Hello, World!

jungwildeandfree

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations, new community!

My name is Michael, but I go by jungwildeandfree here and elsewhere; I have a lot of widely ranged interests and pursue them all at once with varying degrees of focus.

About me as a writer:

I grew up reading a lot of stuff, but I was always in awe of Lord Of The Rings, and am to this day inspired by Diane Duane's Young Wizards series. I like more books than that, but we'll start there. I started out writing fantasy and have written...a lot of novels, though it took me about ten years to finally pick one and start trying to sell it.

I'm a big fan of fantasy in general and softer sci-fi; when I write and read scifi it tends to be more in the direction of Ian Banks' Culture novels than The Martian (although The Martian was a pretty darn good book). I have completed a full final manuscript and am currently peddling the darn thing to publishing houses. It's about a suicidal necromancer and a priestess with impostor syndrome who team up to fight a zombie amnesiac and a half-demon with daddy issues.

I'm here because I also love beta reading, and do a little reading and freelance editing on the side, and one of the people I read for recommended this community to me! (Evan, if you're out there, hello!)

I run an extremely esoteric blog about anthropology, depth psychology, and the fall of western civilization. It's more upbeat than that description makes it sound.

About me as a person:

I find comfort and inspiration in humans, relationships, love, nature, and beauty. I am a sucker for a hard-won happy ending. I'm a top-down heavy-planning big-research style writer, so I love to hear about peoples' processes and diagrams and spreadsheets and all the other assorted phenomena that form the foundation of a planner's book. I am in awe of people who can seat-of-the-pants a draft. I love fish and will tell you 10,000 facts about the ocean. I'm tremendously easily distracted and can never resist the urge to make a pun as soon as I think of it.

That's all! Thanks for reading, and I'll see you around!

--Michael

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you join us, Michael. Welcome!

Maryn, taught to cough into her hand, damn it

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Michael - test the water, but watch out for the fish. Some do bite, but nothing too serious. There is a lot of great material here to review and help you through the writing and submittal process. I am currently prepping to query agents with my work. Hopefully will be ready come April. Best of luck!

Vixie

Mostly harmless liar
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, welcome!

I was intrigued enough about your blog that I googled and found it, and you got me at "The world sucks." I wish I could be more hopepunk though, I'm more of a blithe nihilist.

I'm also of the obsessive planner type, scheming in my little spreadsheets and trying to find patterns and make sense out of things where there clearly isn't one.

And I'll defend puns to the death. I'm not afraid of any pun-ishment.

See you around!

called2voyage

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael! I would say welcome, but you've been here for a week longer than me, lol. Cool to see another fantasy writer joining, and it's great that you've made so much progress on your publishing goals! Your work sounds interesting. Is it modern-ish fantasy or more traditional setting?