long to share in one go, plus I'm oddly leery of sharing this one in pieces instead of a whole.

... probably something else I just need to try to push through, now that I think about it.